April 2013 Moms

Am I crazy?

Long story short - my mother-in-law screamed at me over the phone this morning when I finally confronted them (nicely!) about washing our carseat without my permission.

A couple months ago, DD was suffering (and still suffers) from motion sickness and she had thrown up on the straps and part of the carseat cover one day while MIL was in the car. I got home that night, read the manual and cleaned it according to the instructions: damp cloth only on everything. Well of course it wasn't perfect and there were still spots. But who cares?

A few weeks later, MIL babysat for us. She's a clean freak, and before I even brought DD over I said, "You have to promise me not to clean the carseat. It can compromise the straps." She agreed.

Well, when we picked DD up, the carseat was spotless, the straps were wet.

I said nothing. But holy cow, I was upset. And it's been keeping me awake at night. Last night I kept dreaming of the straps breaking in a car accident. I woke up this morning, thinking - ok, I obviously have to ask them about it. Online someone mentioned straps may be replaced by the manufacturer.

I wrote them an email, explaining that I need to know if they put anything on the straps, etc., for DD's safety. I explained the safety concerns. I tried to be as nice as possible.

And today I got screamed at, how dare I accuse them of this, that they didn't touch the carseat, and told to "have a nice life". What the heck?

Re: Am I crazy?

• Because you specifically told your MIL NOT TO do it and explained that it was for SAFETY purposes, yet she did it anyway, yes. I'd be pissed. 
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • That's.... very odd. Odd that she'd specifically do what you asked her NOT to do, and then odd that she'd deny it. Is there ANY chance that they didn't wash them???  I'm so sorry.  You're in the right though!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @js1002 Unless they have some magical cleaning fairy that cleans things without them knowing, yes, they cleaned it. There was a huge mark on the cover at least 3-4 inches long x wide. The straps had whitish stains all along them. You could not miss it. When we picked it up that afternoon, the carseat looked brand new.

I don't even know what to say to them. I'm glad that its not just me who found their reaction bizarre. Its pretty sad that they want to take offence to this, when I am just looking out for my daughter's safety.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"