August 2014 Moms

Breast milk that won't freeze

I have been freezing breastmilk occasionally, and there was this one bag that wouldn't freeze. The fat separated from the milk and it was completely liquid... No slush, nothing. I didn't think I'd had alcohol before that pump, but I wasn't sure. I haven't had enough to drink pp to cause unsafe milk anyways. I froze the bag in the same place as the other bags. Everything else in the freezer was still frozen. I tossed the bag out. Then, today (about a week later), the same thing happened. Wtf!?! I google searched the problem but didn't come up with any answers. Why won't some bags of my breast milk freeze?
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Dog tickers Teacher 2007 * Wife 2011 * Proud A14 Momma * Seattle, WA

Answers

• I have never heard of that before and this is my second child to breastfed and I pumped at work until 12 months last time. So weird!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimage
  • Did you check the temp?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • This is the weirdest thing!! It was in the freezer an adequate amount of time? Do you freeze more than one room- /fridge-temp bag at once and its neighbor was frozen but it wasn't? I'm confused!
  • How long was it in the freezer?  Other items were frozen?

son#1 born 6/2010

son#2 born 4/2012

son#3 born 7/2014

• Could there be more air in those bags? (I wouldn't think it would make a difference but maybe?)
  • @rockyrollgirl‌ I didn't check the temp, but everything else was frozen and new bags of milk froze after this one. @pmpkn219‌ I only freeze one bag at a time and I always put it in the same place above the ice tray until it's frozen. @Valancyy‌ It was in there for more than 2days. There's also about the same amount of air in each bag-I'm uber mariculture to only leave a small air bubble. I'm e-mailing my lactation consultant. I hate wasting milk and I hope my milk isn't occasionally bad!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Dog tickers Teacher 2007 * Wife 2011 * Proud A14 Momma * Seattle, WA
  • Is it possible that your freezer was going through a defrost cycle? I've noticed that my house freezer (on the fridge) is getting worse about thawing too much when it does it's routine defrost. Ice cream turns into soup!

For that reason alone, I put bm into the deep freezer.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• My H says alcohol, but I really do not think that is it. I still think it is temperature related.

• Ya know what...try putting it somewhere else in the freezer and see what happens.

• The 2nd batch that wouldn't freeze was from my morning pump-def no alcohol in it... Unless something is fermenting in the milk? If my freezer was defrosting, the other milk that's frozen in there would unfreeze. @rockyrollgirl‌ I put it in a new location. It's not the freezer... It must be my milk :-<
  • The LC said it must be the freezer. It's on the coldest setting, I just don't think it's the freezer. Other women have had similar issues (I saw when I google searched for a solution). Humph
  • Is there anything about excess lipase and not freezing? I know they say it will smell sour/turned when it thawed but does it make it harder to freeze too? I agree with whoever said you'd have to have quite a bit to drink to make alcohol in the milk keep it from freezing...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"