September 2014 Moms
Options

How often are you feeding LO?

I know newborns are supposed to nurse 8-12x per day.  LO is about 2 weeks old and has been nursing 8x per day until recently, when he started sleeping a longer stretch at night, so I've only gotten in 7 feeds the last couple of days.  Do you think this is enough?  He's still having plenty of wet and dirty diapers, but I wonder if I should be trying harder to give him an extra feed somewhere during the day, even though I feel like all I do is nurse!  What are you all doing, in terms of number of feeds?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How often are you feeding LO?

• Options
    I always attempt to feed my LO at the three hour mark but if she refuses I let her go up to 5 without bugging her.  We are officially over our birth weight now and had a good first pedi appointment today so I think we're okay.  I wouldn't stress about number of feedings, stress over number of diapers and if she is having good waking periods or not.  Also trust yourself a little bit, this was the BEST advice I got from my pedi appointment today. No one knows your baby better than you. If you feel like you need to feed more, than do it, but if your baby seems happy then why fight with them?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LO feeds about 7 or 8 times a day at a month old. I also usually cut him off after about 10 min on each side. His latch tends to slide off and he's not productively sucking...plus it hurts when he does that!! In the past 5 days, he gained 11oz so I know he's getting enough. Often times I will pull him off to relatch him and he'll refuse to open so I figure he's full.

TTC #1 Since October 2012
    DX PCOS May 2013
    Clomid 50-150mg- No Response
    Moved to RE October 2013
    Nov. 2013: IUI #1 Letrozole + Ovidrel = BFN
    Dec. 2013: IUI #2 Letrozole + Ovidrel= BFP on 1/8/2014 !! EDD 9/17/2014
    Beta #1 (12 dpo): HCG 27, Progesterone 15 (starting on supplements)
    Beta #2 (15 dpo): HCG 297, Progesterone 29
    Beta #3 (17 dpo): HCG 667, Progesterone 34
    1st Ultrasound 1/28 (6 weeks + 1) Baby measuring exactly as it should, HB 118!
    2nd Ultrasound 2/5 Baby measuring 7w4d, HB 133. Everything looks perfect!
    3rd Ultrasound 4/29 (A/S) Our Baby BOY is measuring perfectly and everything looked great! HB160
    Diagnosed with Pre-E at 36 weeks, placed on bed rest, induction schedule for 37 weeks. 

BFP #2 on 7/30/15 EDD 4/7/16 MC @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3 on 7/23/16 EDD 3/30/16
  • Options
    Since DS gained back all his weight at his 1 week appt our pedi said to just nurse on demand. So I don't really keep track. He does normally nurse every 2-3 hours like clockwork. But as long as Lo has plenty of wet/ dirty diapers and isn't losing weight I would think 7 feeding a would be fine.
    BFP #1 7/23/12: EDD 4/1/13.  MMC discovered on 9/4/12 @ 10w1d
    BFP# 2 3/9/13:  EDD 11/12/13 m/c 3/15/13 @ 5w3d
    RPL testing shows one copy of MTHFR gene mutation. 
     BFP#3 12/24/13: EDD 9/5/14 Beta #1 13 DPO 168! Beta #2 16 DPO 895!
     First US 1/9/14 @ 5w6d Strong HB!
    2nd US 1/23/14 @ 7w6d baby is still doing great! 3rd US 1/31/14  9w0d: Beautiful wiggly baby! Keep growing baby!
    3/17/14 US @ 15w3d:Its a BOY!

My rainbow baby Isaac has arrived! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The first week I made sure to feed LO every 2-2.5 hours. Now that she's well past her birth weight, I feed her on demand. Lately, she's very demanding so she may be going through a growth spurt. As long your LO is still gaining, he should be fine =)

• Options
    edited September 2014
    I nursed DS every 2-3 hours max and on demand until 2 weeks. He hit a pound over birth weight so we went to on demand with a max of 4 hours. If he hasn't woken up to eat within that time, I wake him. He's just over a month now, and somedays I feel like he's attached to me all day long, but it's working well for us! We average 10 sessions a day.
  • Options
    LO would nurse about every 2 hours; clustering sometimes but going 4 hours at night. So I've been nursing on demand whenever she is rooting. I feel lost too, I wonder if she's getting enough. I took her back to pedi to evaluate her weight. She gained 6 oz in 3days but still doubting if everything I'm doing is correct.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
                                   DS 10/02/09  DD 03/28/11
  • Options
    She nurses every 1.5-2 hours during the day and goes 4-6 hours at night. I would guess about 9 or 10 times a day total? I wouldn't worry unless he's not gaining weight or having enough diapers. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    JustCricketJustCricket member
    edited October 2014
    per ped's instructions we're feeding her every 3 hours (long enough for her tummy to empty but often enough for her to gain well). If she gets fussy befor thr 3hr mark I'll start feeding her early but 99% of the time she's content with just that. once she's a "normal" nb size I'm hoping we'll be allowed to let her sleep as long as she wants at night.

eta-6w and some change but she was only 5lb11oz at last weigh in (still gaining fantastically!!)

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Options
    also in regard to your question I (not a doc here) would say as long as baby is gaining and has plenty of wet and dirty then you're fine. If you're concerned ask your ped.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"