January 2014 Moms

Is this too overprotective?

amt0312amt0312 member
edited September 2014 in January 2014 Moms
Ok, I know babies were basically designed to sustain falls as they learn to keep themselves balanced, etc etc. DD falls on average 6-10x a day and bumps her head ALOT. We have wood floors now (technically not hard wood as they are a soft wood and dent very easily). We are moving on Monday to a house that has hardwood floors throughout as well as a concrete slab front porch that I know we will be spending an inordinate amount of time on....so I am thinking about investing in a soft helmet for DD.

I am mostly concerned about the head bumps. She already looks as though she's been through a vicious gang fight from all the bruises she's gotten from bumping her head. I'm afraid she will crack her skull open at the new house. Am I being too overprotective? I don't wanna be that mom......What would you guys do? 

Re: Is this too overprotective?

• I'd just be a helicopter mom and hover over her while she's walking around. I wouldn't do the helmet, myself.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Sounds like my LO. She has a bruise on her forehead at least once a week from a tumble or crawling and bumping into something. I always joke and say I'm going to put a helmet on her but never would. I just try stay close when she's on the ceramic tiles or hardwood. We covered most of the living room (hardwood) in foam tiles.
  • Loading the player...
  • I, personally, wouldn't get a helmet. My mom has tile and concrete. DS has been fine. We just hover.
  • @MiaMyPuggle is it a vanity thing? I'm not a hovering type parent I guess. It drives me nuts that I have to hover near her so frequently as it is. I just want to be able to get a few things done while she is in the near vicinity and not have to worry about her falling and bumping her head yet again. 
  • I thought you were just talking about the concrete porch for the helmet...that's why I said to watch her on there. If inside, the foam tiles or get an area rug and a play yard to keep her on there.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • I wouldn't do the helmet.  Honestly, even though it doesn't seem like it, wood gives a little when you hit it.  Concrete does not.  I would be more worried if baby fell and hit her head on the concrete.  I wouldn't be so worried about the wood floors. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Foam play floor sounds like a good idea for inside the house. I know my mom has a million of those foam tiles so I'll get those from her when we arrive in NC. I'm still worried about the concrete slab porch though. It's a massive porch- almost 40 feet long and 10 feet wide, so it would be too much to do a foam floor out there. Maybe since the weather is getting colder, a knit hat will be enough for any falls.
  • amt0312amt0312 member
    edited September 2014
    @miamypuggle oh that makes sense. Yeah I can totally hover over her outside on the porch. Didn't even think of that. There's a steep drop off on one side, so I can't really leave her there by herself no matter what (not that I leave her by herself anywhere, ever...just maybe not completely in my line of sight all the time). 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"