December 2014 Moms

Another germaphobe question..

Do you ladies think it is reasonable to ask out of town guests who come via plane or train to change their clothing before holding the new baby? Or, is that too paranoid? I refuse to pass her around like a football but there are some people who I can't say no to, such as my MIL. She will come by plane a week or so after the birth.

Re: Another germaphobe question..

• I think your probably being a bit paranoid unless she smokes and her clothes smell like smoke. Im big on the whole i dont want my child around cigarette smoke cause i think it stinks and the last thing i want is my child smelling like an ash tray after being held but thats just me. If she doesnt then i think as long as you have them wash their hands before holding her and they definitely arent sick than you should be fine.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • I also was weird about making people put sanitizer om their hands after they washed them before they held my son so maybe im to paranoid or not paranoid enough....
  • I can understand why you would feel this way, I always feel like I have grime on me after traveling.  Who knows your MIL may want a shower and to feel clean before holding the baby.  I wouldn't say anything though.
    D14 - Free For All
    In loving memory of Baby HP42 and all D14 Angel Babies

• Thanks ladies! I travel a lot for work. Seems like there is always someone near me on the plane who is sick! Perhaps asking our guests to change cloths is too much tho!
  • I think that's a bit much.

As a note I have a photo of my sister fresh off a plane holding my DD for the first time. Makes me tear up each time I see it and I can't imagine prolonging that moment.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• While I think it's a bit much to ask guests to do that, my MIL would totally change her clothes before visiting without being asked.  She changed her clothes after visiting a hospital before coming over to our house to see my DS when he was an infant.  

Maybe some guests will change without being asked.  Maybe.  

DS 06/2013

DD 12/2014

• You can always use a receiving blanket over the persons clothing when holding the baby. Like you would throw a burp cloth over your shoulder, instead a blanket. Just a thought.
  • Being too much of a germaphobe can actually backfire. You obviously don't want someone with whooping cough or the flu coughing all over the baby. But, their immune systems need to be beefed up. My dad was telling me that early exposure to normal dirt, dust and the like can help prevent everything from allergies to Hodgkins Disease later in life. So relax a bit!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • amedbery said:

Being too much of a germaphobe can actually backfire. You obviously don't want someone with whooping cough or the flu coughing all over the baby. But, their immune systems need to be beefed up. My dad was telling me that early exposure to normal dirt, dust and the like can help prevent everything from allergies to Hodgkins Disease later in life. So relax a bit!

While this is true long term, it does not apply to the first few months of a newborn's life. Their bodies are just learning how to regulate temperature so fevers can get extremely dangerous very quickly. Their lungs are also more fragile and their airways are tiny so coughs and congestion are a much bigger deal. Most of the time people are contagious before becoming symptomatic so it isn't enough to just ask people not to cough on the baby.

OP, if you want to ask people to change after a plane ride, I say go for it. Your baby= your rules. I honestly don't think it will do much good as far as germ exposure, but if it eases your mind, do it.

Another solution would be to ask people not to kiss the baby's face or hands and to wash their hands before touching him/her. Wash the baby's hands and face after visitors leave as well. Ask people to take their shoes off at the door if they are visiting your home. Obviously, you can't keep your baby in a bubble but it isn't a bad idea to take some extra (reasonable) precautions for the first few months.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"