November 2013 Moms
Options

FF Mamas TTMA "Toddler Transition" formulas

I just got our mail and inside it was a sample for Enfagrow Toddler Transitions. Is anyone out there switching over to something like this before moving to WCM at 1 year? Have you already made the change?

Part of me wants to give this a go for a number of reasons: right now she's on Enfamil Prosobee soy formula but NOT because she has a milk intolerance (she seems to handle the Plum Organics pouches that contain Greek yogurt just fine). I stuck with it because she was getting stomach viruses so often and the doctor recommended the temporary change to soy, but she was generally acting like a different baby on Prosobee over Gentlease so I just stuck with it). So now I feel like I want to ease the dairy transition slowly by switching to this over an infant formula and then go over to organic whole WCM at age 1. Thoughts? I feel like this is more of a personal choice than a "call your pedi" moment, but I could be wrong.

#LOLFITMAMA

Re: FF Mamas TTMA "Toddler Transition" formulas

• Options
    I asked the pedi at our 9m visit and she said it's not necessary and we could switch to WCM and if we don't do that Almond milk would be the alternative- which is exactly what I wanted to do because we only buy almond milk. Hope this helps
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We're not using the toddler stuff unless the switch to some sort of milk doesn't go well (like, if he stops gaining weight on his curve or something, then we could do the toddler formula since it's higher in calories).
    Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • Options
    We're not using the toddler stuff unless the switch to some sort of milk doesn't go well (like, if he stops gaining weight on his curve or something, then we could do the toddler formula since it's higher in calories).
    Really? Hmm...

This has me worried only because she's already a little off her curve for her weight (on the higher end). I don't want her to gain too much too fast. Although, I wonder if changing to a toddler formula would mean she'd want less formula and more solids?

#LOLFITMAMA
  • Options
    cagoldicagoldi member
    edited September 2014

Really? Hmm...

This has me worried only because she's already a little off her curve for her weight (on the higher end). I don't want her to gain too much too fast. Although, I wonder if changing to a toddler formula would mean she'd want less formula and more solids?

A started dropping his milk intake to
    about 20 oz a lot of days.

ETA: I'm certain this varies among brands but his Getber Gentle infant formula was 100 calories/5 oz and his Gerber Gentle Hraduates formula is the same calorie wise.
  • Options
    @cagoldi she naturally started "cutting out" about 8oz!! Now she gets 8oz first thing in the AM, two 4oz bottles throughout the day, and another 8oz before bed...and still doesn't even always finish every bottle.

#LOLFITMAMA
  • Options
    cagoldicagoldi member
    edited September 2014
    Also, I don't know if we will stay on the toddler formula his entire second year. We may try hemp milk or goat milk depending how his diet looks at any given point. Consider the fact that A still has unknown immune problems and/or allergies so his situation is a little different.
  • Options
    So those of you not trying WCM and whose reasoning isn't allergy related, is it because of the iron?

#LOLFITMAMA
  • Options

Butting in here, because we don't feed formula, but I feel it would be cheaper to just give tri-vi-sol +iron than continue giving formula. B's hemoglobin was a little low at his 9 month check, so that's what his pedi recommended.

We FF and give Poly-Vi-Sol per pedi recommendation.
  • Options

I think it's weird to drink another animals milk. Also I think pasturization takes away many nutrients from WCM. From what I remember Almond milk has more nutrients. I do love dairy though! @fitmama418 I talked to my pedi about the growth curve because LM went from 91% to 68% in weight. He said there is one curve for both BF and FF.
    You lost me.

#LOLFITMAMA
  • Options
    We just went for our 9 month check up and the pedi told us at 1 year to transition over to wcm and didn't say anything about toddler formula. She also said to start trying to give him formula in a sippy cup to help get him used to not needing to use a bottle. Has anyone else heard this? He will be 10 months next week.
  • Options
    We just went for our 9 month check up and the pedi told us at 1 year to transition over to wcm and didn't say anything about toddler formula. She also said to start trying to give him formula in a sippy cup to help get him used to not needing to use a bottle. Has anyone else heard this? He will be 10 months next week.
    Yes our pedi said the same thing. I'll probably wait until November to try that, though. She takes water out of a sippy just fine.

#LOLFITMAMA
  • Options

Yes our pedi said the same thing. I'll probably wait until November to try that, though. She takes water out of a sippy just fine.

Have you started with a straw sippy cup yet? Or just a regular sippy cup?
  • Options
    Have you started with a straw sippy cup yet? Or just a regular sippy cup?
    Just regular BUT she absolutely loves straws and tries to suck out of the sippy (and her bottle) as if it were a straw. Therefore, I think I'm going to be getting her a few Camelbaks here soon.

#LOLFITMAMA
  • Options
    I'll talk to my ped first, but I'll probably skip the toddler formula and go straight to WCM.
  • Options
    cagoldi said:
    Also, I don't know if we will stay on the toddler formula his entire second year. We may try hemp milk or goat milk depending how his diet looks at any given point. Consider the fact that A still has unknown immune problems and/or allergies so his situation is a little different.
    The first time I've ever seen my pedi absolutely panic at any of my "crazy" ideas was when I suggested we'd transition H to goat's milk. There is a rare but apparently very dangerous vitamin deficiency associated with it called Megaloblastic Anemia. https://nyp.org/health/blood_aneper.html
    Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • Options
    @DebateThis‌ does that only apply to goats milk? If you got enough leafy greens would it not be a concern?
    I didn't do a TON of reading on it but my understanding is that goat's milk is much higher in sodium than cow's milk (quick google = 122mg sodium per cup in goat milk vs 107mg in cow's which is hard on the kidneys) and the high sodium in it actually blocks absorption of key nutrients (folate) AND is lower in folate than cow's milk. So it's like a one-two-three punch of not good.

Then there's the "oh crap" factor that a lot of kids who are lactose intolerant or who otherwise can't do cow's milk also have issues with goat's milk.

Most of what I'm finding is in regard to babies who are not eating a lot of solids but the fact that it is harder to digest, actually blocks nutrient absorption and apparently has allergenic issues was enough for me to scratch it off the list. 
  • Options
    @DebateThis Thank you for that info. We are proceeding with extreme caution, so I am absolutely not making any move until we talk to the pedi well into next year. I do lean towards hemp milk, but again, no moves will be made without the guidance of his doctor.
  • Options

@mwhipple77‌ Want mine, too?

Yes please! I'll send you a PM now!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"