January 2014 Moms

Cheap vs expensive

I asked dh to buy me razors from Costco. He came home complaining how expensive they were. I usually buy the cheapest pink daisy ones. He bought me nice ones and I love them!!!! Totally worth the extra cost.

With that said, I still get my haircut at supercuts and dye my own hair with a cheap $8 box and perfectly fine with that.

So...what do you splurge more on and think is worth it and what do you buy cheap and it works great?

I'm 33 DH is 36 
Married 6/27/2009 Together since 10/22/2005
TTC since 8/2010 (off BCP since 8/2009) 
Unexplained Infertility
8/2011, 1/2012, 3/2012 IUI #1-3 BFN 
6/2012 IVF#1 BFN, 8/2012 IVF#2 FET BFN, 11/2012 IVF#3 BFP
12/10/2012 U/S #1 6w4d - heartbeat  EDD 8/1/13 
12/26/2012 U/S #2 8w6d - No more heartbeat, MMC; D&C; Chromosome testing normal; male :( RPL testing normal 
4/3/2013 DX Asherman's Syndrome caused by D&C, hysteroscopy done
June 2013 IVF #4 planned 
5/12/2013 SURPRISE BFP! Natural cycle 
7/11/2013 Panorama results Normal!!! Team Pink, partial previa moved up in 2nd tri9/5/13 (19w) AS scan shows short cervix, 2.5 cm 9/19 (21w)  Cervix is worse 1.87cm, bed rest 10/26 & 10/27 steroid shots 12/19 (35w) DX: SGA Baby went from 57% percentile to 18th percentile in 6 weeks. Weekly BPP and NST until she is here. 1/17/18 Growth scan puts Abby below 10th percent in size, low amniotic fluid, and less movement. Time to induce!
1/18/14 2:11am Abigial Morgan is here! 5lbs 14oz and 18 inches of pure cuteness!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Cheap vs expensive

• I splurge on jeans and foundation.
    I go cheaper on pretty much everything else in life, I'm a sale shopper for sure
    image image
    Married 8/9/13
    Ashton James Rogers 10/29/13

image  image
  • Cheap: razors, haircut at Great Clips (its cheap plus the lady has been doing my hair since I was in high school)

Splurge: meat (expensive prosciutto is 10x's better then the cheap stuff)

I can't think of anymore right now. It's too early.
  • Loading the player...
  • Brand name tampons, wipes and diapers
  • I tend to cheap out on most things.  I dont wear much makeup but when I do I go expensive with that - Mac products mostly. 

• I HATE cheap TP. Stupid.. but I can't stand it. I only get a hair cut every 6-9 months or so. Maybe. Whenever it starts to bother me. I have naturally curly hair and it's pretty low maintenance so I don't need it cut every 6-8 weeks like some people. I just chopped it all off though so we'll see how long I can go before needing a trim. Dh gets his cut religiously every 6 weeks. I think it's stupid because he goes to the same lady he's always went to and it's always crooked and I have to fit it. And it's expensive! I don't get it. I've just stopped telling him the back is crooked because he obviously doesn't care. Eh..

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I wish I could go cheap on groceries but it's hard to get good meat, fruits and veggies for cheap. I don't necessarily go cheap on other stuff so much as I just go without for a while. I rarely by new clothes, shoes or get a haircut. I guess that's how I save.
  • I cheap out on canned goods. Super cuts is my go to for haircuts if I'm not in my hometown. I'm a clearance sale plus coupons type of girl, so I like a good bargain on name brad things...esp at Macy's (when they take the damn coupons!) and Gymboree.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • I hear that @bethughknee‌ is a cheap huzzy
    imageimage
    Baby Chugging born 12.28.13
    induction due to HELLP

• Who are you, @ChuggingWater‌ ? I don't recognize your SN....anymore....

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Who are you, @ChuggingWater‌ ? I don't recognize your SN....anymore....

@MiaMyPuggle‌ shit. I've lost my street cred???
    imageimage
    Baby Chugging born 12.28.13
    induction due to HELLP

• I hear that @bethughknee‌ is a cheap huzzy
    Girrrrrrrrl you heard right!

My mom and I highlight and color hair for each other. So that's a cheapo. She also cuts mine. Splurge...I only put salon quality products in my hair? It's so dry it just breaks off when I use Pantene and the like. Let's not even talk about the frizz.

I usually only buy nice handbags. I make them last. Man made "leather" falls apart on me.

I buy almost all drugstore makeup except for Laura Gellar eyeliners and shadows. I'm picky. I like what I like.

Married: 9.22.12 - DD: 1.7.14 - EDD 2: 10.30.17 - J14 OG
  • Cheap: clothing--I like to think of myself as a high end thrift shopper.  I found DD a Hanna Andersson dress in perfect condition for $2 yesterday.

Splurge: Food.  We buy mostly organic and local food.

BFP #1 10/13/09 EDD 06/20/10 DS Born on 06/26/10
    BFP #2 03/08/11 EDD 11/16/11 DD Born on 11/04/11
    BFP #3 08/29/12 EDD 05/06/13 M/C on 08/30/12
    BFP #4 11/01/12 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C on 12/28/12
    BFP #5 04/30/13 EDD 01/03/14 DS Born on 01/02/14
    BFP #6 01/11/15 EDD 09/22/15 M/C 03/09/15
  • Jif peanut butter. If it came between the electric bill and Jif, I'd be seriously conflicted.

• Cheap - razors, purses, socks, tank tops I guess I try to bargain shop for clothes.

Nice - meats and shoes. Got to have the feet be comfy!

@precious72381 good one!
    BFP #1 (7/13/12) MC (8/14) 9 weeks. D & C 8/17.
    BFP #2 (5/18/13) due 1/26/14. Grow baby grow!
    Its a surprise! Team green!

• I do pay a lot for my hair but that's my one personal splurge and I've dropped it back to every three months instead of every other. Waxing, facials, massages, and nails were out the door when I got pregnant. I cannot have cheap TP, paper towels or Qtips. However, that being said I bought the walmart brand of TP and PTs and they are excellent. Great Value, I'm impressed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"