Baby Names
Options

We've decided on a name! But...

With the help of you lovely ladies and after going back and forth with DH we have finally decided to name Chase Edward's little sister Elle Josephine (after her great-grandmothers Eleanor and Josephine). BUT... my first cousin and his wife recently named their daughter Eloise and call her Ella/Ellie. We are essentially estranged and have no relationship other than keeping up with one another on Facebook and a random check-in email once in a blue moon.  However, we do have similar friend circles since we grew up in same area and attended same schools.  Would this give you pause?  I have always had Ella has my name to honor my grandmother but my DH likes Elle. I'm willing to compromise since I picked Chase. Now I worry it will appear as if I'm copying them? Any thoughts/opinions on this one or should I just name my kid what I want?

Re: We've decided on a name! But...

• Options
    I think it's fine, but if it's bothering you that much, would you consider flipping the names around?  Josephine Elle?

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think you should still use it if you love it. If you don't see each other that often then it doesn't matter. It's a beautiful name!!
  • Options
    If it was a close family member I'd probably avoid, but someone that you're barely in touch with? Go for it.
  • Options
    I understand your hesitation, but I'd use it.

I do like Helenah's idea of flipping them if you can't get past it.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I wouldn't even worry about it. Elle is lovely.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• Options
    Thanks for all of your responses so far.  I truly appreciate them.  I feel better about our decision now.  For us Elle Josephine is the perfect name and I would hate to have any regrets later on.
  • Options

That's a beautiful name!  And I wouldn't overthink it too much.

- Jrom828

• Options
    Use it!
    BabyFruit Ticker image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I have a cousin who named her daughter Fiona (but a different, dumb spelling), but I never see her (I can count on one hand how many times I've seen her since I was a kid). I still totally plan on keeping Fiona on my short list if we ever have a girl.

Or if you want, you could do Josephine Elle (or Eleanor). But I really love Josephine.
  • Options
    If it makes you feel any better, my first cousin (who I only 'see' on FB) and I both named our kids after our grandma (her son has the masculine version of the name, my DD has the feminine version - think Robert and Roberta) and no one cares. So, I'm totally on board with your kid having a vaguely similar name to your cousin's kid. 
  • Options
    I don't think anyone will think you copied the name, but I always throw my story out there for people who claim they're "estranged" or "distanced" from family.

My aunt estranged herself from the entire family.  Her kids never knew the family at all growing up.  Well now they're adults and surprise surprise - actively involved in the family.  My cousin "John", who used to live across the country, moved to the same town as his cousin "John."  They now see each other at least once a month, if not more often.  We all have to refer to them as "JohnSmith" and "JohnBrown." 

Just because you're not close now doesn't mean your children won't be close in the future. 
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
  • Options
    4N6s said:

Fine.

I mean really, @4N6s‌?? You're not being helpful or offering any kind of opinion. If you aren't going to contribute anything useful or answer any of the OP's questions, why post at all?
    Started adoption process in Jan. 2011.
    3 failed matches in 2012.
    Surprise pregnancy in Aug. 2012.
    Precious baby boy "HC" born May 2013.
    Began researching EA in 2014.
    No longer pursuing EA due to fibroid complications.
    Officially on the adoption home study wait list.

• Options
    And OP, go with your original choice. Elle Josephine is lovely.
    Started adoption process in Jan. 2011.
    3 failed matches in 2012.
    Surprise pregnancy in Aug. 2012.
    Precious baby boy "HC" born May 2013.
    Began researching EA in 2014.
    No longer pursuing EA due to fibroid complications.
    Officially on the adoption home study wait list.

• Options
    Definitely Elle. 
  • Options
    LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!! Especially since you are both agreed on it. Congrats
  • Options
    Sorry... I thought the name was completely fine! I was trying to keep it short and sweet. 
    JamieBert should pick the name she wants and not worry about anything else. 
    :)
  • Options
    Do it. If someone bring it up tell them that's you grandmother's name and you weren't aware there was a copy right.....Or...just say it was your grandmother's name (damn hormones) 
  • Options
    Use it. I love agree with PP. You rarely see them and it's not even the same name. And even if it was so what. You love it and that's what matters.
    July 13 Siggy Challenge December'14: Christmas/Holiday Movie
    Bonus: Ugly Sweater

photo 89022d03-637e-4c13-aa0a-686e2c5d2bd8_zps58cec4a3.png
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I completely agree with everyone - it's a lovely name and I think it's safe to use. You guys aren't close and even if the kids end up being close, Eloise and Elle are two different names. It's not like friends never end up having the same name anyway. There are tons of Jennifer's who are BFFs with another Jennifer.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"