Breastfeeding

Pregnant and bfing

Question for STMs out there. I have an 8 month old and just found out I'm 7 weeks pregnant with #2 (!!!). My supply has really tanked since getting pregnant, in fact that was the biggest symptom/tip-off that something was going on. We've been getting by okay, though I think sometimes DD gets a bit frustrated and would like more milk than she gets. There are times when I have my boob in both hands squeezing it as hard as I can to try to get more out for her! I've supplemented a bit with formula and she's been happy with that, but I'm wondering what the more long-term prognosis is likely to be. My goal was to bf for a year, but I'm not sure if we'll make it. I know it's different for everyone, but generally speaking, what have your experiences been? Did your supply stay low throughout a second pregnancy? Did it bounce back at some point? Were you able to keep bfing as long as you wanted? Any regrets? Any advice? 

Re: Pregnant and bfing

• Oh, also - beyond the supply issues I'm also wondering how things went logistically with being able to nurse around a growing belly! :)
  • As far as a growing belly, I think you'll be just fine, I'm not a small woman and my lo has not complained :) As far as supply, from what I've read here, getting pregnant when baby is less than 1, does generally mean you'll need to supplement with formula. I'm not sure exactly how much because it's hard to know how much baby is getting while you're nursing. I'd probably be keeping a close eye on wet diapers and weight gain and go from there. Congratulations!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I am currently BF and 21 weeks pregnant. My LO is 15 months so I became pregnant when she was 10.5 months old. My pumping output decreased pretty quickly, so I used my freezer stash for daycare the last month to get her to one year. The nipple pain was terrible for most of the first trimester, but did get better.
    My LO still loves to nurse, but I don't think I have much there. Good luck with continuing to BF and congratulations.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"