December 2013 Moms
Options

Sunday SuperSpam

I am up and at work WAY to early for this jazz. I just want sleep. I know a few if not all of you mama's are right there with me! Sitting at work trying to make it thru another 12hr shift. What are you all up to today? 

Re: Sunday SuperSpam

• Options
    @sweett11 that relationship between a dad and his daughter is the sweetest thing. My DH has been a wonderful dad to all 3 kids. I won't lie I find it sweeter when he is being all mushy with the girls vs our DS (not that its not cute as well). I am glad you got your extra sleep, wanna send me some? LOL. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Nabours3‌ why unwrapped? I've never heard of that before... Unless the items are being do donated. I'm assuming it's to save time. I find the diaper thing gift grabby too. I would buy the smallest box a could get.

I asked people to bring a book instead of a card to my sisters shower but I didn't feel like that was gift grabby. I thought it was a nice collection for LO to have when they got older.
  • Options
    I find that to be very tacky! I would probably decline depending on the relationship. Or I'd being a very small pack of diapers and wrap the gift anyway.

Displaying photo.JPGDisplaying photo.JPG
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    lp0lp0 member
    The unwrapped present thing doesn't really bother me. Sometimes unwrapping all the gifts take forever especially if there's a lot of gifts. Also I found it hard to bend with a big belly to unwrap the gift (even with friends helping). But asking for diapers AND a gift is tacky!

It must have been the morning of babies and DH's. DD slept like crap last night and decided it was time to party between 2:30am-4am. I have a cold so I was beyond thankful that DH took both lo's downstairs this morning and let me sleep until 9:30am.
    "Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

BFP! 04/26/11 - DS born 12/28/11 - BFP #2! 04/02/13 - DD born 12/11/13 -
    My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

• Options
    So as many of you know I foster for a dog rescue, I am in charge of this weeks transport 14 dogs...4 of them are 4 months old and are coming from a gassing facility and were going to be put down just for the space..............(this breaks my heart and gives me all the sads) anywhoo I just got an email about a woman who killed herself and left 3 senior beagles behind...14,12 and 10.......LORD give me the strength today. We have no funds, I now need to put together a trip by "legs" to get these dogs here to Nebraska. 
  • Options
    Basset and Beagle of the Heartland (BBRH) we get beagles from TN ALL the fricking fracking time. TN is the WORST WORST WORST and most inhumane state for dogs,especially hounds. They still have a law on the books saying if you have a hunting breed dog they are not a dog but they are property and they don't need to be cared for like a dog would. If you can prove you use/have used it for hunting purposes IE. no water,food or shelter is needed and the animal control can't take a dog because of those conditions. Also lots of hunting dogs are just let lose if they are gun shy or if they fail to hunt to standers or if they just get old. They are just let loose. The lack of spaying/neutering in some areas down there is also so lacking and that just creates another issue. We also often get dogs from GA,MO and OK. TN is where we just get the bulk of them. I could go on and on about the laws in TN and the inhumane way they "put down" dogs in shelters but I will spare you and everyone else my babble. @mcncheese tell your SIL's parents they are amazing and TY for what they do to help. 

• Options
    At my shower my mom did a diaper game thing like bring a pack of diapers you get in a drawing for gifts but she did not say bring a gift and diapers. Most people did both and the girls from the barn all did diapers and my pack and play... the diapers really helped.
    Its raining and gross here today and I don't want to go back to work Tuesday I would rather stay with K...how does it get harder every time???
    @notkate how was your birthday/anniversary? Sorry I missed it yesterday but happy belated on both!!
  • Options
    We are going to a pool party/BBQ this afternoon. I also need to wash a bunch of new clothes for C. He just went through a big growth spurt and nothing seems to fit anymore.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm nursing LO and trying to get her to nap. DH is in the other room trying to hang new blinds. He is having trouble and keeps whispering curse words. It is cracking me up!
  • Options
    lp0lp0 member
    Both of my dogs came from a rescue that transports dogs from TN to CT. It's an amazing thing you are doing for those dogs @Cambury108‌!
    "Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

BFP! 04/26/11 - DS born 12/28/11 - BFP #2! 04/02/13 - DD born 12/11/13 -
    My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

• Options
    @lpo198 Thanks, Its hard sometimes and I want to give up but I wont. I cant. I am glad you adopted especially TN dogs. Bless you and your family :) 
  • Options
    I just got off work. I'm eating leftover chili. Kahlan is napping.

I had a diaper raffle at my baby shower. But bringing diapers was optional, it just opted you in to the chance to win a $50 gift card.

Also, is anyone else's kid just being a fussy non sleeping child? Ugh. We were up 5 times before 4 this morning. So I brought her into the living room and she work up crying 3 more times before 6:30 when she finally woke up.
  • Options

Ltpugs said:

@Nabours3‌ why unwrapped? I've never heard of that before... Unless the items are being do donated. I'm assuming it's to save time. I find the diaper thing gift grabby too. I would buy the smallest box a could get.

I asked people to bring a book instead of a card to my sisters shower but I didn't feel like that was gift grabby. I thought it was a nice collection for LO to have when they got older.

You are asking people to bring two gifts by asking them to bring a book instead of a card...that's gift grabby.

My mom asked for a book instead of card to be entered Into the raffle for my shower. We also specified that it could be new or used. Most people brought used books from their childhood with a sweet note written about what the book meant to them in it which was way more meaningful than any new book. Plus you can find a book for like $3 where a small package of diapers is like $10 so I think it's way less gift grabby.
  • Options
    I got off work early. These extra 4 hours are being spent making dinner. It's in the oven now. Showering and networking dogs. After dinner family movie night since kids don't have school tomorrow. After the kids go to bed it's adult time :)
  • Options
    My scooting/crawling child has made it abundantly clear today that I need to spend tomorrow cleaning. He looks like a little dirtball every time I pick him up.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

FTR, I think asking for two presents of any kind is gift grabby...this isn't a book vs. diaper thing with one being better. I'm so glad this is not the norm in my area.

I guess I just see it differently because it totally is the norm where I'm from. Every shower I've ever been to has been like that. Books/diapers/wipes for a raffle. I thought it was the norm everywhere but I guess not!

• Options
    My Sil threw my shower for mason put something along the lines of we will also have a basket if you would like to bring a book to start our little scholar off on the right foot. The whole shower was storybook themed. I didn't have a part in it and never even thought twice about it until now. But I can see how it is could seem gift grabby.
    See I love the idea of a book collection, so for my SIL I bought a bunch of Golden books and left them in a basket with a bunch of sharpies and asked people to sign them as the guest book. She loved reading them to our nephew and reading the little messages along the way. 
  • Options
    74dragonfly74dragonfly member
    edited August 2014
    I baked cookies today. They had over 1, 000 4.5 star reviews in all receipes. They were oatmeal chocolate chip peanut butter. They are ok but nothing great. I'm so sad. I never bake. They only substitution I made was milk chocolate giradeli chips vs semi sweet. Now I have all these cookies I don't like. :(

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ugoglencocougoglencoco member
    edited August 2014

I baked cookies today. They had over 1, 000 4.5 star reviews in all receipes. They were oatmeal chocolate chip peanut butter. They are ok but nothing great. I'm so sad. I never bake. They only substitution I made was milk chocolate giradeli chips vs semi sweet. Now I have all these cookies I don't like. :(

It was the chips! I've substituted those same exact ones before in a peanut butter chocolate chip cookie and Didn't like the way they came out. Weird, I know but it was a recipe I make all the time and I decided to do it different just once because I had those lying around and needed to use them. The next time when I used semi sweet like always, they were great!

Eta- it's because of the sugar content and the powdered milk in the milk chocolate. It melts much easier and changes the texture of the cookie completely.
  • Options
    It was the chips! I've substituted those same exact ones before in a peanut butter chocolate chip cookie and Didn't like the way they came out. Weird, I know but it was a recipe I make all the time and I decided to do it different just once because I had those lying around and needed to use them. The next time when I used semi sweet like always, they were great! Eta- it's because of the sugar content and the powdered milk in the milk chocolate. It melts much easier and changes the texture of the cookie completely.
    Oh. thanks you for the explantion. it just stinks when you go through trouble to make something and it is a fail.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @Nabours3‌ don't let it bother you. Some kids are just moving faster. And to be honest, I wish Kahlan would slow down and stop climbing.

My kid is seriously being a butt lately. She's been whiney and fussy for the past two days and today is showing no interest in solid foods. And is sleeping like crap. I think it's teething. But it's killing me.
  • Options
    Sorry, I really didn't mean to sound douchy. :( I would try to explain better what I was trying to say but now that I realize how bad I sounded before, I don't want to sound cunty now.
  • Options
    LtpugsLtpugs member
    edited February 2015
    Ltpugs said:
    @Nabours3‌ why unwrapped? I've never heard of that before... Unless the items are being do donated. I'm assuming it's to save time. I find the diaper thing gift grabby too. I would buy the smallest box a could get. I asked people to bring a book instead of a card to my sisters shower but I didn't feel like that was gift grabby. I thought it was a nice collection for LO to have when they got older.
    You are asking people to bring two gifts by asking them to bring a book instead of a card...that's gift grabby.
    Agreed. Cards are 99 cents. Books are 10dollars+. Extremely gift grabby.
    I guess I didn't think it was gift grabby because it's pretty much the norm around these parts. Also it may take some extra effort but it doesn't necessarily have to cost any $... A used book, a 99 cent book, or a $10 book it's doesn't matter. I also think there's a big difference between giving a child a memento to add to their collection and buying mommy and daddy (in nabours case wealthy parents) diapers to save them some money. I guess that's why I find one more gift grabby over the other.
  • Options
    A book given to a baby is not for their collection...
  • Options
    Perhaps hosts should just ask for donations for LO's college fund or 529, or sell raffle tickets with all proceeds going directly to the college fund. 

Whether you are buying a book, diapers, raffle tickets, a high chair, a onesie, whatever - it ultimately saves the parents money.  Books just sound more palatable because aww, education!  books are good!
    Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• Options
    And that .99 book is not going to be with them for their whole life...it's going to get ripped up, thrown away, etc. 
  • Options
    mcncheese said:

Ok so I remember someone else posting something similar... @ameegee‌ or maybe @sweett11??

DH can NOT get LO back to sleep lately. She only wants the boob. Even if she isn't hungry. Did this phase pass? Teeth? Night terrors?? Growth spurt (but seriously theses a GS every other week i feel like!!)?? I don't know why she only wants me. He has always been so good (and quick) with getting her back down. It's exhausting! Someone get DH some boobs pleaseeee!!

I may have mentioned this. But Kahlan still only wants the boob. She won't even let me rock her now. She arches and screams. It's awful right now but I think it's teething and new developments. DH barely wakes up now. I would say "lol" but I'm too tired.
  • Options

A book given to a baby is not for their collection...

I'm sorry... I'm confused... Then who is it for?
  • Options

I've only been to one baby shower that had a diaper raffle and found it annoying.  I got you a gift, you want diapers on top of that?  I don't think that many people actually participated in the raffle at that shower.

My spam.  I'm annoyed at myself because I forgot that the kids aren't going to daycare tomorrow and defrosted a bag of BM for baby's bottle (I've been sending a bottle of frozen along with the fresh to rotate my stash) and now I have to pump tomorrow for that feed.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"