January 2015 Moms

Nursery Colors and Themes - Chime In!

joujouwishjoujouwish member
edited August 2014 in January 2015 Moms
So I may have been a bit obsessed with buying nursery stuff/decor the past few days. I've been getting stuff from flash sale sites like Zulilly, Hautelook, OneKingsLane, and JossandMain. These flash sale sites are great but def put the pressure on to buy in time and I end up buying stuff in a jiffy instead of registering items- which is good and bad. One really cool thing I found today were rustic pendants- that I can't find anywhere else for less than $150 and I got one on there (that plugs in, so my rented apartment doesn't have to be rewired in a room with no ceiling light!) for only $65!! What a steal! So nursery stuff has been on the mind and I'd love to hear what your color schemes or themes will be! Love bouncing ideas off of each other.

I'll start and outlined some starting points for convos!

Colors: Grey, Bright Silver, Mint, White, Light Orange and Bright Yellow
Animal.Other Themes: Goats/Alpine (Think Backcountry.com meets Patagonia Park in Chile)
Design Kind: Modern? :P My goal is to get decor that the child can grow with and I won't have to replace in a few years. This kid will be utilizing this stuff until he leaves for college!
Favorite Purchase so Far: Obviously the rustic pendant that I will hang by a hook on the ceiling (& I will spray paint the pendant bright silver) purchased today with an on/off step switch on the extension chord so I can hands free turn it on or off while carrying a wriggling baby (I feel brilliant for figuring that one out!). This solves my overhead lighting problem and I am psyched.
Hoping to get this in the future from Registry or as a special gift that isn't a typical gift: 5' x 7.6' Rug
Crafts ProjectsI came across this needle felt goat tutorial today - perhaps I can figure out how to make them and then I can add them to make a mobile (similar to this or this with the orange, yellow, silver colors)...

Edit:

Wanted to mention a few more completed projects. I was looking for a side table for next to the glider for weeks and didn't find anything that struck my fancy for a decent price. Finally, I was in TJMaxx last week and saw this and saw beauty for only $40!! I like it except for the color.

I took it home and spray painted the outside silver and inside yellow, so you see hints of yellow through it!

Then I spray painted some old white shelves that were already in the room silver too:

And lastly, an old lamp that was in my basement with an ugly shade I spray painted and added a new lamp shade to it- looks brand new!

Re: Nursery Colors and Themes - Chime In!

• emmyg65 LOVE it!!! Sooo cute! What do you mean by "The arm chair rocking chair" - have a pic? I love decorating too and can't wait to see what everyone else has in mind!

Colors: Aqua, white, cream/tan

Animal.Other Themes: None

Design Kind: Modern I guess. We don't plan to be here long so we don't want to put a lot of work into it. The walls are already cream/tan with white trim.

Favorite Purchase so Far: So far we just have this area rug in blue (it's actually aqua) and sheer curtains in the same color. I haven't purchased it yet, but this will definitely be my favorite item: 

Hoping to get this in the future from Registry or as a special gift that isn't a typical gift: We plan to buy most of the nursery stuff, but I did register for aqua crib sheets and changing pad covers.

Crafts Projects? Probably not much. I was thinking about making a blanket (crochet) but I've never made anything larger than a scarf so I would probably screw it up. I might DIY some basket liners/ribbon for the storage bins we'll use on the changing table. Oh and after he's born I'll probably make a print with all of his details - name, birth day and time, size, etc.

******************************************** siggy warning ******************************************

image image

Married July 2011 * TTC #1 since 8/12 * Me: 29 DH: 29
    21 Cycles TI: BFNs
    DX: Stage 2 Endo, uterine polyps and paratubal cysts removed
    2/14: IVF #1 Lupron Protocol = 12R/10M/9F, no frosties; transferred one 3BB blast = BFN
    4/14: IVF #2 Antagonist Protocol = 18R/16M/15F/6 frosties; transferred one 4BB blast = BFP!!
    Beta #1 (5/12) = 232 Beta #2 (5/16) = 886 Beta #3 (5/20) = 3168
    EDD 1/18/15 It's a BOY 

~~~~~~ All Are Welcome ~~~~~~

• Loading the player...
  • Milagros315 love the Harry Potter quote poster. So cute and sounds like it will fit perfectly with the color scheme. I can't wait to see everyone's finished rooms!
  • Gender=unknown
    Colors= primary red, blue, green, yellow
    Theme= Dr. Seuss
    All bedding and curtains will be homemade, murals will be hand painted on one accent wall
    We will be reusing our big items from DD but I will be painting them in a Green Eggs and Ham Green

Here is one of my Pinterest pins, kinda gives an idea.
  • No theme. Just going with the gold/peach/mint/black/white color scheme in the picture. Will accent with gold/black/white frames and the picture on the bottom right.
    Stephanie Ella ~ 6/15/2012
  • Girl

Theme: We are going with a country chic theme if that's even a thing.
    Colors: pastels and navy
    I bought an antique dresser and an old headboard today that H is going to clean up. I have 4 antique pictures/frames and I just fell in love with this rug. I also found a ruffle eyelet crib skirt, pink gingham sheets and a beautiful crib quilt.

Hoping to get: that rug. I asked for it for Christmas. Also the glider. I wanted the pottery barn chair so bad but could not convince the husband to spend that much.

Projects: for sure a monogram or her name that will go above her crib. I may also do the curtains. I'm still working on some other projects.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Colors: Red&Yellow, Navy&Grey accents

Animal/Other Themes: Elephants/Dumbo

Design Kind: I just wanted to stay gender neutral and NOT pastels lol.

Favorite Purchase so Far: probably the Dumbo bunting banner I got on etsy made from pages in the little golden book series. OR the elephant photography we bought at a festival.

Hoping to get from the registry: I would really like the mobile that goes with the crib set we bought.

Craft projects: i made cushions (finished one the second is in the works lol) for the glider that my mom gave me (the one she was given by her mom when I was born).
  • Boy
    Reusing baby lion king from dd (team green with her)
    We have everything we need, except a glider. I'm trying to find a reasonably priced one that can be repurposed in another room in our house . But they are so expensive. I want an upholstered one, not wooden.
    BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Gender neutral underwater theme. Started with the bedding from Geenny and have been scouring pinterest, etsy and ebay since.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • ellasmama18ellasmama18 member
    edited August 2014
    Boy. Preppy/vintage. Navy and white with pops of color. imageimage

Colors: Orchid, greige, white, and yellow-orange.

theme: none

Design: Going for bolder colors and geometric patters.

Favorite purchase: fabric for curtains

registry: no registry, but we received a rocker recliner as a gift from my parents.

Pictures show a few of my color inspiration pics, the fabric I got for the curtains, and the rocker/recliner which was from Costco. I also plan to get a dresser from IKEA and we will hopefully be using my son's crib. We will be doing 3 walls of a gray color and an accent wall of the purple. I don't know what I'm going to do yet for the wall decoration behind the crib. I was thinking maybe a name or monogram, but name is still TBD.

Dec '12 & Jan '15
    I could hold you for a million years to make you feel my love.
  • We had a ratchet thrown in our plans and now I don't know when I'll have a nursery I can decorate. But, before that we were gonna do a Princess Zelda theme (from the video game series Zelda) for our little girl. Was gonna be pink, yellow, and lavender with white furniture. Had craft projects all set up for the mobile and lampshade and everything. Lol Was gonna be so awesome and geeky. We'll have it one day, though. She might just be a couple months old by then. :-)
  • @Robs Baby Girl‌ I'm doing Dr.Seuss theme as well! I'm going for some wall stickers, the themed laundry hamper and lamp plus a mobile but I don't want it too themey so I'm going to paint the walls grey, play with fun ceiling lighting like those drop down lights, and get a white dresser and crib, then add some rugs that have green or red chevrons on them. And as he gets older use the same colors but remove the dr Seuss items and just keep the wall decor and lots of air balloons, pics of different cities and planes and have it more of a 'travel' theme.
  • Any more updates on progress here, ladies? My nursery is sort of at a stand still until another a week or two- then some more projects will be completed!
  • I just ordered some bedding today. I decided to do a whale theme. Will do light blue walls, some navy and white striped sheets, whale crib skirt and quilt, probably a navy changing pad cover.
  • We're having a boy. I found this "enchanting forest" theme to be fitting because everyday we have deer eating in the field behind us. Often it's the family of deer with a baby and They come right up to our fence and are curious about us when we're on our porch. I found this website to be a neat "nursery in a bag" go-to place. Www.babysupermall.com
    FTM baby boy born Jan 2015
  • Our nursery is still a working progress but we painted the room green (wanted to keep the theme nuetral regardless of the sex of the baby) and my sister who's an artist is painting a mural (almost done and I'll attach a pic once completed). The furniture are espresso brown and the bedding and mural are monkey and jungle theme.
  • Gender: Baby girl Colors: Mint walls, coral, fry and gold Themes: Safari animals (maybe black and whites of baby animals) Design Kind: modern glam/ gold pulls on dresser, gold fixtures/pillows, chevron and clean modern furniture Favorite Purchase so Far: Not much yet, waiting til we are closer to moving in to the new house. I'll do the same crib that I did for DS, Oeuf Sparrow in white. It's so sturdy and I love the design. I'll also a glider in grey and look for a rug from urban outfitters. I did a rug from there with DS, they are inexpensive, easy to clean and cute! Aww hell, I'd better get moving. I guess I'll be ordering stuff for the rest of the day! Etsy, here I come!
    5 IUIs and an IVF
    It's all worth it for Baby Boy, born 9/30/13!
    What do you know, Baby Girl just popped up! Due 1/2/15
  • Just wanted to update as I rearranged the whole thing with my mom today and hung up pictures. It's about 85% finished.
    Colors: The walls will be white and we will do lots of grays, reds, blues, greens, browns as accents...
    Animal.Other Themes: Star Wars
    Design Kind: Still keeping it simple
    Favorite Purchase so Far: Hmm...haven't bought much but I designed my own closet organizers
    Hoping to get this in the future from Registry or as a special gift that isn't a typical gift: Our rocking chair/ottoman
    Crafts Projects? I am making my own paper mache death star. yup....

BabyFruit Ticker

• I really like this thread!  Love seeing what everyone is doing!

Colors: Royal Blue, Navy, Gray, White, with highlights of Red and Yellow
    Animal.Other Themes: Sailing (boats & anchors & compass rose)
    Design Kind: Classic & timeless - it will grow with him, could be an adult guest room with same decor (maybe down the road if he chooses something different when he gets older)
    Favorite Purchase so Far: Considering we haven't really bought really anything, our glider/recliner!  It's royal blue with swirlies - I LOVE it!  Maybe also the adorable compass rose dresser knobs that we got.
    Hoping to get this in the future from Registry or as a gift:  Everything! We've put everything on the registry that we'll want to get so we can get a completion discount on most things.
    Craft Projects:  We painted the dresser & an end table dark gray and are changing the knobs to compass rose knobs.  I'm sure there will be more for the walls - I am an amateur graphic designer so I love to create prints and such, and my Mom is SUPER crafty and has gone nuts.

Rug that we want (my Mom wants more colors, but I like this one)

Lamp we want or will make something similar

Knobs for the dresser

This fabric for drapes & pillow for rocker (it has a subtle compass rose background in light gray)

imageimage

Potential secondary fabrics

************************SIGGY WARNING***********************

Me: 29      DH:  32
    Off birth control March 2012 - Actively trying Sept 2012-April 2014
    Unexplained Infertility
    BFP on May 5th after Follistim & IUI #3
    Ryan Henry - born 1/10/15, 7 lb 5 oz, 20 1/4 inches

NTNP for a sibling starting March 2015
    Waiting on cycle to resume while EBF

imageimage

• @southernyankeegirl‌ First of all, I LOVE all the pics, that is so cute! Second, have you seen all of Carter's nautical prints lately? Soooo cute!
  • Gender: boy, but the room theme would have been Under the Sea regardless of boy or girlColors: blue, green, yellow and grey Animal.Other Themes: Under the Sea (whales, fishies, turtles, etc.)Design Kind: Neutral furniture that will last for years with some cute baby beddingFavorite Purchase so Far: The most adorable whale/fish themed baby blanket from TargetHoping to get this in the future from Registry or as a special gift that isn't a typical gift: A gliderCrafts Projects? Curtains and accent pillows perhaps.  I also make cute little fabric pouches so I'll probably make accessories for the diaper bag.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Colors: Navy, Gray, White, with pops of color.
    Animal.Other Themes: Nothing specific. I've got a few different ideas running around in my head and every time I think I've narrowed it down, I get a new one. 
    Design Kind: Modern
    Favorite Purchase so Far: Haven't bought anything yet except the paint.
    Hoping to get this in the future from Registry or as a gift: A lot of the big items.
    Craft Projects: So far I've made a letter map. I got a wooden letter from Michael's and decoupaged a map of SO's hometown to it. I then placed it in a frame. I've got more ideas of things I want to do, but this was the first one I've completed.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"