January 2015 Moms

Bottles

We are trying to decide which bottles to use. I'm totally in need of advice! We've heard good things about Dr. Brown's and Medela. Anyone have good experiences with those? Or bad?! Or if you love another brand, we are open to that too!

Re: Bottles

• "EVERYONE" in my family recommends the Dr.Browns.

I also know lots of girls at work that use the medelas and they work just fine for them.

Biggest suggestion is just register for several brands and let baby decide which he/she likes.
  • DD loved nuk, was OK with Playtex, didn't like medela. Take that with a grain of salt because DD would very rarely take a bottle, she just love the boob. But as pp have mentioned its best to start with a variety and let baby decide before committing to one brand. All babies are different and what works great for one might not necessarily be good for another. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I've used Avent for all my kids.. Will continue for this one! I love them... Well, I loathe bottles in general but if I have to choose, Avent worked for us! Lol!
  • Our son was ebf, so he only got bottles when I was gone. First he used breastflow bottles, which worked very well for my husband, but when grandmas were babysitting it was a disaster. None of them bf (well the one of the four who did never babysat), and none of them were comfortable pushing the nipple far enough into his mouth to get a good 'latch' so he dribbled a lot. We switched to Dr. Brown's, and I will say they were a pain to clean.

I plan on using Medela this time, as insurance is getting me a medela pump. The nipples look like a good combo of traditional and more breastlike, and I hear they are very bemreasrfeeding friendly. If they don't work out, I plan to try tommee tippee.
  • Both DD and DS loved the Nuk bottles.
  • I had Dr Brown with my daughter. She hated them, I hated them. They were a hassle to wash and my ex couldn't put them back together without causing leaks. The only other kind I had at the time was a cheap basic brand (don't even remember which one) and she loved them.

I plan on getting a few different ones for this baby. I plan on breastfeeding but I do have to go back to work pretty early after birth so I'll be pumping for whoever is babysitting

• We used dr browns bc it was the first I switched to when I stopped bf my DD and she wouldn't take any others. While I feel like they are great for preventing colic and gas, I hated cleaning them like some of the others mentioned. If this baby doesn't take to nursing I will try to select a bottle with less parts to clean.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Every baby is different so like PPs have said get one of a few different brands. DDs both loved Avent and DS liked Tommee Tippee, that being said they weren't extremely picky about it. 
  • Everyone has covered the 'every baby is different' angle. If you plan on giving baby a pacifier, it applies to that also -- pick up one or two of a couple different brands. MAM paci's are pretty good in my experience, and the gum drops are good.

I had Dr Browns and they were ok. Too much hassle cleaning IMO. We also had Avent baby bottles, which were easier to clean but still had a spare part. I like the Tommee Tippee because there are no extra parts, just a nipple, bottle, and fastener. Playtex Ventaire is also awesome.
  • I plan to BF but registered for some bottles in case I need some (and for H to use once I establish feeding, hopefully- I'd like to pump some).  But I did avent and Dr Browns. Based upon friend recommendations and reviews.  I know all babies are different, though, and neither may work. Just like so many baby products/things- what works for some, may not others!
    (Zoe Claire- born at 33.6 weeks- November 19, '14 - 5lbs 15oz)
  • We love tommee tippee!! And the shape is very similar to a breast so if you are also breastfeeding that's another good point! Also they have a hour glass shape alittle so it's easy for baby's to grasp! My daughter just loves them! I'm heard good things about doctor browns except people seem to hate how many pieces they have and it can get annoying to clean.. Tommee tippee bottles the regular kind just have three pieces which is nice.. My daughter is 1 and still loves them.. In this pic she is holding the smaller size bottle ;)
  • Nora liked the Playtex drop-ins. There was one other smaller bottle that she liked, too, but I can't remember now what it was...

We'll start with Playtex and go from there.
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Avent is awesome! My first son took to the dr. Browns and Medela and those were great, but cleaning the dr. Browns was a pain.

• We used born free. No complaints
  • We tried medela, born free and avent and failed with all three. Then finally a lightbulb went off and realized he used a Nuk binky, and Nuk nipples were the same shape. So that Nuk was the winner for us.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We just registered for bottles yesterday and decided to go with Evenflo, which are basically the cheapest BRU carries.  $5.99 for 3 bottles.  I don't know anything about bottles, I just wanted something that would be easy to clean, BPA free, lightweight, and vented to "keep air of out baby's tummy".  They seem to have decent enough reviews on amazon, so hopefully they'll work for us.

I was originally leaning toward Avent, but when my husband asked why they were better, I had no answer, so we went cheap. 
  • Tommee Tippee! You can switch the nipples out for different flow speeds. They're the only bottles that lasted well for us!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • UberBizUberBiz member
    edited September 2014
    I used the playtex drop in system with my daughter, and for my son he was fine with the $1 gerber or walmart bottles. I'm always surprised at how many babies seem to be "picky" about the bottles they use. I don't know why. I would say start cheap and work your way up if it doesn't work out.

ETA: Both my babes were also breastfed, and neither had issues going back and forth from breast to bottle.
    OMG too many tickers...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I wanted to avoid plastic so we used Evenflo glass bottles. They're really inexpensive and dishwasher safe. It's not understood exactly how plastics degrade in contact with all the solvents and rinse aids in the dishwasher.
  • We don't have a dishwasher, so Dr. Brown's is out for us. Has anyone tried Comotomo? They have great reviews. I think I will buy a few of those in addition to the Medela bottles that came with my breast pump. I'd also like to get a few of the Medela Calma nipples, as they're supposed to work well for breastfeeders.

• My son didn't like the calma nipples. They also have a lot of parts to wash.

Along the low-to-no-washing line, we liked the disposable liner route. Loved Avent but could never find the right liner size so we ended up going with the Playtex line.
  • @shannjohnston Ohh! Didn't realize that about the Calma. They're also pretty pricey. Maybe I'll just avoid that. Disposable liners might be the way to go for us, since we'll have twins with a tiny kitchen and no dishwasher (we live in South America, where dishwashers are unheard of. Lord help us.)

• It's really hard to know which bottle your baby will prefer, might want to get a couple to try out... we tried out several, and ended up doing best with the NUK ones.

Cat leg goes crazy and beats itself in the face

image  image
  • We used Dr Brown's and Dr Weil's. DS didn't like the Weil ones. The Dr Brown's are a pain to wash. I would just dump all of the little parts into a bowl of soapy water and wash everything by hand. My LO had acid reflux with projectile vomiting. At the time, this was the best choice for us.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I've used Born Free for both previous boys and they liked them. We've also had some luck with Avent. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Proud Mom to the ZooCrew - Jack 3 years old and Joey 21 months. 
    Excited and delighted to welcome the 3rd member of the ZooCrew in 2015! We can't wait to meet you Matthew Henry!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"