May 2013 Moms
Options

UPDATED Advice from anyone who has had D&C

fancefppfancefpp member
edited September 2014 in May 2013 Moms

As I've posted before, I had a D&C in July for a mmc. I still have not had a period and I'm still getting positive pregnancy tests. I'm definitely not pregnant! So, I went to doc this week for two blood tests to check levels. They dropped from test to test but only by 12 points. The nurse wants me to come in on Monday for another blood test and see doc in a week for possible ultrasound and talk of another D&C.  This is so painful for me! I just want it over with, it's like the never ending miscarriage. So, my question.....has anyone had a repeat D&C? Would you insist on skipping the blood test on Monday and just go immediately to the ultrasound to check for retained tissue? I kind of feel like the next blood test is waste of time at this point and I should see doc immediately.

UPDATE: my beta was at 68 today. So it went down from 97 to 68 in four days. I hope this means no D&C but I have to wait to talk to doc tomorrow.

Re: UPDATED Advice from anyone who has had D&C

• Options
    Blueyed228Blueyed228 member
    edited September 2014
    I had a repeat D&C 2 weeks later. It was because my levels were rising instead of dropping. I had leftover tissue.

It takes a long time to get back to zero. It might be retained tissue, but it might not be. I would wait for the b/w and go from there. If its still not a decent drop, ask for the u/s. Sorry you are dealing with this.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your number at?
    http://oi58.tinypic.com/nqv6fk.jpg

DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    Thanks @blueyed228 My numbers at D&C were 209,000....crazy, I know. They thought it was molar but it wasn't, just really, really high levels. My number on Monday was 109 and my number on Thursday was 97.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    OK. I think you are fine then. I was going to say above that it took the longest to drop once it got under 100. My numbers jumped big after the D&C. As if I was still pregnant type of rises. But after the second one, it dropped big, but the last 100 took what felt like forever.

Again, sorry you are dealing with this. Hopefully it drops soon.
    http://oi58.tinypic.com/nqv6fk.jpg

DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    I'm sorry, that really sucks as I'm sure you're ready to move on. I only had 1 D&C but it took about 8 weeks for AF to return afterward.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. I've had spotting on and off too. I'm just so ready to move on. We'd like to start trying again in November or December but who knows what my body will be doing at that point.
  • Options
    Oh goodness, no advice. I am so sorry you are going through this. I hope a n d pray uhyou recover fully soon.
  • Options
    I went through a similar situation. I had tissue stuck in my cervix (from a loss) and ended up essentially in labor b/c my body was confused.  So, I had a D&C.  Then, I kept bleeding and cramping.  So, went through it again. I know it is SO tough.  Much to my husband's chagrin, I ended up getting a dog to help me through the loss.  We're now inseparable.....me and the dog that is!  :)
  • Options
    I went through a similar situation after my surgery for an ectopic pregnancy.

Long story short the doctor who did the surgery had me pee on sticks until they turned negative. Then I could TTC again. Eight weeks later I was getting BFPs and no AF after the surgery. The original doctor told me the betas weren't normal so I needed to get a shot of methotrexate since she was positive it was another ectopic. I wanted an ultrasound and she refused to let me have one before doing the shot so I went somewhere else.

Anyways I had an ultrasound that showed I had retained tissue in my uterus. Either tissue had fallen in my uterus when they removed my tube or I was pregnant with twins (possible since I had high betas-very unusual for ectopic & twins run on both sides of my family) and the baby was aborted with the methotrexate I was given as I was rupturing (I was never released from the hospital after the shot as I vomited & passed out).

Lesson of the story your betas can rise & fall with a loss if the tissue isn't removed. I actually passed that tissue naturally. It was like going through it all over. I had bloodwork that made sure I continued to 0 as well. So I would say to get an ultrasound and bloodwork. If your doctor says no I'd switch providers and have your medical records audited (that's what I ended up having to do).

With my last loss I did have an emergency D&C but I pretty much passed everything on my own since I was hemorrhaging and the D&C was to stop the bleeding. I started AF this last time 3 weeks later. It's all so different from loss to loss. There's no normal.

TTC January 2010
    BFP #1 10-11-10 ectopic discovered 10-22-10, 10-23-10 methotrexate & emergency surgery, lost right tube BFP #2 12-1-10 Found to be tissue dropped from salingectomy or missed heterotopic pregnancy from BFP #1 BFP #3 1-30-11 DS arrived on due date 10-10-11 BFP #4 Surprise 9-3-12 EDD 5-9-13 DS2 arrived 5-5-13 BFP #5 5-14-14 Emergency D&C 6-16-14 9 weeks
  • Options
    No advice, just many many hugs! So sorry you are going through this.
  • Options
    No advice but sorry you're dealing with this.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    No experience with this, but I just want to say sorry :( big hugs. MC are hard enough without adding in the pain of having it ongoing like this. I hope it resolves soon !
    image  image

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    No advice but I am sorry you are going through this.  I hope that it is over soon and you can start TTC as planned.

BabyFruit Ticker  

Little West #1: Born May 23, 2013

Little West #2: Due April 15, 2015

2U2 Fossil Mommy

• Options
    Updated in OP
  • Options
    I hope it continues to go down.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"