May 2014 Moms

Are you still breastfeeding or pumping and when will you stop?

IBackBevoIBackBevo member
edited September 2014 in May 2014 Moms
Breastfeeding questions
IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:

Are you still breastfeeding or pumping and when will you stop? 215 votes

I never breastfed.
1% 4 votes
I did at first, but no longer do.
10% 22 votes
I am still, but plan to stop at 4-6 months.
7% 17 votes
I am still and plan to stop at 6-9 months.
11% 24 votes
I am still and plan to stop at 9-12 months.
23% 50 votes
I am still and plan to stop when baby self weans or at 12+ months.
40% 86 votes
I will never stop. I will feed all z babies from my breasts.
3% 7 votes
SS
2% 5 votes

Re: Are you still breastfeeding or pumping and when will you stop?

• I chose the 12 month / self wean option. I had originally thought I'd try to go 6 months, but now I get really sad at the thought of him weaning, so I hope to keep going a while longer.
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • Loading the player...
  • I'd like to make it a year this time (made it 11.5 months with DS). Will reevaluate after that.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• I put 12+, first goal was 6 months but it's been going so well lately that I'm going to try for at least a year. And I still pump twice a day, getting really tired of that though.
  • Still BF. I chose the 12 / wean option. But I will continue until DS is on cows milk full time.

I am debating with pumping to offer BM in a glass at that point but not from the breast. I've been been awful about pumping so far so I doubt I'd do it.
  • I voted 6-9 months but I'm going to start weaning off the pump around 6 months I pump about 45-55 oz in 4-5 pumps a day so I think it will take a while to scale back. Then I'll use my freezer stash which is about 2500-3000 oz at this point and will hopefully be about 3500-4000 at that point. Hopefully between the stash and solids we'll make it to a year.
  • I started weaning a few weeks ago. But I still do 1-2 nursing sessions a day. Not nursing is emotionally harder than I anticipated.
  • I voted SS because I am really not sure.  With my first two I was EBF until six months, but after that I did a breast/bottle combo and then all formula after 9 or 10 months.  I would like to make it to 12 months this time, but may end up doing a bit of a combo before that.  Having to nurse with other.small children is a challenge sometimes!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mommy to three beautiful boys! 
    Benjamin Michael 5/17/10
    Lucas Gabriel 3/26/12
    Graham Jonathan 5/1/14

• DS was never a great nurser so he just nurses once in the morning when the flow is easy. The rest of the time I pump and bottle feed. I'd love to make it to a year but basically EPing for that long seems unrealistic for me. 6 months is my short term goal and I'd be pretty happy if we made it to 9.
  • My goal is just to avoid having to buy formula, so I'll plan to nurse until he's on cow's milk. I don't love breastfeeding and would like to have my body back to myself for a few months before we start TFAS.

image     image    
  • I absolutely love breastfeeding but pumping is really starting to annoy me. All day at work I thunkt how am I goin to make it then that middle of the night feed steals my heart right back n I wonder how I am ever going to stop. I'm sure teething and that first Bite will also make me question things
    Anniversary 

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I voted I used to but don't anymore. I stop close to 4 months to get on medication

It's a BOY

• DD is 6 months on 11/11 and we are leaving for a week long vaca without her during thanksgiving (destination wedding). So going to start weaning 11/1, hopefully get down to just nursing before bed by 11/11 then completely done BFing by the time we leave. I hope this is feasible!
  • I'm another one with one-step-at-a-time goals. I'm really glad we made it to four months. Six months would be my next goal, but with traveling over the holidays, it would be so much easier to still be doing some BF. So, I guess the next goal is through the end of the year. After that we'll see how it goes.
  • SS: I'll kick her off the boob on her first birthday.

• danabsd said:
    SS: I'll kick her off the boob on her first birthday.
    This. He gets till one year then I am done. Whatever is left from my freezer stash he can have in sippy cups.
  • With ds1, I breastfed/pumped until 6 months. With DS2, I stopped breastfeeding at 2 months.

T 2.12 | W 5.14

• Can't stop won't stop.

I reallyyy like nursing, and we haven't had any issues (yet!). I'm so sad thinking it will end someday, but I also don't work and don't have to worry about pumping...
  • I am exclusively pumping and will stop when he is a year old. I may be able to stop a month or two early since I have a freezer stash.
    TTC since 10/11
    Me, 26- Normal. DH, 28- Low morphology (2-4%)
    August 2013 100mg Clomid+TI=BFP!
    Beta #1,2,3=136, 1351, 5328
    BabyFruit Ticker
    imageimage
  • I chose 12+. We just got back to nursing from EPing and I'm hoping after the battle to get where we areare that we can keep it up. Our first 6 weeks were so rough with my oversupply issues and whatnot. Now I can't imagine stopping. I'm home on mat leave for a year so now I don't have to pump, that is a big factor in wanting to keep going. I figure by the time I am back to work he will be on greatly reduced nursing schedule (morning and before bed probably) so I won't have to pump.

I was reading extended BF check-in on the BF board today and it was so inspiring.
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • I LOVE being a nursing mom. It's a special bond that I get to share with my baby - I nurtured him in my womb and now I nurture him outside the womb. But, I hate being a pumping mom. I feel tied to my pump and it's starting to affect my work (which is tough as the bread winner of the family). I voted for 6-9 months because I will likely start weaning when he starts experimenting with solids (6m with BLW), which is beginning of November. Hoping to be weaned by end of the year. I'd go 12+ months if I was a SAHM.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited September 2014
    I voted 12+ but it depends if I remain unemployed or go back to work. If I stay at home with the kids I'll let DD2 self wean. But if I get my shit together and actually get a job I will probably stop. I really hated pumping at work with DD1 and am not sure I want to deal with it with DD2. Either way the absolute minimum goal is 6months.

ETA @IBackBevo‌ are you managing to pump at work with the busy schedule/court? Also curious since I haven't seen you here in a while, were you able to fix DS1 sleep issues? My DD1's sleep has regressed a lot since DD2 was born!
  • my goal was 6 months and now that I'm back at work, we'll see. I EP and Ultimately it was easier for me than nursing. But now that my time and sleep are in such precious supply, the pump is a burden. I just really don't want to buy formula. But I've already cut back to 4 pumps a day (20-23 oz) and supplementing so who knows if I'll get to 6.

imageimageimage
    H e n r y  May 21, 2014

• I voted 9-12 months but we'll see. I'm considering letting her self-wean after a year but will see how I feel as that time approaches.
  • lica001 said:

ETA @IBackBevo‌ are you managing to pump at work with the busy schedule/court? Also curious since I haven't seen you here in a while, were you able to fix DS1 sleep issues? My DD1's sleep has regressed a lot since DD2 was born!

We bought Ferber's book (can't think of the name) and tried that method and it has worked remarkably well. I also think that having DS1 home with a nanny has helped.  He was in daycare before and I don't think he was getting a good nap...plus he was sick all of the time.

As for the pumping thing, I just have been taking it day by day.  I typically get up and feed the baby, then get ready and get everything together, then feed the baby again and then pump before I leave...usually it is about 8 before I leave.  Then I usually pump again between 11-noon and again about 2-3.  However, today I didn't get to pump until after 1 so I just cut out my afternoon session because otherwise I won't have enough for my son tonight.  The big draw back to going back to work has been that DS2 is not eating a lot when I am gone during the day and it is hard for him to make that up between when I get home in the evening and when he goes to bed...so this has resulted in him getting up 1-2 times in the motn.  Last night, he got up at 1 and at 4.  This sucks when you don't get to bed until 10 and have to get up between 6-7.  And it sucks even more because he was sttn (like 10+ hours) prior to me going back to work.  But oh well. Not much I can do about it.  

IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • I nursed my daughter for 16 months (until I got pregnant with my son).  I'd like to nurse for between 1-2 years for my son.  I am off work until the end of march, so hopefully I can just switch to WCM when he goes to the sitter and nurse morning/evenings/weekends from that point onward.  That's what I did with my daughter.

• I'm trying to make it to 12 months.  Being back to work and pumping a lot is hard.  And I've had AF back since 8w pp, so that kills my supply for several days before it starts.  But I'm keeping at it!
    My Blog
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

TTC #1 since February 2011
    Me: 29 (3/5/13- high NK cells)  DH: 28 (5/8/12- MFI low morph and motility)
    Cycle #21 (IUI#1), Cycle #22 (HSG 9/21/12) and Cycle #23 (IUI#2)=  image
    Cycle #24- December Snow Bunny IVF #1
    ER 12/6/12 (14R, 11M, 9F), ET 12/9/12 transferred 2 day 3 embies
    Bleeding and low betas=very cautious image C/P 5W3D
    Cycle #26 March Lucky Duck- FET #1
    scheduled 3/20/13- CANCELLED- lining issues
    Cycle #27 May Emerald- FET #1.2
    delayed- Starting Trental for 3 months + natural cycles Cycle #28-30=  image
    Cycle #31 August Shooting Star- FET #1.3 
    transferred 1 hatching blast 8/21/13= imageBetas 8/30 (108) and 9/3 (565)

U/S 9/19/13- HR is 128!  U/S #2 10/4/13- HR is 174!
    It's a BOY!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"