1st Trimester
Options

When to tell parents your expecting?

My husband and I are trying to figure out when to tell our parents we are expecting and how too? He wants to tell his parent on the phone but I'd rather tell my parents in person. I'm 5 weeks and visiting my parents his weekend, I wanted to wait until I had my first prenatal dr appt next week with my husband it tell either parent, but since I'm visiting my parents this weekend, I feel like I want to tell them this weekend....don't know though....i need a way to tell them....any suggestions and at what point do you think I should tell them?

Re: When to tell parents your expecting?

• Options
    I actually went to the dr and had test done and ultrasound. So I'm not sure if that is first prenatal visit?!? Did you tell Over the phone?
  • Options
    What does the prenatal visit cover?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's all personal preference. I'm almost 8 weeks and had my first prenatal apt yesterday which was what we were waiting for to tell our families. So we'll be telling our parents and siblings next weekend when we see them all. I wasn't comfortable telling our parents and siblings at 5 weeks. But that was just my preference. If you're comfortable telling them (and ok untelling them if God-forbid something were to happen) then go for it.

Me: 26   DH: 26
    Together since November 2006        Married September 5, 2011
    TTC #1 since August 2013           BFP on September 4, 2014
    Baby Girl due on May 11, 2015

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm 5 weeks and told my mom only so far (needed more womanly support). Did this over the phone due to being in a different state an it went just as well as it would have if we were in person. Planning on telling DH parents and my dad/step-mom after the first pre-natal visit. Honestly, whatever you prefer is what you should do.  
    Me: 26 DH: 28
    9/24/14- BFP! FTM
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Stella: our dog child
    May '15 Siggy Challenge: You had one job!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Another vote for personal preference. I know I'll tell my mom and dad and my grandmother pretty quickly because they're all aware of the issues that may pop up. I'll also have a few different appointments and blood draws right off the bat. They're people that will know either way anything turns out.

We'll do all our telling to family over the phone because we live farther away from family and only go back around 3 times a year.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    This is definitely a personal preference, but we were going to wait until 12 weeks and could not keep it in! We told both sets of parents at around 6 weeks. I knew they would be very supportive if anything went wrong. And its been wonderful having them in the know! They are always asking me how I am feeling, and already gushing about baby topics with me. My mom, MIL and I are super close so we are already pinning nursery ideas. I have loved having them know!

I would make sure that you feel comfortable with them as a support system, because the worst case scenario is you tell them, and God help it, something does go wrong, and they aren't there for you... just something to think about.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    First time around we waited until second trimester.  We told DH's parents over the phone, and stuck an ultrasound picture in my mom's birthday card for when we went to a family dinner to celebrate.

This time we'll tell everyone after our first doctor's appointment, which should be around 9 weeks.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Its a personal choice.  We had DD tell my mom when I was about 8 weeks.  She was very cute about it.  Told everyone else after our first appointment. 
  • Options
    I have to tell my parents over the phone but I think we'll time it around when we tell DHs family in person at 10weeks (just because we'll be seeing them at that time). It's whatever you and you SO are comfortable with.
    J'15 January Signature Challenge: Pinterest Fail: I want to do one, but I was late in starting and now I'm too lazy to get in on it. This is how most of my pinterest fails normally occur, at least I didnt buy supplies.

TTC since March 2014
    BFP#1 09/25/2014 EDD 6/4/2015

BabyFetus Ticker
    imageimage
  • Options
    We waited about a week after we found out to tell them. I'm very close with my parents and my sister. If something went wrong, I would tell them anyway. So there's no reason for me to keep it from them. 
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    Literally the best advice I received since finding out I'm pregnant is to only tell the people the great news, you would want to support you if there is bad news. This definitely included our parents so telling them was fun. I just explained it was early and to please not post anything on social media or tell anyone else until I'm comfortable. But def tell you parents this'd weekend and have a blast! We put a little shirt. On our dog that said "I'm going to be a big sister!" They loved it! It was cute. His mom lives out off state so we told her over FaceTime which was cute in its own way. Best of luck!
  • Options
    I called my mom when test was positive and told her. Told my real father at second tri. Both were just hey, I am pregnant.
  • Options
    My mom and dad were the second and third person I told, after my fiancé. We told his mom next. This was all the same day I found out I was pregnant.
    BFP 8/9/2014
    Baby Boy wolowizard due 4/14/2015
    Greyson Robert
  • Options
    We waited until after the first visit and ultrasound to make sure things were going good before telling our parents.

My parents are out of state so a simple phone call worked for us.

For my MIL and FIL we had our son tell them with a "big brother" shirt :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"