January 2015 Moms

People say the dumbest things

I just can't with some people, for serious.

Since finding out we're expecting a boy, I've heard the following comments:

"Your husband must be so excited that it's a boy!  Dads always are most excited to have a son."

"Now it doesn't matter if you can have a second child - at least you have a son to carry on the family name!"

"With a boy, you'll only have to worry about controlling one penis rather than all of them."

"Well, you won't have to worry about a son getting knocked up in high school!"

I'm the sort to straighten people out, and I definitely do try.  But holy hell, the absolute nerve of some people!

What terrible things have you been told recently?

************************SIGGY WARNING***********************

Me: 29      DH:  32
Off birth control March 2012 - Actively trying Sept 2012-April 2014
Unexplained Infertility
BFP on May 5th after Follistim & IUI #3
Ryan Henry - born 1/10/15, 7 lb 5 oz, 20 1/4 inches

NTNP for a sibling starting March 2015
Waiting on cycle to resume while EBF

imageimage

Re: People say the dumbest things

• "I knew you had it in you!" -from DH's friend after he found out we were having a boy. Cue major eye roll.

"As long as I live you will live. As long as I live you will be loved."

BFP#1 3/31/12 EDD 12/1/12,No HB 6/6/12 (14 weeks 4 days), D&C 6/11/12 (15 weeks 2 days)*Arabella Ann*

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP#2 5/21/14 EDD 1/27/15 *GROW BABY GROW*

• SRose1005SRose1005 member
    edited August 2014
    From the ultrasound tech, "well I'm glad to see you're having a girl, because I have a 15 year old daughter and misery loves company."

Thanks buddy. I did chuckle a little, because I was a terror when I was about that age, but overall not a totally helpful comment.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Hahahaha WHAT. People be crazy
  • MaebbMaebb member
    edited August 2014
    When people find out that our #2 is a second boy, "So, are you going to have 3 to try for the girl?"

Cool your jets, people. I don't know what makes them think that we have to have a girl, but what if it's another boy? Just keep having more until we finally get a girl?
  • WTF.

Thankfully, no one has pissed me off yet. However, when we told my MIL it was boy we all joked that we hoped he wouldn't take after my FIL (multiple affairs, divorce, etc). We said we weren't worried because H turned out fine and she replied "There's still time". I think she would love it if H left me.
    ******************************************** siggy warning ******************************************

image image

Married July 2011 * TTC #1 since 8/12 * Me: 29 DH: 29
    21 Cycles TI: BFNs
    DX: Stage 2 Endo, uterine polyps and paratubal cysts removed
    2/14: IVF #1 Lupron Protocol = 12R/10M/9F, no frosties; transferred one 3BB blast = BFN
    4/14: IVF #2 Antagonist Protocol = 18R/16M/15F/6 frosties; transferred one 4BB blast = BFP!!
    Beta #1 (5/12) = 232 Beta #2 (5/16) = 886 Beta #3 (5/20) = 3168
    EDD 1/18/15 It's a BOY 

~~~~~~ All Are Welcome ~~~~~~

• "Oh, 4 boys? You'll have to try again."

I'm so sick of hearing people's thoughts and opinions. I'm sick of being told I have to have another. I'm good. I'm content. I'm not having any more. I said this was my last, boy or girl.

People need to lay off!

• I've gotten "oh man,I wanted u to have a girl" well too bad, it's a boy n were thrilled so idc what u wanted lol...
  • "Oh, 4 boys? You'll have to try again." I'm so sick of hearing people's thoughts and opinions. I'm sick of being told I have to have another. I'm good. I'm content. I'm not having any more. I said this was my last, boy or girl. People need to lay off!
    When I was pregnant with DS3, a complete stranger saw me in line with the other 2 and asked what I was having.  When I told her another boy she looked devastated and said, "Well, keep trying until you have a daughter.  Even if you have to have 7."  She was completely serious.  I actually laughed in her face and said, "Um. No thank you.  I'm done."  I don't know what they think is so wrong with all boys.  All mine are mommas boys and I LOVE IT!!!!  I always tell them, "Better all boys than all girls.."  Funny, no one has disagreed with me on that.  LOL
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • WTF is wrong with some people?! I haven't had any crazy things said to me, at least that I can remember.
    Multiple TTCAL 1image
     TTC #1 since March 2011 
    BFP #1: EDD 4/16/13~~blighted ovum w/ 2 gestational sacs~~Loss on 9/18/12
    BFP #2: EDD 9/3/13~~Slow HB at 1st U/S~~MMC -Loss on 2/13/13
    9/13, 10/13, 1/14: letrozole + trigger + TI = All BFNs
    3/14: IUI#1 letrozole/Bravelle/Menopur + trigger = BFN
    BFP #3: EDD 1/27/15 Please be our rainbow! ...Team Green

• rainbowsrainbows member
    edited August 2014
    My aunt wants me to keep trying until we have a girl.  Im ilke WTF, we dont even have this baby out yet, and Im not looking foward to going through all this again.  So I told her she was lucky there was even one baby coming for her to try to spoil  (My DH avoids her like the plague, and I dont care for her much either).

Edit.  Although to be honest, The though that he wouldnt get knocked up in HS, was a thought factor in being glad that we were having a boy.  Yes, it takes 2 to tango, but proper contraceptive use still resides mostly with the females at this time.
    Me: 34    DH: 28.  Married Jan 2012.  Started TTC Jan 2014.  Got our first BFP April 28th. Baby Boy Born: December 24 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Grow! photo leela_grow.gif
  • Everyone knows this is our last baby, and we'll have 2 girls now. Before we found out, everyone told us that they hoped it was a boy. We said that we didn't care, but apparently we were the only ones. EVERYONE told us they hoped we were having a boy.

So when we announced it was a girl we got lots of "congratulations" but with a sympathetic tone in their voices or look on their faces. 

It's kind of annoying because we're not disappointed at all, but no one has said anything terribly rude about it, and I hope it stays that way.
    I'm also worried about this. Everyone says that they hope we have a girl and I just kinda laugh it off. I don't really care if we have a boy or girl, and would be really ecstatic to have a pack of boys running around my house. We're more concerned about the reactions of friends and family.

• I have a workmate due a few days before me. She's has two girls already and this baby is also a girl. I was asked the other day what I was having. When I said boy, the person replied "you should tell her what you did to get a boy! Good for you having a boy first!"

Um... I thought for sure this baby was a girl. I wasn't trying for a particular sex; it was a 50-50 shot at one or the other

I would be really irate if someone said this to me. What kinda person thinks it's ok to say something like that? How rude!
  • rainbows said:

My aunt wants me to keep trying until we have a girl.  Im ilke WTF, we dont even have this baby out yet, and Im not looking foward to going through all this again.  So I told her she was lucky there was even one baby coming for her to try to spoil  (My DH avoids her like the plague, and I dont care for her much either).

Edit.  Although to be honest, The though that he wouldnt get knocked up in HS, was a thought factor in being glad that we were having a boy.  Yes, it takes 2 to tango, but proper contraceptive use still resides mostly with the females at this time.
    Oh FFS, I can't even deal with this comment. This rubs me the wrong way. I'm mobile, and cooking dinner, maybe I'll come back later when I've got time and give a piece of my mind on this.

• People I barely even know from work that only started talking to me because I'm pregnant saying "I knew it was a girl" hmmm is that so? I'm also tired of hearing people talk about how "tiny" I am and how I "don't even look pregnant" well I'm sorry that I was skinny before I got pregnant and I haven't gained a bunch of weight...but I'm pretty sure that my bump wasn't there before, therefore I look pregnant.

I'm just so tired of people talking about my body like it's their business. Half these people wouldn't even talk to me if I wasn't pregnant. I just keep telling myself only 2 more months of dealing with these people at work then I'm out!
  • Maebb said:
    @southernyankeegirl‌, WHAT, I would have been LIVID at that comment from the cashier. It definitely was not her place to comment on your groceries or your personal life. Maybe you were too shocked and angry to talk to the manager, but you should. Many of the comments in this thread are dumb, but that is truly offensive and over the line.

I agree, I wasn't equipped in the moment to handle it better.  However, I don't remember what the cashier looked like and certainly not her name.  It wouldn't be very productive at this point.

DH and I now joke every time I'm going somewhere without my wedding ring that I'm "making bad choices".

Unexplained Infertility

imageimage

• rainbowsrainbows member
    edited September 2014
    rainbows said:

But... why?  That's just so weird to me.

If my son sticks his dick in some girl, they both need to deal with the consequences.  Sure, he wouldn't need to miss class to deliver a baby, but he'd be working after school to pay for medical costs and diapers and formula (if needed) and doing his part in raising the child. 

And it's his dick - it's his job to wrap it if he wants to use it.  I don't get why there's this attitude that "boys will be boys" and it's a girl's job (and her parents') to hold them off.  We need to teach boys that they CAN control themselves and make smart decisions.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/carina-kolodny/the-conversation-you-must-have-with-your-sons_b_3764489.html

Because a boy needs to use a condom once.  A girl has to remember to take a pill EVERY day.  I wasnt trying to say a boy doesnt need to be responsible, but its way easier to have to think about protection once you are ready for the act than it is to remember to take it at the same time, every single day.  

Edit:  Thats one of the reasons why i switched to a long term solution once I got married.  
    Me: 34    DH: 28.  Married Jan 2012.  Started TTC Jan 2014.  Got our first BFP April 28th. Baby Boy Born: December 24 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Grow! photo leela_grow.gif
  • edited September 2014
    Yeah... The usual... This one is a girl, my first is a boy so naturally I'm getting the "that's perfect!" Comments .... Or "oh good!!" Like its a relief I just roll my eyes... Not worth the energy to get actually offended or angry... But yeah it's stupid. I would have been just as happy with another boy and we still would have been done at 2 

That story about the cashier -- such bullshit. I would have gone straight to the manager .... Not ok

Cat leg goes crazy and beats itself in the face

image  image
  • Stargirlb said:

I wish people asked me rude and stupid questions because I have a zillion rude and stupid zingers ready for them!

You have rude and stupid zingers? Doubt that. :P

Everyone says to me that they think I'm having a girl but they really hope I "get my boy." I have a daughter already so I guess I need a boy to complete the set?

If my baby is a girl does anyone wanna trade me their boy?

• Being a single mom, I get the "do you know who the father is?" and "is the father going to be involved?"  I'm one to make people feel equally uncomfortable asking questions like the first one, so I'll say something like "I didn't really get a good look at him." or "I've narrowed it down to 10 or so.  We'll see when the baby comes if I'm right!"  

For the record...I DO know who the father is, there was only ONE possibility, and we had been dating for quite a while when I got pregnant.  
    Haha thats awesome. I do the same thing or say well we will find out on maury.
  • @longcat07‌ - I agree, having two committed parents is awesome. Being a single Mom is harder but still awesome. Marital status really has nothing to do with that. To hell with this bitch - if I had my wits about me, I probably would have told her that.

And given the conservative Christian community that's pretty strong around here, I shouldn't have been too surprised. It just was so strange and took me off guard!

Unexplained Infertility

imageimage

• My uncle in law asked me if I was scared. Me all puzzled said of what? He said, of giving birth and all that. It's gonna hurt ain't it!

Well thanks for that Sherlock. Well done. Like I need reminding of the fact. Yes it's gonna hurt like hell but I've been there done that and as I'm a WOMAN and born to handle that shit I think I've got this one in the bag. What an ass. Men are such pussies. Slightest cold and they're rolling around dying.

Also the "Oh no youre having another boy! Shame it's not a girl!" type of comments.
    BabyFetus Ticker

#1 Son born: 18 June 2008 :) 
     #2 M/C: 23 January 2014 at 5w,2d :( 
     #3 BFP: 28 April 2014. Yay! EDD: 6th January 2015
  • @longcat07‌ - I agree, having two committed parents is awesome. Being a single Mom is harder but still awesome. Marital status really has nothing to do with that. To hell with this bitch - if I had my wits about me, I probably would have told her that. And given the conservative Christian community that's pretty strong around here, I shouldn't have been too surprised. It just was so strange and took me off guard!
    yes, this too.  i don't know why i didn't touch on that either, because i've done the single mom schtick and it had nothing to do with choice (and it seldom does...and even when it DOES, what business is it of anyone else's?).

between that and @ExcitedMama's comments about knowing who the father is, i may have lost what little faith/optimism i had left in humanity.  most of these are just dumb and eyeroll-worthy but those are just plain douchebaggery.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    photo gum-chewers.gif
    BFP#1 EDD 04.20.2010, SUNSHINE baby boy born 03.31.2010
    BFP#2 EDD 12.07.2014, natural mc 04.09.2014 at 5w3d
    BFP#3 EDD 01.14.15, RAINBOW baby girl born 01.16.2015

photo quad_zps6309d559.jpg  image   

Lilypie First Birthday tickers  Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    jan'15 january siggy challenge: baby fails
  • I was just reminded of another one I got when people were finding out I was pregnant... "You're going to get married before that baby comes, right? That baby needs married parents before it gets here. Just go have a quicky wedding and not tell anyone. I can't believe you planned having a baby before marriage." Now, she looks at my hand whenever she sees me to see if there is a wedding band instead of just an engagement ring. She'll also call my FI my husband to see if I won't correct her.

I got this too!! And i laughed so hard and said god no taking care of baby is enough i dont need to take care of a man on top of it
    She had a utterly horrified look on her face
  • I still don't get your explanation @rainbows‌.

We are team green, but I get asked if we will "be done after this one if it's a boy." I tell them we don't need the baby to be a certain sex for our family to be complete. They don't know what to say, usually.

BFP #1: 4/2/12 -- DD born 12/15/12. BFP #2: 4/1/14 -- CP. BFP #3: 4/28/14 -- EDD 1/10/15

Jan 15  NOV siggy challenge: 

• Wow. Most of the comments directed at me recently have been about my growing belly. One male coworker called it a pot belly. Ummm, no. There is another human being in there, thankyouverymuch.

• One of my old bosses saw me last week and hasn't seen me since I started modified duties. He doesn't like me.
    He just shouted "woah look at you, you're filling out!!"
    I've gained 6 pounds and I'm 5 months.
    He didn't say it to be nice. He's an asshole.
  • We found out we were pregnant with my now 4yr old about a week before our wedding that November, we'd been engaged since august. His mother had the balls to say " Oh, so THATS why y'all are getting married!" I was livid! I still don't like that woman, but luckily we live about 30 minutes away from her now, and she never comes to visit!
  • My favorite is "Wow isn't it time for that baby to come out yet?" Um no I'm 5 months pregnant, and the person just noticed I was pregnant. So thank you for telling me I'm too big already. He already measures 2 weeks ahead, he's going to be a big boy, I'm not some small girl either. So yes I look pregnant and I'm sure I will get an unendless supply of stupid comments.
  • Almost all strange comments that I have no clue how to answer (without being a total smart ass) come from my MIL.

One of these days I'm going to dish it like it's served....one day.

Baby boy due January 10

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"