January 2015 Moms
Options

Sleeping Position

I need your sleep position advice! I've been sleeping on my side, and wake up numerous time a night with horrible thigh pain or charley horses in my calves. I know it's not ok to sleep flat on my back, but is it ok to sleep propped up with several pillows and recline on my back? I hope you all are sleeping well!!

Re: Sleeping Position

• Options
    I'm almost 23 weeks and still sleeping on my back. Its totally ok if you are comfortable that way. If I do sleep on my side I use a pillow between my legs and that helps to make it more comfortable.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I will lay mostly on my back but kinda propped sideways just a little. I get short of breath and a pounding headache if I lay flat on my back.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I try to lay on my side, but end up on my back or almost my belly a lot. I use a plain body pillow ($9.99 at Meijer and I had a $10 off total purchase coupon so FREE) so when I end up not on my side I prop a hip and shoulder on it so I am tipped to the side.
  • Options
    My midwife did say sleeping on your back can cause baby to press down on your major artery near your spine and slow blood flow, but when that happens you get dizzy and can't breathe so it's pretty obvious and you just move... I found it reassuring that as long as I feel fine, sleeping on my back isn't hurting me or baby
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I usually fall asleep on my side with a pillow between my knees, but wake up on my back. If you can find a way to get comfortable and rest during pregnancy, do it! :)
  • Options
    I sleep on my side/side stomach and generally wake up on one side. It hasn't happened yet this pregnancy but I used to get awful cramps in my calves. So painful.
    BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    LaBellaVidaLaBellaVida member
    edited August 2014
    I sleep any way I'm comfortable. Up until recently I was on my belly still.

• Options
    I've always slept on my side, but for some reason when I'm pregnant, I roll to my back and end up waking up many times throughout the night because it's uncomfortable.
  • Options
    I was a side sleeper before pregnancy, so that hasn't really been a transition for me. I do still sleep on my back occasionally to relieve the hip pressure. 

Recently, though, my hips really were hurting when I woke up. I just put a regular bed pillow between my legs, and it has been a total change. Much more comfortable. I am cheap, so I wanted to try a pillow we had around the house before investing in a snoogle or any other specialty pillows. So far, so good!
  • Options
    I'm able to sleep on my side comfortably.  I just cannot bring myself to sleep on my back because I get terrible sleep paralysis every single time I do.  But my doc says it's perfectly fine to sleep on your back.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I go to sleep on my side (with a pregnancy pillow between my legs) and still end up on my back. For now it's still comfortable so I'm sticking with it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"