January 2014 Moms

My favorite season working against me

I looooove fall, it's my favorite season. But I'm afraid this time of limbo in between AC and heat is messing with DS's sleep--we obviously can't have that!

He has been back to STTN for over a month now after a rough regression during the summer. But he's woken up terribly early (think 4am) the last three nights, only to fall right to sleep when we bring him into our bed (after the usually effective rocking and shushing attempts fail). The only thing I can think of is that we turned off the AC at this time, and he's waking up cold--coming to our warm bed warms him up and he drops off. This morning he woke up at 5, which wasn't as bad as 4, but I brought him into our room and again he fell right to sleep next to me. I noticed his little hands were like ICE. I felt so guilty! They warmed up as he slept and he ended up sleeping past 7.

Obviously I will break out the fleece sleep sack tonight and see if that helps, but that won't help his poor little mitts. Anyone else struggling with the changing temps? (Don't even get me started on getting him dressed. It may hit 75 today but I still had to send him to daycare in pants and a hoodie with a t-shirt under it, because it was about 55 out when we woke up, decidedly chilly.)

TWO Babies in 2014!
DS #1 Born 01/07/2014, DS #2 Born 12/17/2014

Re: My favorite season working against me

• Well in that case, maybe there's nothing we actually can do? Hmmm. It's possible I'm just being paranoid--his face and body (and I assume feet since he's in footie pj's) are perfectly warm so he can't be that cold. But those little ice cube hands this morning broke my heart.

This time of year is rough between the weird temperature and the looming boogeyman of turning the clocks back (seriously though: HOW DO WE DEAL WITH THAT? Babies do not understand that "an extra hour of sleep" is a good thing! Will he start just waking up at 4 or 5 every day? Noooo!).
    TWO Babies in 2014!

• I feel like breaking out the electric heater already! I'm going to put the homemade blanket on her tonight. DD's hands are also cold, I've noticed.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I turned the heat on in DD's room last night and started back into the fleece sleepers. As for the time change, I'm not looking forward to that either. I read somewhere you're supposed to start the week before it's going to happen putting them to bed 15 mins earlier/later (depending which way the time is changing) each day so when the time changes they won't be affected.
  • Hands - I've found that I just have to put something with some extra sleeve length on him.  His hands stay inside the sleeve then.  I also bought some knit mittens at Walmart the other day.  They are large for his hands still but I would imagine they would work as some extra warmth overnight.

Time Change - I've never liked it to begin with.  Now, with a baby, I really don't like it.  We are currently transitioning to a later bedtime though, so maybe it would be so bad when it gets here.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like the idea of putting them to bed a little later every day so when the "fall back" happens he doesn't feel like he's being put to bed at 630 instead of 730 and decide he's not going to sleep.

I hope that it works for wakeups though, in my experimenting in the past I've found it doesn't seem to matter what time he goes to bed, he still tends to wake up at the same time every day. Lately (the last couple mornings notwithstanding) that has been between 6am and 7am, so I have a feeling we're looking at 5am to 6am wakeups come November. Ugh! Will keep my fingers crossed.
    TWO Babies in 2014!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"