October 2013 Moms

talk to me about smash cakes

So I'm super behind on party planning, and I refuse to go to pinterest for ideas because it's just going to make me feel like an under-achiever. So I'll throw it out here: talk to me about smash cakes.

Does it matter what color you frost them? I bought chocolate frosting at the store today but later googled smash cake pics and they were all little girls in tutus with pink cakes.

Does LO eat it in their high chair or on a draped-in area for pictures and quick clean up? LO's high chair cover doesn't remove for cleaning--worst design EVER.

What does LO wear? Fully dressed sounds like a mess. We have some adorable cloth diapers I could put her in. No tutu here, though I could find some tulle and make one... but that just doesn't seem like something I would do, so scratch that. What will your LO wear?

Do you actually let LO eat the cake? or just snap a few pics and take it away (that sounds mean!)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image

Re: talk to me about smash cakes

• We didn't do official pics or anything (just snapped our own) but we did naked in diaper in her high chair. Cloth diaper sounds adorable. Some people do a party hat which is cute. We let her eat her slice of cake. She looooooved it and we figured one time wouldn't hurt. She had a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. 
    DD1 born 9.20.13
    #2 due 12.23.17 

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Ours was marble cake with white, pink and gray frosting.

She was in her party outfit, but with a party hat and 1st birthday bib. She was tired and apprehensive so we don't have any pics of her going to town on that, but on vaca on her actual birthday we did a mojo cupcake naked in the high hair and she played with that, but probably played more than she ate.
  • wedding06 said:

@Lee81‌ I love your hair in those pics!!

Lol, thanks @wedding06‌. My mom never really knew what to do with curly hair so, sadly, my hair looked pretty much like that until I was probably 13. It was not cute.
  • So I can vouch for the no red frosting. For DS, the theme was Uno (get it?) so I thought it would be brilliant to make a red Uno card for a cake. Just don't. The frosting stained his face for days and he shit red for what seemed like weeks, freaking out anyone who changed his diaper. He looked cute doing it though.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • One of my friends made ours. Just a round white cake with white, blue, and green buttercream icing. DS touched it and are some but hated it (he's never had anything close to being that sweet). We put him in his high hair but it's easy to clean up. We just stripped him down to his diaper because in his high hair no one can see what he's wearing. You can do whatever you want for the smash cake. I feel like there are no rules and everyone is different.

Im going for this.  Ill have a photo booth set up for the party so I will lay paper down before the smash.  No chocolate looks like poop on their face.
    image  image
    Baby Muffy Due July.8.2015!

• Monster smash cake from the grocery store... 6 bucks. Orange frosting. She's going to be in a diaper and her high chair. I will have the hose ready! Daddy will take pics. We are going simple.
    • Married 6/1/2012
    • BFP #1 - 11/17/2012 -  MC 12/10/2012
    • BFP #2 - 2/12/2013 - EDD 10/17/2013 - DD Born 10/10/2013
    • BFP #3 - 1/29/2014 - Ectopic pregnancy discovered 1/31/2014
    • BFP #4 - 9/28/2014 - EDD 6/4/2015 - DS Born 5/31/2015

• I am making a pumpkin spice cake with orange frosting, and he'll just be in a cloth diaper and a party hat (if he'll leave it on his head...not holding my breath for that). We have the ikea high chair that is all plastic, but if we didn't I think I'd just put him on the ground on a drop cloth or something... I'm letting him eat the whole thing but only bc it won't have very much sugar.
  • I'm making standard-sized healthy-ish carrot cupcakes with cream cheese frosting and giving her one. But now with all these cute posts you all are making me doubt my plan that I should have a cake for her. Anyway, she has a tutu halloween costume but I will take that off and she'll be in her onsie underneath to eat the cake. @Lee81 - amazing pics! Totally just inspired me to dig up my own first b-day pics for Cece's party! @egsquared- that cake is adorable! 

• I'm going to do DS's cake smash in the grass. I will keep him in his birthday onesie and jeans, with a change of clothes ready to go. I will let him eat as much as he wants because I'm a mean mom making the cake out of bananas and apple sauce .
  • @taylormarie923‌ - would you perchance have a "mean-mom" recipe to share???? :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    March Siggy Challenge: whatever you want! --> ORIGINAL CHALLENGE: GIF YOUR BABY!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I ordered a small 4'' cake at our local store.  I ordered chocolate, but the whole looking like poop thing is kind of making me reconsider, but I probably won't change it.

I'll probably just put her in a cloth diaper and a birthday t-shirt we were given as a handme down (so if it get's ruined it's okay).

I have a high chair decorating kit and although it doesn't really match (given to us) I might use it. 

R&K married 4.15.11. TTC #1 since 7.11.12

BFP #1 9.9.12 EDD 5.21.13 c/p 9.12.12 at 4 weeks 1 day

BFP #2 10.15.12 EDD 6.28.13 c/p 10.19.12 at  4 weeks.

BFP #3 1.19.13 EDD 10.1.13 Eleanor born 10.7.13 at 40 weeks 6 days

13dpo hcg@32, progesterone@13.7, 15dpo hcg@110, 16dpo progesterone@25.9

My blog:Urban Times in Michigan ~ My Bfp Chart

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm pretty sure I'll be doing a pumpkin banana cake with slightly sweetened cream cheese frosting. I just decided it'll be on the floor and I'll leave him in his diaper and bow tie. 
  • I'm going to do DS's cake smash in the grass. I will keep him in his birthday onesie and jeans, with a change of clothes ready to go. I will let him eat as much as he wants because I'm a mean mom making the cake out of bananas and apple sauce .
    I was also considering the grass for a location. I mean, she's not going to eat down to the bottom of the cake, so she won't eat the dirt, and our location is sooo beautiful for an outdoor shoot.

Why no, it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that there's less cleanup! Silly.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image
  • @lia1303 I found a kid size red and white striped tie that Im going to use from a local store
    image  image
    Baby Muffy Due July.8.2015!

• The bakery included a small white smash cake. We changed her from her party dress into a onesie and tutu.
    November: Doing my own thing

• LO's smash cake will be blue.

It is a monster.

• @taylormarie923‌ - would you perchance have a "mean-mom" recipe to share???? :)
    Sorry I just now saw the notification for this!  I used this recipe, but found that it came out a little dry so I added 3/4c of full fat greek yogurt to the batter. 

• Stella's cake & smash cake. Lemon/raspberry for the larger cake. The smash cake was plain vanilla. We also did a dozen chocolate cup cakes. Pretty much had it covered.
  • A girl I went to high school with posted pics where she put her lo in a diaper cover and sat on the floor and had a banner in the background with the month by month pictures printed on different pieces of scrap paper and hung together on a ribbon which I thought was really cute.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"