1st Trimester

Buying items for baby

When do most people start buying items for baby before they know the gender?? Things that are necessities?!? Like diapers, wipes, etc.

Re: Buying items for baby

• We didn't find out the sex until birth.  We had the entire nursery done and a full wardrobe of clothing before then.

We started buying things in the second trimester.

And FWIW, neceissities like diapers and wipes, you're going to need regardless of whether you have a boy or a girl.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Huh? You know diapers and wipes generally are white right?  
  • I didn't buy anything until the second trimester. I also only bought one small package of newborn diapers. My MIL wanted to be helpful and gave us a few huge boxes of various brands (Huggies, Pampers regular, Pampers swaddlers), but anything other than Pampers swaddlers gave her a terrible rash. I'd recommend against stocking up on diapers and wipes until your LO gets here and you know more about their sensitivities.
  • You can buy diapers and wipes when they're on sale and most stores will let you exchange them for a different size or brand at a later date as long they're not open.
    First comes love = November 2012
    Then comes marriage = July 19th, 2014

Then comes baby = May 19th 2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Praying for #2
    ~6 week loss in January 2016
    ~7 week loss in April 2016

• KingLED said:

scharle3 said:

When do most people start buying items for baby before they know the gender?? Things that are necessities?!? Like diapers, wipes, etc.

Your kid is going to be walking around naked for a long time if you wait until you know the gender.

Hahaha.
  • I started buying in 2nd tri only because I am buying mostly used. Will only buy a few outfits since I don't know sex.
  • I started with a few things pretty early on. We definitely started to purchase more after knowing the gender but I'd agree with PP's on learning what works for your baby before going too overboard.

Also, is this your first where you would have a baby shower? Because your family & friends will completely load you down with cool baby stuff then too!

• I agree @LittleBunnyFuFu....sorry, didn't mean to rely on others at all. But good to keep in mind that there is no need to stretch your own budget to the max before that as showers usually supply a mom to be with lots of what she will need. I just meant it can be good to wait until after that to decide what you feel you need to buy yourself.
  • edited October 2014
    We haven't started thinking about buying any baby items yet. I imagine we'll start shopping in the 2nd trimester for big items such as the crib, etc. For diapers, wipes, and things like that I imagine we'll buy some to get us started in the 3rd trimester.
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"