September 2012 Moms

Help! Party Problems

Ethan's party is Sunday at the train museum. It was supposed to start at 11:30 so everyone can arrive to eat lunch, with a train ride for everyone from 1-2:20, then cake and presents after. I figured it would end about 3.

The guy emailed me last night and says he has another party arriving at two and he hopes we can be wrapped up by then. Figuring people don't arrive right on time, how am I going to feed 15 people a buffet lunch, cake, then do presents and have it all cleaned up in an hour and a half before the train ride? The train ride time and duration is set by the museum, not me. I don't see how it's possible.

What do I do? Help!!

Re: Help! Party Problems

• Skip the present opening. We never open presents at the party. Then you won't have to rush through lunch or the cake.

Disclaimer: I have had less than 2 hours of sleep. My advice could be super shitty. Good luck!

Emma Rose - 9.14.05    Beckett - 5.26.07    Sawyer - 9.22.12    Lennon Mae - 9.26.14
  • Hmm...Maybe the train ride could start a bit earlier? If you're supposed to be on the train ride until 2:20, how can he expect you to be wrapped up by 2? I guess worst case would be you just do cake and don't open presents in front of everyone? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah, I'm also wondering how you're supposed to be out at 2 if they set the train time. Does he just need you out of the party space by then? If you run out of time, I'd also skip opening presents. But I'd also be inclined to tell train man that if they needed you out by 2, they should have said so before now. But I can be a bitch like that.

• I know it will upset people if we don't open presents since only close family will be there, but we may have to skip it.
  • Can you open presents while people are eating? Quinn was so excited she didn't even want to eat until everyone left. So people gathered around while they ate and watched. I hope it all works out!
                         Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker
  • melody921 said:

Yeah, I'm also wondering how you're supposed to be out at 2 if they set the train time. Does he just need you out of the party space by then? If you run out of time, I'd also skip opening presents. But I'd also be inclined to tell train man that if they needed you out by 2, they should have said so before now. But I can be a bitch like that.

I did email him back and said it wasn't the timeline we agreed on and that it would be rushed, hoping he could do something. I'm trying to be nice because, from my understanding, the workers are volunteers.

I like that idea @AlinnJo‌, maybe we could just let the kids rip into stuff while people are eating.
  • You can do it, but you're going to be worn out!  At least you have the train ride to enjoy and relax with afterwards.  I would let one of your mothers in on how tight the time is so they can help as well, and be upfront with your guests.  Tell them this wasn't the deal when you booked the party, but things changed so you're trying to make the best of it.

W's party was listed from 11-2 (way too long in hindsight, for what we were doing; most left at 12;30/1).  Some people arrived at 11:30, some insisted on eating at 11:35 (*cough* inlaws *cough*) but most ate at 12 as they straggled in.  The buffet trips were wrapped up around 12:15 and most were done eating or in progress, so we did the birthday cake (didn't matter that some guests were still munching).  Then we cut and plated the cake, and everyone was done with cake at 12:30.  You can do last food call while you're cutting the cake at 12:15, and have DH start packing the food up.  Presents can come after cake is handed out (give LO the first piece).  Anything from you, I'd just do at home or at least last.  At about 12:50 you'll need someone to start taking the presents out to the car.  If you don't get through all the presents, just apologize.

I think the important thing here is that the party has to roll on.  Latecomers can grab a plate of food while you're doing cake, but your time line has to move on.  Just explain there is another party and you have to be out.

11:30-12: guests arrive (late arrivers will have to catch up)
    11:45/12: set out food buffet (are you doing a buffet thing) and encourage people to eat
    12:20/12:25 birthday song with candles
    12:25: give LO a piece of cake, announce last call for buffet, one parent start plating and handing out cake while the other puts the lunch stuff in the car
    12:35 as soon as LO is done with cake, start opening presents.  Mom and dad have a couple bites of cake while other guests are also enjoying their cake.
    12:50 Take presents to car.
    1-2:20

You know the other option is to spread a message by word of mouth.  I would probably call my SILs to let them know the train ride is at 1, so it is lunch, cake, presents are in that short time before.  AKA, if you want lunch and cake it's important to be here on time. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • I think I'm going to try to get there early, like 11, and get the buffet set. I'll just hand people plates as soon as they get in and encourage them to start. Maybe I can enlist MIL to help me get people moving. I hate when things are rushed.
  • I think an hour and a half is plenty of time for food, cake and presents. Some events might overlap, but at least people won't be sitting around. It's a different timeline than you were planning, but I still think it will work.

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • I know it will upset people if we don't open presents since only close family will be there, but we may have to skip it.
    This is how it is for me too, have to open them.

Can you bump the party up by 30 minutes and start at 11 and start bringing food out at 11:15/11:20 to move it along?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• All my parties have been an hour and a half total. That is an hour of planned activity and then 30 minutes for eating, cake, and presents. It always works out perfectly having 30 minutes for that. The kids all eat quick, if at all since they are so worked up and more excited for cake anyways. Serving lunch at 11:45, doing cake and presents, is plenty of time to be done by 12:45 and ready to board the train at 1. I'm guessing they want the party room all cleaned up by 2? I would tell them they need to have a party person there to clean up (you can move the presents to your car prior to boarding the train) while you ride the train as it wasn't the timeline you had originally agreed to.

Or, have him open presents on the train. An hour and 20 minute train ride also seems pretty long so having an activity like opening presents will give the kids something to do about 30 minutes in.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"