April 2015 Moms

old wives tales

Has anyone ever tried any of the old wives tales to determine gender? The Chinese gender chart was right for me for my first pregnancy butbi wanted to know what else is out there and what's worked for everyone else.

Re: old wives tales

• Chinese calendar on the bump was right for me, but about 3 others online were wrong.  We did the wedding ring on a chain test last time and that was actually accurate as well. 
    I'd also heard that craving sweets means a girl and carbs means a boy, and I wanted nothing to do with sweets last time and did have a boy. 
    I think they are all funny, but it's fun to play. 
  • It's fun to play around with I think, but this is my first baby, so I guess we'll see what's right. The real funny thing is thebump Chinese calendar says boy, the top search result for Chinese calendar on google says girl. I guess it's a 50/50 shot.. LOL!

Me: 26 DH:27
    Military family
    TTC#1 Jan 14

BFP! 17 Aug 2014 | EDD 26 April 15

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My Chinese calendar says it's a girl, but I've also read recently that if the placenta is on the left, it's a girl, if it's on the right, it's a boy...mine is on the left, so it's matching the Chinese calendar....we shall see in 11 weeks! 
  • There are quite a few sex test you can do for fun.

Chinese Gender
    Baking soda
    Key test
    Ring and string
    Red cabbage
    Eyeball test

Some old wives tales

How you carry high or low
    Morning sickness
    Sweet or salty
    The hair line on your previous child

Some are crazy and funny. I personally don't think they are a 100% accurate but just for fun.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

• dmcox10 said:

My Chinese calendar says it's a girl, but I've also read recently that if the placenta is on the left, it's a girl, if it's on the right, it's a boy...mine is on the left, so it's matching the Chinese calendar....we shall see in 11 weeks! 

This is a new one for me. I've never heard this before.

I believe she is referring to the ramzi theory.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • How do you tell where the placenta is?
  • I have never heard of the placenta one either. The carrying high/low is the one I've always heard about. Chinese Chart is fun. I think I did it with my youngest but I don't remember if it was right. I looked mine up today and if I conceived in July it's a boy.. August a girl. We are team green, but I am hoping for a girl because then we will have 2 girls and 2 boys. I don't need anymore testosterone in this house! haha
    James|10.23.03 ; Zoe|08.13.05
    Jack|07.19.10 ; Belly Dweller|04.24.15

imageimage
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • None work don't get your hopes up!! The heart rate one is not true our midwives were quick to point that out lol we did try the shettles method this time around to try for a boy and that method has worked for many couples I know even though some people say it isn't proven!
  • Duffgurl said:

dmcox10 said:

My Chinese calendar says it's a girl, but I've also read recently that if the placenta is on the left, it's a girl, if it's on the right, it's a boy...mine is on the left, so it's matching the Chinese calendar....we shall see in 11 weeks! 

This is a new one for me. I've never heard this before.
    I believe she is referring to the ramzi theory.

Is that what it's called?! I found it on Pinterest forever and a day ago and I saved it for giggles when I did get pregnant. Of course it's all fun to just play along

• @dmcox10‌ yes on another app I have every woman post a pic of their U/S and ask what everyone thinks from the ramzi theory.

I believe you need to ask the U/S tech which side the placenta is on. Since you really can't base it off a photo.

• @Duffgurl‌ lol I may not be seeing what I think I'm seeing then. My process of elongation was: the yolk sac attaches to the "soon to be" placenta, which if I play along, looks like a girl. Meh who caress as long as it's healthy
  • dmcox10 said:

@Duffgurl‌ lol I may not be seeing what I think I'm seeing then. My process of elongation was: the yolk sac attaches to the "soon to be" placenta, which if I play along, looks like a girl. Meh who caress as long as it's healthy

@Duffgurl‌ elongated?! Really? Damn auto correct: elimination!
  • I'm trying to figure it out on my own photo but I've also read if it was done transvaginal that the image would be mirrored, I'm dying to know if it's true, cause that would show a little boy!
  • I have 3 girls. The Chinese gender chart predicted two of them would be boys. So, I am not banking on it. Other than that, one of my SILs did the needle and thread thing, dangling over my wrist, and said it'd be twins (first), and then a girl. I will wait for an ultrasound to determine these things, as they don't have a great track record for me.
  • CaterinaC said:

What on earth is the 'eyeball test'?

It goes if there is a V or Y shaped vein on the bottom of your eye on the left side it's a girl. If on the right a boy.

You have to pull down your lower lid to see.

Again not a 100% accurate. Just for fun.
  • Has anyone tried the baking soda test
  • My friend just posted the cutest photo the day before their ultrasound gender exam, it was a pic of all the old wives tales she has done, heartbeat, baking soda, carrying high/low, MS, stealing beauty or not, chinese gender calendar, etc and whether they predicted boy or girl for them, and what her and her dh predicted. Then she asked people to guess...and the next day announced! I'm totally stealing the idea from her...it was so fun! Fyi in case you are curious...it was 70/30 girl v boy and they are having a girl <:-P
  • I've tried to guess where the placenta is from my photos...but I've decided its impossible to figure out if its on the left or right bc you dont know if the picture is mirror image or not. Oh well! I like doing the ring/string test. So far all the old wives tales I've done say girl...but I'm not decorating the nursery yet! I think its all just in good fun.
  • I just tried out the baking soda test. I figured, why not? I am curious.

Basically take a small amount of baking soda (I used maybe a 1/2 teaspoon) and put it in a cup. Then you pee on it. Easy enough.
    Supposedly, if it fizzles/froths it is a boy due to higher acidity in urine if you are carrying a boy. If no fizzle, it's supposedly a girl.

Mine fizzled. Hope it's accurate, because we would really like a little boy. (We have 3 girls.) I am not banking on it, but will definitely say if it was accurate when I find out.
  • So far the ring-and-string and the baking soda are saying Team Pink, but I'm only 7w4d so I'm not sure if I'm far enough along for them to count :P
    BFP 8/8/14 - EDD 4/22/15

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Within my family anyway, the ring test has been 100% accurate. Kinda weird but we haven't done it on me yet.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • nmac5986 said:

I've tried to guess where the placenta is from my photos...but I've decided its impossible to figure out if its on the left or right bc you dont know if the picture is mirror image or not. Oh well! I like doing the ring/string test. So far all the old wives tales I've done say girl...but I'm not decorating the nursery yet! I think its all just in good fun.

Its a mirror image if the ultrasound is abdominal. Actual image when the ultrasound is transvaginal.

Me (28) DH (27)
    Married June 2012
    Started TTC July 2013
         BFP #1          August 2013          EDD 4/29/14            natural MC at 6-7 week
    BFP #2         January 2014         EDD 9/24/14            MC at 8 weeks, D&C
    BFP #3         March 2014            EDD 12/4/14            MC at 8 weeks, D&C
    BFP #4         August 2014            EDD 4/20/15        Hoping for our rainbow
                                                It's a BOY!

• I've been researching this for years and self published a collection of Old Wives Tales that has a chapter on gender identification and, believe it or not, ways to ensure you get the gender you desire.  Hey, they are Old Wives Tales but fun to read.  If you get a minute check out my Old Wives Tales for New Mothers Facebook page and help me on my next book which will be a collection of anecdotes that people personally experienced some sort of relationship between Old Wives Tales and actual events.  By the way, this is all for fun but it is fascinating.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"