May 2015 Moms

Hyperemesis Gravidarum - severe morning sickness

1.5 - 2% of all pregnant women get this and I'm one of them. It started for me at about 5weeks and I've had a few days off work because the nausea is so strong.
I had hyperemesis with my first pregnancy and a milder version with my second. This all has such an effect on my day to day life. It means I will have to tell my employer very early. My family will think it's strange I've had so many sick days. My older children with wonder why I can't eat toast unless it's as dry as cardboard. Basically some mornings I feel like I've swallowed poison and whilst we are So So excited to be having this precious baby I may have to resign from work at 7weeks pregnant.
Anyone else out there feeling the same?

Re: Hyperemesis Gravidarum - severe morning sickness

• Princess Kate has that. I'm sorry you're going through this.

Me: 30   DH: 29
    TTC since 2010
    Oct. 2012 HSG: One blocked tube, one clear
    Oct. 2012 U/S: All good
    March 2014 SA: Flying Colors

April  2014: Met our RE/Got our plan!
    May 2014: laparoscopy/hysteroscopy removed stage II endometriosis
    June 2014: IUI w/100mg Clomid (BFN)
    July 2014: IUI w/100mg Clomid (BFN)
    August 2014: IUI w/100mg Clomid (BFP!)
    September 2014: Beta 1 at 14 DPIUI: 100
    September 2014 Beta 2 at 16 DPIUI: 239
    September 2014: Beta 3 at 23 DPIUI: 3,159
    U/S 9/26: One healthy baby! Measuring 1 day ahead and a FHR of 119 @ 6W4D (EDD May 18)
    U/S 10/26 (first OBGYN visit): Measuring 1 day behind and a FHR of 160 @ 8 weeks. Looks like an upside-down Teddy Graham!

BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had it with my first. It's awful. Depression, resentment, total loneliness. Look for the HG support forum on facebook. Get meds. They're not ideal, but I took zofran 24/7 and I survived. It wasn't easy, didn't make nausea go away, but I SURVIVED and so did my baby. And that's all this is. Mine lasted until week 15. 

Also, I used my FMLA time. I got 12 weeks, I used 9 of them and went on Short Term Disability with my job. My job had excellent benefits at the time. So I was off and paid. When it came time for Maternity Leave, I didn't have FMLA weeks- so they technically could've fired me, but they didn't. I went back to work at 6 weeks, adn that sucks I missed out on a longer leave because I had "wasted" so many when I was pregnant, but had I not- my baby & I would not have made it. 

I'm so sorry you're going through this, seek support and know that WHAT YOU HAVE IS DIFFERENT. Its NOT the same as morning sickness. Its a whole different level. Get meds from your doctor, get support where you can with your family and online, and know that one day it will end and you will have a baby to hold and love. Best of luck.
  • Loading the player...
  • Good for you getting plugged in girl!

I don't think I officially had this my last pregnancy, but it was my worst MS to date (had been preg twice before). I think it got intense because I let it spiral down into dehydration, extreme fatigue and then it was all I could do to groan on the couch.
    I still think mentally I was better off than the first two times tho.

I realize it's the worst, but This time I plan to really stay plugged in with thinking positively (my source is Christ and his word) find what works for me each day to ease symptoms... and tough it out one more time.
  • I was actually in the er for fluids and anti nausea meds last night before being diagnosed with this. Luckily, we caught it early enough that it won't affect the babe, but it's been a rough few weeks. Mine started at 4 weeks on the dot and only got worse, to the point of not being able to hold down water, before I finally went in. I would suggest going in to the ER and ASAP if you think you have it. Once you start burning fat, it can be big trouble for the babe, according to the doctor last night. I honestly felt a ton better even just with the fluids, not even the anti nausea meds. I was able to eat and hold down food for the first time in two weeks last night and this morning as well.

Good luck!
    Mr + Mrs: 09/06/2009 
    Daddy + Mommy: #1: 07/02/2011 EDD#2: 05/22/2015
    baby development
  • I had it during my last pregnancy and it was terrible. I'm hoping it won't be the same for this one. I was on zofran the entire pregnancy and on the hospital countless times for dehydration. I was threatened with a PICC line as well. I have no advice, but hope it doesn't last the whole time for you. It's miserable and I am sorry for anyone who has it.

• I am 9 wks and only thought I was pregnant after being severely sick for a week straight and losing almost a stone in weight! I went to the doctors who prescribed me with Prochlorperazine 3mg tablets which have helped me immensely! I was unsure about being on medication as this is my first pregnancy and I am already worried about so much, but I was reassured by more than one doctor that it has very little risks and that they outweigh the risk of not being able to keep down any liquids and becoming severely dehydrated or keeping down my pre natal vitamins. Without them I would of without a doubt been hospitalised. I am hoping the sickness will die down in the next few weeks so that I can come off them.
  • This is my first pregnancy and I too was diagnosed with HG. It started week 5 and got so bad I had to go to the ER because of dehydration. I could barely move off the couch. The hospital gave me IV and zofran as a pill but it wasn't strong enough. I started the zofran pump 24/7 a week ago and I'm starting to see a difference. Still weak, but I'm able to eat which is good. Unfortunately I'm out of work for now but getting better is what is important. I just hate to miss so much time now because I would rather save my days for when the baby comes.

Hope you are all feeling better:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"