Breastfeeding
Options

breast milk

So with my first baby my milk didn't come in until 3 days after he was born. How can I make my milk come in sooner with my second? Is it possible to make it come in earlier so that I don't have to worry about my LO not getting enough to eat right after he/she is born?

Re: breast milk

• Options
    You can't make it come in sooner, it's hormone driven. You can only make it come in stronger. Day 3 is completely normal. Baby really does get all they need from the colostrum which is available immediately.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

You can't make it come in sooner, it's hormone driven. You can only make it come in stronger. Day 3 is completely normal. Baby really does get all they need from the colostrum which is available immediately.

This.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Agree with PPs! That being said--do skin to skin after delivery and don't let staffers take the baby to weighed, etc. until after the baby is done nursing....unless there is a medical reason. Continue skin to skin and nurse often. I think my milk came in 2.5 days after birth so 3 days later seems pretty good to me! There is a great section near the beginning of The Nursing Mother's Companion book regarding medication during labor, skin to skin, etc. and how it impacts milk coming in.

TTC since April 2011. DH Dx MFI in February 2012. BFP #1: 7.16.12. MMC dx: 8.22.12, D&C 8.28.12, TTC Again November 2012. DH Varicocele repair November 2012; Repeat SA showed "dramatic" improvement February 2013 (awesome!)
    BFP #2: 3.26.13, EDC: 12.7.13. Anya born December 9th, 2013!
  • Options
    You've posted this a few places. Same answers each place.
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"