January 2015 Moms

Car seat Base?

Question..
We have the Chicco Keyfit 30 infant car seat - we have the base it came with + one we purchased on top of that so H would have one in his car.
Today my MIL says "should we have one for our car? For when you feel comfortable to let us take her somewhere?" (which, btw, I would be fine with at some point- I trust my in laws fully. Not likely right away, but eventually).   She even said she would pay. But it's like $84 for that base. And even if it's not my own money, I don't want her to waste it if it's stupid for them to have a base.  They won't be taking her THAT much- does it warrant a base in their car? How easy are they to just switch cars? (i.e. take out of my car and just put in theirs).. seems more logical, I just haven't ever installed one to know how easy or difficult they are to do that.  Opinions? 
(Zoe Claire- born at 33.6 weeks- November 19, '14 - 5lbs 15oz)

Re: Car seat Base?

• I agree with @sassquatch‌ about car seat bases being more for convenience,but not a necessity. We still haven't decided if we are going to purchase a second base to keep in H's car since 90% of the time we will be using my car.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • It's super easy. This was one of the reasons we went with this model for our first (and just got another for this baby). The hardest part is finding the metal loops smushed between the seat to hook the LATCH system into. Other than that, it's literally a few clicks and you're done. Now, if you in laws are old like mine and complain about their arthritic hands all the time, then maybe it's a good idea for them to have their own that is always installed so they don't have to mess with it. Otherwise, you would be able to transfer yours or your husbands quite quickly.
  • Loading the player...
  • I do know you don't have to use a base, but I think I'd be comfortable with that because it's what they're used to?  They used a base with my BIL's kids so it's what "they know" and it's one less thing I would have to worry about.  I don't mind to install it myself when they need it.  But now I'm just thinking they should get one- if they don't care about the expense, it may just be easier.
  • Can you try to get a base second hand? We didn't get a base for my H's car because they're not really necessary, and we'll be in my car most of the time anyway. But if we did get one for him I'd try to get used.
  • I agree with PPs, bases are made for connivence and are not a necessity. I think buying a 3rd $84 base is a waste of money personally. You can always remove the base from your car or your H car if she is going to be babysitting or just go without. Or if you can find a used one that might be good.

There are videos on YouTube that explain how to install a car seat without a base. Like this one...
    https://youtu.be/ckoDPO_pNrM

Pregnancy TickerimageBaby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• I agree with PPs, bases are made for connivence and are not a necessity. 
    Yeah, that's kinda it though. They're not exactly spring chickens and I kinda want what would be easiest for them- and I think that would be just to plop the carseat in the base. H said he'll install it today to see how easy it is to get in/out- if it's a piece of cake, I may just switch ours back and forth. If not, I'll let 'em get their own I guess (I don't think THEY mind in the least, I was just trying to save them some money).
  • I do know you don't have to use a base, but I think I'd be comfortable with that because it's what they're used to?  They used a base with my BIL's kids so it's what "they know" and it's one less thing I would have to worry about.  I don't mind to install it myself when they need it.  But now I'm just thinking they should get one- if they don't care about the expense, it may just be easier.

Maybe you could have them just get a convertible one now--that way if they only end up driving her around a few times before she's over 20 pounds, it isn't a "waste".  
    Yes - how soon do you think they will be driving with her? Your bucket seat won't last forever and if they will need a car seat in the future anyways, you might as well just buy a convertible seat that will last for a few years.
    They probably won't be taking her at all in the very beginning, and not a lot for months.
    DD#1 (6), DD#2 (4), DD#3 (0)
  • My parents got a base it was just easier. They also pick E up from daycare often so they used it a lot. I found it a pain to take the base out so I am glad they had it!
  • Unless they are going to be driving her regularly the first 6 months, it's really not worth it. I'd just have them a convertible that can be used from infancy up. They will get a lot more use out of it. You can also install the bucket seat without the base, so there's that option as well.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• The car seat you chose is rated as one of the easiest for a proper install. We took it off the shelf at BRU and tried it out in our car- it is VERY easy. I would not buy a third base for them. Take it out of H's car. I would just install it for them. I would never let anyone take my child in the bucket seat without the base (KeyFit 30 does not require a base) just because they are less likely to get a proper instal that way, and I'm a freak about car seat safety (I would also NEVER buy a used anything related to a car seat). Try the base out though and you will see how easy it is.
  • Installing bases is way easier than installing convertibles. And that is a lot of money for an extra base. I wouldn't find the expense worth it, unless they are driving her at least weekly. My MIL had a base for the carseat we used with DDs 1 and 2, but she babysat them 5 days a week as infants while we worked. She did not get one for the car seat we used with DD3, and it took like 30 seconds to put my base in her car when she was driving her.

I'd push them towards a convertible, which can be used from the beginning, if they persist that they need a car seat.

• It takes all of 5 seconds to put that base in a car. We had one base and shared it in 2 cars np
  • Unless she will be taking the baby a lot or when they won't see you before picking the baby up (like from daycare), then I don't see a point. The bases are really easy to install. Plus, if you read the whole manual, you don't even need the base. The base just makes it easier to know it's in right once the base is set. We only had one base with our other two and will do the same for this time. We're getting the Chicco Keyfit 30 too this time. As others said, you also won't be using the seat for that long. If you make it a year, that's considered a long run in the infant seat. By then, most babies are too heavy to easily carry in the seat. They are also able by that point to fit into a stroller without the infant attachment.
  • I was a nanny and we switched the car seat back and forth every day. Granted, it was a convertible, but once you learn it, it only takes a few minutes maximum to install even with proper precautions.

My Mom wanted to buy the car base, but I encouraged her to just buy a good convertible car seat. We live far away and won't visit that often, so it doesn't seem worth it to purchase a base for probably a week maximum visiting them before LO outgrows the infant seat.

It is an added hassle to get LO in and out of a convertible, but if it isn't a frequent thing, it may be less of a hassle than installing the base (or just snapping in the infant seat using the buckle, if you prefer).
    ************************SIGGY WARNING***********************

Me: 29      DH:  32
    Off birth control March 2012 - Actively trying Sept 2012-April 2014
    Unexplained Infertility
    BFP on May 5th after Follistim & IUI #3
    Ryan Henry - born 1/10/15, 7 lb 5 oz, 20 1/4 inches

NTNP for a sibling starting March 2015
    Waiting on cycle to resume while EBF

imageimage

• My sister has used the Chicco Key Fit for both of her kids as well and my mom said that she's getting a base for her car, so if I got the same one then it would be really easy on all of us. Done and Done. I'm all about ease when it comes to babies because there will be enough complications as it is. I say if it's something they want to do to make everyone's life just a tiny bit easier, why not? We also live in TX so if we can avoid an extra 5 min in the heat then we're all for it. 
  • We never used a 2nd base with DS1. The base was a PITA to get tight, but it was super nice to click in and out with the car seat. 90%+ of the time we used my car. Occasionally DH would use his truck to pick him up from daycare (a couple blocks away) and he would just use the seat belt to secure the seat. When he outgrew the infant seat (at 5m) we bought a convertible for both cars. If it wouldn't be a frequent occurrence, I personally wouldn't bother with another base.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'm going to half disagree with PPs. I also had the Keyfit 30. DH drives a VW Jetta, I drive a Santa Fe. Taking the base in and out of my car wasn't easy, but it wasn't awful. But trying to install it in DH's car was a PAIN. The little metal loops are SO FAR below his seats that you have to dig into there. It's a giant pain and if I had to do that more than a few times, I'd buy another base. We bought a second convertible car seat for his car because it's just as hard to install that car seat.

I would say try to install it in your car. If it's easy, then switch the base out for the ILs. If it's a giant fiasco, buy an extra base. I found one on clearance at Target for only $35, so keep your eye on clearance sections. You might get lucky.
  • what @sassquatch said.  i used my carseat in my parents' car(s) and my friends' car without a base all the time, and it really wasn't a big deal to buckle in.  if she's not going to be in your ILs' car that often, i don't really think it's worth it to buy another base, or even to switch one of your bases to their car for a day or whatever.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    photo gum-chewers.gif
    BFP#1 EDD 04.20.2010, SUNSHINE baby boy born 03.31.2010
    BFP#2 EDD 12.07.2014, natural mc 04.09.2014 at 5w3d
    BFP#3 EDD 01.14.15, RAINBOW baby girl born 01.16.2015

photo quad_zps6309d559.jpg  image   

Lilypie First Birthday tickers  Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    jan'15 january siggy challenge: baby fails
  • aerotigergirlaerotigergirl member
    edited September 2014
    Ok, H did it and said it was really super easy- so I'll probably just let them use ours and switch it out. :)
    I think this is a great idea. We had the Chicco KeyFit 22 (just like yours, but older and it only went up to 22lbs back then) and installing the base correctly was super easy and took very little time. We never bothered to buy the extra base for H's vehicle at that point. Now, when we moved up to the convertible seat DS is in now, we both immediately saw the value of having the second seat permanently installed in H's vehicle. They're a much bigger PITA to move from one car to the other.

ETA: When we were using the KeyFit 22, we installed the base in the center of our backseat using the seatbelt because our center seat doesn't have LATCH (the sides do, but not the center). Maybe this is why it was so easy for us?
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    1/2015 November Siggy Challenge - Thanksgiving Fails
  • Wow this is all news to me! I thought bases were necessary! I wouldn't go without one personally and would be way too stressed having to take the seat in and out etc. but agree with pps that I'd have the inlaws get a convertible seat- my mom did that and it was just fine!
  • StargirlbStargirlb member
    edited September 2014
    she means extra bases. Not necessary, I agree. We just switched ours as needed, takes less than 5 minutes. 
  • Yeah, I'm just switching out. H said it's easy and wouldn't be an issue. Mentioned the convertible to MIL and got a "of course!" To that. She's easy ;)
  • britb618 said:
    Wow this is all news to me! I thought bases were necessary! I wouldn't go without one personally and would be way too stressed having to take the seat in and out etc. but agree with pps that I'd have the inlaws get a convertible seat- my mom did that and it was just fine!
    It's not less safe to go without the base if your seat allows for it. It's just easier with the base. As far as I know, all infant seats come with at least one base. The scam would be having to buy multiple bases. And unless one person is dropping off the baby in the morning and another picking them up, I agree it's not worth the cost. 
  • @aggiemom0809 ok thanks for the clarification. We bought two bases for ease, one came with the seat and the other one we bought to put in my husbands car. I just wasn't aware that infant seats could be used without one. I use a Britax not sure if that makes a difference. Either way, due to convenience, I would want the extra base for my husbands car. 
  • You can definitely use the infant seats without a base. My mom never got a base. We also drive older cars so we use the seatbelts to secure the seats since there is no latch system.
  • On the subject of seat belts/latches. Did you know you're not suppose to use both? There is only one car seat on the US market right now that is made to use both. You are suppose to choose either the latch system or the seat belt.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"