October 2013 Moms
Options

Advice-Severe diaper rash. How would you deal.

Since July 31st DD has had severe diaper rash, I mean red, irritated, even open sores from diaper rash. It almost always appears later in the week after being at daycare 5 days.
We have prescription yeast rash cream, and I know what a yeast rash looks like. We have done a round of Fluconazole, and her bum was finally clear for 14 days. She is now on antibiotics for an ear infection, and her diaper rash is raging again.

I have documented every time she has come home from school with a red bum. I get that there are other kids, and my DD has a couple of BM a day but where would you draw the line?
It is so bad today that she wouldn't sit in her bath water, it wasn't hot or cold and no soap in the water.

If you have made it this far, thank you I apologize it's so long. I just feel over whelmed and stressed.
It could be a number of factors but I keep thinking that daycare is leaving her too long in a dirty diaper. I have changed diapers and wipes so there is no chemicals, I have provided countless barrier creams.
As her mom and her voice, I just don't know how else to get across to the daycare people that they need to check her more, put the cream on & help me out!
Any advice or experience?

Re: Advice-Severe diaper rash. How would you deal.

• Options
    Two things, one, check with your pedi. Mine prescribed a steroid cream that I used when the rash got really bad, and it cleared up almost overnight. Second, assuming you've discussed this with the daycare teachers, I would elevate this up the chain to the director. I don't really know much about daycare protocol, but if the teachers aren't listening, get the boss involved.
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    DD wound up with an awful yeast infection from antibiotics, so that's not unusual. Also, if she sits in her poop for more than a few minutes, she gets really red. Our Daycare is on top of that though. I would have a discussion with them.

BFP: 1.19.2013 - EDD: 10.2.2013 - It's a girl! 9.25.13: Welcome Addison!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    What cream do you use?

• Options
    A steroid is a great idea, it's just so raw like it's burnt!
    I have talked to the teachers, they know how important this reoccurring problem is. (Maybe they don't really understand)
    Thank you @sleepy33‌
    I just have such a hard time with confrontation, I know I may have to go to a higher up.
  • Options
    Do they keep a log of how often her diaper is changed? If not, maybe ask if they will...

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    I have used: a combo I made, which includes clotrimazole, hydrocortisone, cornstarch, desitin.
    Then on their own desitin, clamoseptine, Boudreaux (sp) coconut oil.
    And rx is triamcinolone/nystatin
  • Options
    They give me a sheet every day of everything that takes place. Diapers/food/bottles etc. I just think that they sometimes change her then she has a BM and sits in it. She doesn't fuss which may be part of the problems. Looking at the times today I think she may have had a BM during her nap and they changed her when she woke up. Who knows how long she slept in it.
  • Options
    Oh, crap. Well, I hate to break it to you, but triamcinolone is the steroid cream the doc prescribed us. :( But, I would still give them a call to see if there is anything else they can recommend. I know my doctor's nurse, when I called, said try the triamcinolone for a couple of days, but if it doesn't get significantly better, they wanted to see him right away. They don't mess around with open sores...

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    Herefishy87Herefishy87 member
    edited September 2014
    Honestly I would go to the director at this point. I'd say if you have discussed this with the teacher at least a few times and nothing is changing, they may need a reminder from their boss. If the confrontation makes you nervous maybe call the director after you drop off one day so it's not so intimating as face to face conversation.
    My boys get awful, bleeding diaper rash fairly quickly but I know that so am deli gent about changing them as soon as they poop. They just need to take it seriously and act on it and check her more frequently than the other babies.
    FTR we use triple paste and glob it on like crazy. That the only thing that I have found that works when they get it severe like that. We also do lots of naked time to help air it out.
  • Options
    Right now on her bum there is a layer of bacitracin, the nystatin/triamcinolone and desitin on top. Poor kid. I was thinking maybe trying just a steroid. Like hydrocortisone.
  • Options
    Thanks @KerCo51‌ got me thinking of everything I have put on her, and covering all my bases. I think we are going to take off early tomorrow and have some naked butt time.
  • Options
    @Herefishy87‌ I think I may have too, I was going to talk to a couple other mothers. Clearly my kids bum is extra sensitive, and may require more attention.
    I just feel like a horrible mother.
  • Options
    When DD was at her worst, naked butt time made a huge difference. Balmex worked better than anything else.

• Options
    Slap8out said:

@Herefishy87‌ I think I may have too, I was going to talk to a couple other mothers. Clearly my kids bum is extra sensitive, and may require more attention.
    I just feel like a horrible mother.

Don't feel like a horrible mother for this, you are not doing anything wrong! Some kids just have super sensitive skin and you/daycare just has to be hyper aware of when they poop.
    Have you introduced anything new in her diet over the past month or so? Or maybe something she is eating all the time?
    When Ds1 eats blueberries (and some other unidentified foods) he gets loose poop that immediately starts making his butt red and welt up even if he was only sitting in it for few minutes. If I don't catch it right away it turns into terrible bleeding rash that doesn't leave for days, sometimes a week or so. It sucks and unfortunately ds2 seems to have the same kind of unforgiving skin.
  • Options
    PharmDMomPharmDMom member
    edited September 2014
    I agree with others about the day care thing- I'd talk to someone higher up. Also about watching the food thing. Strawberries give DS diaper rash. Random, but it happens every time.

As for something else to try for the diaper rash... Docs around here recommend Aquaphor ointment mixed with an equal part of liquid Mylanta (or generic). So if you buy the approx 2oz tube of Aquaphor, you would mix in 1/4 cup (2oz) of Mylanta. It is hard to get all the Maalox incorporated into the Aquaphor so you'll be stirring for a long time. But many of my patient's parents swear by it for clearing up bad diaper rash. And FYI, putting steroid creams on open sores (esp in the diaper area) usually isn't recommended and could possibly make it worse!

Hope you get it figured out soon momma!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    First, you are not a bad mother. You are doing the best you can. Your kid is prone to developing yeast diaper rashes while taking systemic abx. The rash sounds fairly severe, do not hesitate to see your oed again. Your baby may need another round of diflucan to clear it up. More frequent diaper changes at daycare will certainly help but may not resolve the problem. I wouldn't use steroids on the area for a prolonged period of time, again, check with the ped. Hope your baby gets relief and it clears up soon! If she's absolutely miserable you can give her a small dose of Tylenol while its healing.

• Options

So this works for you? I haven't found anything that works that great for my kid.
  • Options
    Thank you ladies, I am going to express my concern this morning to her teacher. I can't keep doing this with my daughter every week.

For those who asked this is her basic diet, I have not changed anything.
    Oatmeal with puréed fruit
    1 egg with toast
    1/2 a banana
    Yougurt (with an extra probiotic add)
    Grapes cut into 16!
    A couple of pieces of muffin
    Stuff she snacks on:
    Puffs, cherrios

I cut out as many acidic foods as I could. Anyone see anything as a red flag?
    She still gets 1 bottle at daycare 1/2 formula 1/2 WCM

I was told to put baking soda in the bath.
    I am going to call the pedi this morning, they changed her antibiotic last night. I'm sure the antibiotics are not helping the situation.

I will make sure daycare is using the peri (sp) bottle and cut up receiving blankets I provided.

Thank you all!
  • Options
    My LO does not have an overly sensitive bum but I do let her air out every day. We put a good covering of baby powder on her at night and use an overnight diaper... I think it helps keep her dryer. Good luck. Sounds miserable.
    • Married 6/1/2012
    • BFP #1 - 11/17/2012 -  MC 12/10/2012
    • BFP #2 - 2/12/2013 - EDD 10/17/2013 - DD Born 10/10/2013
    • BFP #3 - 1/29/2014 - Ectopic pregnancy discovered 1/31/2014
    • BFP #4 - 9/28/2014 - EDD 6/4/2015 - DS Born 5/31/2015

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Slap8out said:

Thank you ladies, I am going to express my concern this morning to her teacher. I can't keep doing this with my daughter every week.

For those who asked this is her basic diet, I have not changed anything.
    Oatmeal with puréed fruit
    1 egg with toast
    1/2 a banana
    Yougurt (with an extra probiotic add)
    Grapes cut into 16!
    A couple of pieces of muffin
    Stuff she snacks on:
    Puffs, cherrios

I cut out as many acidic foods as I could. Anyone see anything as a red flag?
    She still gets 1 bottle at daycare 1/2 formula 1/2 WCM

I was told to put baking soda in the bath.
    I am going to call the pedi this morning, they changed her antibiotic last night. I'm sure the antibiotics are not helping the situation.

I will make sure daycare is using the peri (sp) bottle and cut up receiving blankets I provided.

Thank you all!

Grapes always gave O a rash and he had a super sensitive behind.
                                                     imageimage
                                        Lilypie - (JNST)image
                                         Lilypie - (aqIx)
  • Options
    Brayden has been getting horrible rashes & I know his sitter changes his diapers constantly & she doesn't use wipes, she washes with water. I think it's just the heat.

The doctor has given us 2 different prescriptions which seem to make it worse so I used a sample of Dr.Smith's cream I had. It clears up almost completely over night! I'm just having a problem finding it sold anywhere in our area. So try that it may help!
  • Options
    DS had this problem, and naked time for literally hours helped. Also baking soda in the bath soothes the acid burn. Good luck- you are not a bad mom!!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    OH, one other thing I was thinking of last night- what size diapers is she in? Cam seems to be prone to rash popping back up when he's just about to outgrow a size of diaper. I'm right now using up the last of a box of 4's before switching to 5's. I think it's partly because the smaller diaper holds everything closer to them with less air circulation, and because the leg bands tend to chafe more when they are on the small side. Just an idea!

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    We had a bad rash a few weeks ago.  We used a wet cloth to wipe with (saw that was recommended) and then another one to dry her bottom really well before applying all of her creams.  We used the buttpaste and aquaphor.  For her, it was tomato sauce causing the issues, so once we stopped it cleared up pretty quickly.

My LO is a super pooper.  It's not unusual for her to have 4-7 BMs per day at daycare.  They are quick to change her and that has really helped keep any rashes away.  

image image
    LO then (2 days) and now (1 year)
  • Options
    Here is something to try too. Make sure skin is dry when you start but coat her bottom with the meds then a thick layer of diaper ointment on top. next diaper change Do Not remove all the cream, only what is clearly gross. You want to leave a barrier there. Apply another thick layer of cream and repeat. We do this for my incontinent patients and it helps alot but you have to keep the base layer to protect the skin
  • Options
    We use honest diapers at school and recently when we get home I use cloth. @crunchymama11‌
  • Options
    We are naked butt now, rocking now. It definitely looks raw, and there are open spots.
    I spoke with the daycare women this morning. And I asked them to check her more often, even if she falls asleep. She agreed that DD doesn't fuss when dirty and she would be more diligent. I told her how DD would not even sit in water cause it hurt so bad. She apologized, she doesn't like to see little ones hurt. I hope it was productive and had an impact.

• Options
    @crunchymama11‌ how would one de-yeast a CD????
    And by recent I mean like the last week!
  • Options
    @crunchymama11‌ can you give me an example of what it could look like (ammonia burn)????

I think she fell asleep yesterday, had a BM and woke up 45-60 minutes later, so I'm sure it some kind of burnt!
  • Options
    @crunchymama11‌ the honest company is based on not using chemicals ever in their products. The have household cleaners to baby products and everything in between.
    I got a free sample and I just figured that the chemicals used in diapers plus the bodily chemicals just can't be that great for diaper rash.
    I have spent a ton of money on trying products.
    Truthfully I was scared of cloth diapers, so I am learning more about them and trying to use them when I can.
  • Options

Slap8out said:

@crunchymama11‌ can you give me an example of what it could look like (ammonia burn)????

I think she fell asleep yesterday, had a BM and woke up 45-60 minutes later, so I'm sure it some kind of burnt!

well, ammonia burn is what it sounds like- excess ammonia causing a burn-like diaper rash. It can cause open sores or really red inflamed bottom.

But teething and acidic foods can cause a really red bottom (like a burn) but I don't think it would cause sores. IDK though. I also don't know if sposies can cause ammonia burn. I have heard of Pampers dry-max causing chemical burns on bottoms. 

This definitely sounds like what we are dealing with. I'm sure after having a BM in her sleep she had to have peed a couple of times, thus causing this burn like rash with sores.
  • Options
    Slap8out said:
    Slap8out said:
    @crunchymama11‌ can you give me an example of what it could look like (ammonia burn)???? I think she fell asleep yesterday, had a BM and woke up 45-60 minutes later, so I'm sure it some kind of burnt!
    well, ammonia burn is what it sounds like- excess ammonia causing a burn-like diaper rash. It can cause open sores or really red inflamed bottom.

But teething and acidic foods can cause a really red bottom (like a burn) but I don't think it would cause sores. IDK though. I also don't know if sposies can cause ammonia burn. I have heard of Pampers dry-max causing chemical burns on bottoms. 
    This definitely sounds like what we are dealing with. I'm sure after having a BM in her sleep she had to have peed a couple of times, thus causing this burn like rash with sores.

Have you notified your ped yet? A yeast diaper rash can look this way as well. Open sores can progress to impetigo or cellulitis which are more serious conditions. I would call them like ASAP.

• Options
    Madeline has been dealing with the SAME thing for months. I've been to the pedi, had the Rx's, done air time, changed frequently, etc. @Awwwpuddin said to get lamisol, and it has helped A LOT! I am ordering the mother's love too! She has been rash free for about 5 days now. 
  • Options
    I noticed that once DS started peeling a lot more during the day, Honest company diapers would actually give him a rash on his penis and on the bum since they don't wick the moisture away from the skin well...I changed him every hour and it was still a problem, we've switched to Pampers Baby Dry and haven't had an issue since
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"