December 2014 Moms

Failed 1 hr test while on metformin.

So, I've been MIA for a while due to work...anyway.

I am overweight and have PCOS. So, I have limited carbs, exercised, and taken metformin the whole pregnancy. I have gained 16 lbs and am 25 weeks tomorrow. So, I failed my 1hr test this morning. I go back on Thurs. for the 3 hr.

So, I feel like I am going to fail. I already know that my body didn't like breaking down sugar pre-preg hence the metformin. My doctor said today that I was doing everything right. However, I have already been doing a limited diet, so I am worried about what I am going to need to do. Oh, and my belly measured big. My doctor just seemed pissed about the whole thing while saying that I was doing things right.

Does anyone have insight on what it's like with GD and taking meds for it? I'm just a little rattled since I have been trying so hard to do things right.

Re: Failed 1 hr test while on metformin.

• GL on the 3 hr! If you do have GD, which sounds likely, you may need more than just the metformin. Some GDM mamas end up on insulin to control sugar levels when diet and exercise are not enough.
    BFP #1 - 2/1/09-mc 2/5/09 @4wks
    BFP #2 - 6/24/09-mc 7/25/09 @8wks
    6/09 Dx w/PCOS--Metformin & Progesterone
    8/09 Dx w/Compound Hetero MTHFR--Neevo, Metanx & BA
    BFP #3 - 1/11/10 - DD1 born 9/16/10 @39w4d, 8lbs 14oz & 20in.
    Heparin from BFP to 34wks.
    BFP #4 - 10/4/11 - DD2 born 6/2/12 @38w1d, 8lbs 11oz & 21in.
    Same med protocol as last time, but heparin continued until delivery.
    BFP #5 - 3/30/14, EDC 12/10/14!!

Beta #1-76 (12dpo), Beta #2-238 (14dpo)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • aksue22aksue22 member
    edited September 2014

I have PCOS and was taking Metformin up until week 10.  Two weeks later, they did my glucose test and lo and behold, I failed.  I failed so miserably, though, that they skipped the 3-hr entirely and diagnosed me as GD.  I was ok with diet except for my fasting sugars, so my MFM doctor put me on Glyburide.  They've had to tweak the dosage here and there (and likely will again). So far, that and diet are the extent of my treatment.

BabyFruit Ticker TTC since 11/2011 Me: Hypothyroid & PCOS DH: 0% morphology IVF #1 - transfer on 4/2/14 BFP 4/11/14 beta 161 EDD: 12/19/14 It's a GIRL! AnaSophia (Sophie; Soph the Loaf) Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Just because you failed the 1 hr doesn't mean you'll fail the 3. I ended up needing 8 salon with my GD because diet did not control it. Injecting insulin is not painful and it wasn't so bad. I was more stressed about the freaking numbers than the injections.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Married: 5/21/05 **~** Emery Aylin 6/30/12

BFP#1-11/5/10- Surgery for ectopic pregnancy 11/15/10 BFP#2-11/1/11 Due 7/8/12 Born 6/30/12
    Oops we did it again... BFP 03/23/14 Due 12/6/14 Nora Born 11/23/14
  • erienerien member
    edited September 2014
    I failed on metformin. My dietician said the metformin really only helps with fasting numbers. You cant do anything to prevent gd. You either have it or you dont. GD is not a reflection of poor diet or exercise routine and your doctor should have told you that. Keep up your healthy habits. You're doing everything right!

Eta: you may not have to change anything about your diet and exercise. That glucola drink is made to spike your sugars so just because your body cant process it well doesn't mean it cant process any carb efficiently.

DS 06/2013

DD 12/2014

• bowlwomanbowlwoman member
    edited September 2014
    @Anna930 Love the drug discussion. I may copy/paste your response to use when talking to my friends about the meds I'm on. I've known this info from my own experiences with both drugs, but you said it so succinctly. :D

@Emilysan16 Sorry to hear about your 1 hr, but you never know what will happen with the 3 hr. And, as PP said, if you fail, then this is how your body responds to pregnancy. PCOS moms are more likely to develop GD anyway due to the underlying insulin issues, but knowing that doesn't necessarily make you feel better. :)

Feel free to join us on the GD thread if you like (yes, I just started one this morning). GD isn't a fun, happy thing, but it's also completely doable to handle.
    BabyFruit Ticker       
    DD1 - 8 years
    DD2 - 6 years
    BFP3 - 3/31/14, Harmony Test 6/5/14 - It's a BOY!

• @bowlwoman‌ I was just reading the GD thread!

Thanks everyone. Hopefully, my 3 hr is okay. If not, I will just have to prepare for finger pricks. I am a baby about needles and the like!
  • @Anna930 I always looked at metformin vs glyburide as two sides of the same coin. Both affect blood glucose levels, but using different pathways.

My OB is a little more old school and doesn't want me on metformin while pregnant, even though many other PCOS women's doctors keep them on it. I do start taking my met again immediately after delivery, though, as PCOS moms can have problems with milk supply and the metformin helps mitigate those issues. Both my OB and the kids' pediatrician are on board, and both girls are healthy as horses now. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker       
    DD1 - 8 years
    DD2 - 6 years

• @bowlwoman‌ I was just reading the GD thread!

Thanks everyone. Hopefully, my 3 hr is okay. If not, I will just have to prepare for finger pricks. I am a baby about needles and the like!
    The finger pricks honestly aren't that bad. Not saying they're my favorite thing ever, but you become very stoic about it after a while. 

The girls want me to test them occasionally, so even though they know it isn't pleasant, they actually like finding out what their numbers are. I don't mind doing it because it opens up a dialog about healthy eating habits. :) 
    BabyFruit Ticker       
    DD1 - 8 years
    DD2 - 6 years

• No advice or experience (besides the fact that I always fail the one hour and pass the three hour test), but I just wanted to offer support.

You are clearly doing everything right and being diligent. You are going to be a great mom to your LO. Hang in there! December is coming soon!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"