Pregnant after IF

Do you plan on reading a pregnancy book?!

Well I bought what to expect when you are expecting because on of my friends swore by it but now as I read others post they say it's awful and if you want to read a pregnancy book you should pick one that's written by a doctor. I've only read like 15 pages and so far I think it's okay but they say when you start getting in to the 3rd trimester the author will
Make you feel like a loser if you don't do things her way. Your thoughts?! I really want to read a book that's comforting and explains the changes in my body and the baby's growth.
Me: 26 (IC/PCOS-2000mg of Metformin daily)

June 2014- HSG=clear

DH: 27 (SA results were great minus the slightly low morphology)
Started dating DH in 2002 at 14 years old
Married on 03.01.2014
Officially TTC since April 2014 
January 2013- Surprise BFP, m/c at 6 weeks, D&C 2 Weeks later
April 2014- First RE appointment
July 2014- IUI#1-Canx due to scar tissue and polyps. TI with the help of Ovidrel. BFN

August 2014- Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue and polyp

September 2014- IUI #1.1-100mg Clomid, Ovideral, 11.5 million swimmers=BFP

EDD-6/3/15- Our sweet baby Ryan was born on 1/6/15 and is in the arms of an Angel

Dx with IC on 1/6/15

Re: Do you plan on reading a pregnancy book?!

• The Mayo clinic book is the only one I've seen that I like. I've heard mixed reviews of every other book on the market, although I'd love a bit more detail. Apps can be good, too.

**********************siggy/ticker warning**********************

***Losses mentioned.*** TTC #1 since May 2012. Me: 37, OH: 41. Ectopic August 2012 => tubal damage. :'(  Stage 1 endo removed June 2013. IVF #1 Oct/Nov 2013: Long Lupron with Gonal-F. 7R, 7M, 7F. 2 txfer@3d. Nothing frozen.  => M/C @ 8 wks. :'( Selected RPL panel all normal. Very hyper and brittle response to stims. IVF #2 (antagonist protocol) Feb 2014 => Converted to IUI (Perfect conditions). BFN. IVF #2.1 w/ new RE June 2014: Antagonist protocol. 33R, 31M, 30F, 19 blasts to test!!! I made it through without crashing!! :) Hats off to Dr. Fancypants!! ET of one 5AB blast. BFN. 13 10 CCS'ed snowflakes! FET #1 PUPO as of 7/29 Betas: 8/7@24, 8/9@97, 8/11@334 (etc.) Two sacs on 8/15, one seen on 8/18 after a bleed. U/s 8/25 (6+3) "perfect": 5.9 mm + HB@120bpm! U/s 9/4 (7+6): 15.9 mm + HB@172 bpm! Please, PLEASE stick this time!!!!
    http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae39/catfreeburg/866da40f5178fed79efe23fc8a4e8a_zps4498a9cc.jpgimageimageimageimage
  • I like the Mayo guide.

I found WTE way too worst case scenario fear mongering! DH wanted to read it and I asked him not to so he wouldn't freak out at every little ache or pain I would have during pregnancy.

They should retitle WTE "Everything That Could Possibly Go Wrong When You Are Expecting!"
    ************************SIGGY WARNING***********************

Me: 29      DH:  32
    Off birth control March 2012 - Actively trying Sept 2012-April 2014
    Unexplained Infertility
    BFP on May 5th after Follistim & IUI #3
    Ryan Henry - born 1/10/15, 7 lb 5 oz, 20 1/4 inches

NTNP for a sibling starting March 2015
    Waiting on cycle to resume while EBF

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • The only book I've purchased and plan on reading is Baby Wise. I am determined to get my baby on a proper sleeping schedule as early as possible and have heard a TON of Mom's swear by this method. Other that, I honestly can't justify buying any of these books when 99% of it is already on the internet and is SO repetative!

Me (28) DH (32)  Endometriosis                                                                                   IVF  #1 (1/2013) - 17 Retrieved, 16 Mature, 14 Fertilized- 2 transferred- BFN
    FET #1 (7/2013) - 2 embryos - BFN
    FET #2 (9/2013) - 2 emrbyos - BFN
    New RE. Fresh Start
    IVF  #2 (2/2014) - 25 Retrieved, 19 Mature, 16 Fertilized, 9 blasts.
                                 CGH Testing: 6 Normal
    FET #3 (4/2014) -1 embryo -  BFP! Beta#1: 35 Beta #2: 16 :(
    FET #4 (5/2014) -1 embryo -  BFP! Beta#1: 321!!! Beta #2: 727.9!
    6/5/2014 Heartbeat! 144bpm It's a girl!
    Due January!

• I read WTE and the Mayo book and I thought both were fine. I also read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth which I loved, and am currently reading the Happiest Baby on the Block. Oh and the baby bargains book, get that one for sure when you're getting close to registering!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC since Sept 2011, Unexplained IF
    Oct 12 - Jan 14: 3 clomid/TI cycles, 2 hysteroscopies, 2 IUIs, 1 BFP (MMC @ 12w), 2 more IUIs
    Feb 14: Gonal-f + IUI #5 = BFP! (EDD 11/4/14)
    Baby boy arrived 11/13/14!

• I'm reading a twin book only... but I've heard the Mayo Clinic book & Happiest Baby on the Block on both great!!

****siggy warning****

Me 29/ DH 28
    DH- MFI (low count, 2-3% morph)

IUI #1 January - Clomid, Ovidrel: BFN
    IUI #2 February - Letrozole, Follistim, Ovidrel: BFP 1st beta-25, 2nd beta-56, 3rd beta-45, miscarriage
    IUI #3 April - CD3 U/S 4-10. Letrozole, Follistim, Ovidrel CD11 - Cancelled.. TI w/5 follicles-BFN
    IUI #3.1 May - CD3 U/S 5-6, Follistim start 5-11 thru 5-17, u/s 5-18 3 mature w/ a close 4th, IUI 5-20 - BFP!
                 Beta #1 12dpo - 164 & progesterone - 89!, Beta #2 16 dpo - 1189, 5w3d - u/s shows TWINS!
                 6/19- u/s showed heartbeats! Baby A 111 & Baby B 118, both measuring 6w1d
                 7/3- Baby A hb 170, Baby B hb 166 - both measuring perfect.
                 7/18 - Baby A 165, Baby B 171 - both measuring right on track & moving all around!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Thanks ladies. I think I'll keep reading the WTE and also go pick up the Mayo book. :)
    Me: 26 (IC/PCOS-2000mg of Metformin daily)

June 2014- HSG=clear

DH: 27 (SA results were great minus the slightly low morphology)
    Started dating DH in 2002 at 14 years old
    Married on 03.01.2014
    Officially TTC since April 2014 
    January 2013- Surprise BFP, m/c at 6 weeks, D&C 2 Weeks later
    April 2014- First RE appointment
    July 2014- IUI#1-Canx due to scar tissue and polyps. TI with the help of Ovidrel. BFN

August 2014- Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue and polyp

September 2014- IUI #1.1-100mg Clomid, Ovideral, 11.5 million swimmers=BFP

EDD-6/3/15- Our sweet baby Ryan was born on 1/6/15 and is in the arms of an Angel

Dx with IC on 1/6/15

• I just ordered "Expect Better". It's written by a Phd in Economics so she compared actual data and statistics regarding EVERYTHING so you can make the best choices for your pregnancy and delivery. (ie, caffeine, amnio, etc) She wrote it after becoming  pregnant and basically finding lots of vague and unfounded assumptions from books and doctors.

My heart is as open as the sky.
    Read about it on the blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Follow Me on Pinterest
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I really hated WTE. I felt it was either too obvious or too fear-mongering. "Pregnant women shouldn't use cocaine..." REALLY? ya don't say. Also, I have a friend that read it, and she didn't seem to know some really basic things.

The Mayo Guide is definitely my favorite.
    TTC since June 2011
    DH: perfect SA
    Me: 30, moderate endo, unexplained infertility
    IUI or IVF in December

• I agree with @rox825‌ on the Baby Bargains - but buy a physical book, not the Kindle edition! It's hard to flip between sections, see charts, etc. I really regret buying it as a Kindle edition.
    ************************SIGGY WARNING***********************

Me: 29      DH:  32
    Off birth control March 2012 - Actively trying Sept 2012-April 2014
    Unexplained Infertility
    BFP on May 5th after Follistim & IUI #3
    Ryan Henry - born 1/10/15, 7 lb 5 oz, 20 1/4 inches

NTNP for a sibling starting March 2015
    Waiting on cycle to resume while EBF

imageimage

• I bought The Healthy Pregnancy Book by Dr. Sears and I mostly enjoy it.  I've heard good things about the Mayo Clinic book and Your Pregnancy Week by Week as well.

It was also suggested to me that rather than focusing on pregnancy books (since your body does most of the work anyway) you should start reading childbirth, breastfeeding, and baby books now.  I picked up The Happiest Baby on the Block, Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, and The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding.  So far the childbirth book is a little granola for my tastes, but there's still a lot of great info in it.

-----------------------------------SIGGY WARNING-------------------------------------

Me: 31| DH: 36
    TTC #1 Since 07/2010
    DX: Unexplained Infertility
    TX: 
    IUI #1 on 7/3/14 100 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI (44 million sperm, 1 dominant follie) = BFN
    IUI #2: on 7/28/14 100 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI (23 million sperm, 2 dominant follies) = BFN

IUI #3 on 8/22/2014 100 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI (53 million sperm, 2 dominant follies)= BFP MMC @ 7weeks

• I bought the mayo clinic one and got a free book at the doctors.  I did some reading a few months ago, now I mostly rely on websites.  
    Pregnant with #2

IVF cycle 1 (Nov 2013)- freeze all d/t OHSS
    FET #1-BFN
    FET #2-BFP baby girl born Dec 2014
    FET #3-Sept 2017 BFP but miscarried at 6 weeks

IVF cycle 2 (Oct 2017)- freeze all again d/t OHSS
    FET #1 BPF, pregnant with a singleton due Sept 2018

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • sugar4bri said:
    @MissEm15‌ what twin book are you reading?

@sugar4bri Ready or not here we come... it's actually really good & the only one I can get thru lol. I def. rec!!

****siggy warning****

Me 29/ DH 28
    DH- MFI (low count, 2-3% morph)

IUI #1 January - Clomid, Ovidrel: BFN
    IUI #2 February - Letrozole, Follistim, Ovidrel: BFP 1st beta-25, 2nd beta-56, 3rd beta-45, miscarriage
    IUI #3 April - CD3 U/S 4-10. Letrozole, Follistim, Ovidrel CD11 - Cancelled.. TI w/5 follicles-BFN
    IUI #3.1 May - CD3 U/S 5-6, Follistim start 5-11 thru 5-17, u/s 5-18 3 mature w/ a close 4th, IUI 5-20 - BFP!
                 Beta #1 12dpo - 164 & progesterone - 89!, Beta #2 16 dpo - 1189, 5w3d - u/s shows TWINS!
                 6/19- u/s showed heartbeats! Baby A 111 & Baby B 118, both measuring 6w1d
                 7/3- Baby A hb 170, Baby B hb 166 - both measuring perfect.
                 7/18 - Baby A 165, Baby B 171 - both measuring right on track & moving all around!

Pregnancy Ticker

• I second the Dr. Sears book. I read it with DD and I found it to be factual. Which I liked. Now I read a ton of pregnancy and birthing books. I watched the midwife documentary. But I speak from experience when I regrert not reading about breastfeeding. I assumed it would be easy peasy. A lot of women struggle with it. I also suggest finding a book that tells you what to expect for the first few months. I totally felt overwhelmed.

I also read Ina May's book and I did enjoy it but it's super hippie lol. What I took away from it was how your attitude and the people around you can make your birth experience a really good one. Relax and go with the contractions. Or as they might say "the waves of energy flowing through my body"
    Diagonsed PCOS TTC since May 2009
    First M/C December 2010 Second M/C August 2011
    Oct 2011~Second round clomid 50 mg; BFN
    Nov 2011~Third round clomid 50 mg: BFP
    Dec 11- Beta #1 91;Dec 13- Beta #2 186.2
    Dec 27- third miscarriage
    May 25th- Beta #1 369;May 27th- Beta #2 798
    Baby girl born Jan 23, 9lbs 3oz, 21 1/2" long
    May 27th-Beta #1 80; May 29th- Beta #2 304; May 31st- Beta #3 860
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Not planning any pregnancy books...I'm an OB so I think I've pretty much covered all the technical stuff :-)
    My BFF is on baby #2 and highly highly recommends 12 hours by 12 weeks. It's about getting baby to sleep through the night by 12 weeks old. I'm also planning hypnobirthing class and breastfeeding. I find most of my patients regret not having breastfeeding classes before the baby comes. It really is tougher than people make it seem.
    Married 2007
    3 Clomid IUIs -- BFNs
    IVF #1 never made it to transfer
    On "egg health" cocktail DHEA/CoQ10/FRC/Pregnitude/Melatonin
    Starting IVF #2 for Feb 2013
    Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix
    Cancelled mid-cycle due to high P4 levels early on.
    OCPs again for IVF 2.5 mid-March. IVF 2.5 transferred two "gorgeous" 5-day blasts and BFFN. Even REI is baffled
    On indefinite hold until a huge stroke of serendipity led me to IVF 3 May 2014
    Testing found positive cardiolipins/APS, now on lovenox and intralipid infusions
    Transfer of 2 5-day blasts and (FINALLY) BFFP!! 1st ultrasound shows two sacs and two HB, but one is sluggish, almost expecting vanishing twin Subsequent ultrasound confirmed vanishing twin, but my other Little critter looks fantastic!
    "You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it."
    -- Margaret Thatcher

• So funny story on the WTE series, my work place gave me the WTE first year book and my mil gave us the one we had when DH's older sister got pregnant the first time (early 90's). So he took that one and read it religiously at work on breaks and I sorta read mine but parented how I felt right. Well, we started having arguments and he was like, "The book says!" So I started looking it up in mine and was like wtf? I asked him to bring his home and we found out they totally contradicted each other. So he threw out the old one his mom gave him and stopped stressing. I still have the pregnancy one and it is good to kind of bounce some fears and or thoughts off of- but by no means do I read it religiously. Mainly I let my DD look at it and she tells me what is happening with baby (which is better than what is in the book...) :)
    January 2007- Stop BCP! Let's DO this!
    June 2010- MFI. BS. IVF! Ectopic. BS. image

November 2010- FAILED FET! BS!
    January 2011- BFP FET! TWINS!
    February 2011- lost twin. BS. image

SEPTEMBER 2011- DD Born! Most awesome girl in the world!

November 2013- FAILED FET! BS! (screw you November FETs)
    April Fresh Cycle, FAILED. Frozen embryos frozen for future FETs.
    FROZEN CYCLE JUNE! BFP
    BABY BOY VINCENT!

We can't wait to meet you!
    Conception:image
    imageimage Potato Love!

BabyFruit Ticker

• I've read a few since I am hoping to have a natural birth.  I would not read What to Expect ... it's dumb and there is a lot of unnecessary information.  I've been able to receive weekly updates on what should be happening in my pregnancy via Bump and BabyCenter and these have worked fine.

For anyone looking into the possibility of natural birth, I highly recommend looking into Ina May Gaskin books.  She even has a breastfeeding book that I plan on reading a little later. 

Ina May Gaskin - Guide To Childbirth
    Cynthia Gabriel - Natural Hospital Birth: The Best of Both Worlds
    Pam England - Birthing from Within

I have Babywise by Gary Ezzo and plan to read that.
    Also plan to read The Baby Whisperer by Tracy Hogg

As for when the baby is born, I plan on reading The Wonder Weeks.
    Married on October 20, 2012.  Began trying in January 2013.
    RE appointment & testing December 2013 - February 2014= Unexplained IF, possible endometriosis
    IUI#1- March 22 (100mg clomid, 75 mg of Bravelle, Ovidrel trigger) = BFP!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"