2nd Trimester

Probably TMI but you've been warned...

Of course I end up with a yeast infection on a three day freaking weekend.  Of. Course.

And of course the on-call doctor won't call in a prescription for me.  I'm 30 years old, I don't get them often but I don't need MD after my name to diagnose a freaking yeast infection.

Can anyone recommend a baby safe OTC product or home remedy to help me out until Tuesday?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Probably TMI but you've been warned...

• I don't really have any advice, but if you do end up drinking cranberry juice to help, try and limit the amount. Too much sugar can make it worse.

I think eating (plain) yogurt is supposed to help prevent them, but I'm not sure if it will help after you already have one?

I'm sorry that really sucks. I hope someone else has better advice, and you can get some relief!
  • I can tell you what -not- to use.

Monistat 1 is THE DEVIL. The concentration of the meds it's got in it is so high, that it ends up feeling like your crotch is on fire, the one time I used it, it was HORRIBLE. You can log onto Amazon and read similar reviews, many women had the same unfortunate experience with it. 

AZO yeast is a natural supplement thing, you can pick it up at Safeway or a pharmacy, you can take it either to prevent or to ease symptoms. Being the mature woman that I am, the last time I had a yeast infection over a year ago, I took like, 4-6 pills at once >.> symptoms subsided pretty quickly, again, because of my maturity, I repeated the process the next dose, long story cut short - 3 days later, and one dose of Monistat 7 mid-way, I was good as new.

I don't recommend doing what I did, as I'm not sure whether it could have repercussions, nor would I do it if pregnant, but at the time, nothing bad/serious happened aside from nipping the infection in the bud, it seems. 

Sorry you're stuck with the crap this weekend, hope something works for you! 

TTC #2

Cycle 1:   (January/February)                            Cycle 2:  (February/March)

O - CD17                                                     O - CD15
    IB @ 11dpo                                                            11dpo-13dpo spotting
    BFP @ 12dpo (late pm)                         AF CD28 (late 13dpo)                     
    13dpo = positive fading all day
    14dpo beta = 7.2
    AF CD32 - Confirmed Chemical Pregnancy

CYCLE 3 (March/April) 
    O - CD19 
    8DPO - Faint BFP on Wondfo
    9DPO - Neg. on FRER
    11 DPO - BFP FRER
    14 DPO - Beta 123
    17 DPO - 784, yay! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My OB recommended Monistat 7 for pregnant women.  The active ingredient is lower per does, at least from what I understand, but helps clear infections in pregnant women better.
    BFP#1 4/8/2012 DD born at 35 weeks on 11/10/12
    BFP#2 11/13, Ectopic diagnosed 12/6/13, Tube and Ectopic Removal 12/16/13 
    BFP#3 3/14, Natural M/C 3/18/14 
    BFP#4 4/18/14, heard heart beat (164) 5/14/14, EDD 12/25/14

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I had one earlier this pregnancy (2nd one in my life). My OB also said Monistat 7.
    DS1 - 6/07
    DS2 - 8/08
    DS3- 9/09
    DD1 - 11/11
    DD2 - 10/13
    DD3 - Csection Scheduled November 29th
  • My midwife have me a booklet of OTC meds that are safe to use. It covers yeast infections and says that Monistat, GyneLotromin, and anything ending in "azole" is safe to use. It also says DO NOT use Vagisil but doesn't give a reason.

Hope you feel better soon!
    imageimage
    Quinn was born at 34 weeks weighing in at 5lbs 8oz and 19in long
  • I had a bad reaction to the monistat 7. I swelled up and got itchy and blotches on my face. I never had reactions to medicines before being pregnant. Everyone is different just keep a watch on any weird symptoms.
  • I agree with the yogurt applied topically. I would also start eating a lot of it too! I had a horrible reaction to Monistat too. It felt like I poured acid in my vagina. It was awful. Hope you find relief. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Didn't mean to post and run, yesterday was a bit crazy cakes. I'll get some yogurt and just try to make do until Tuesday. Thanks a lot every body!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Have a warm bath and put a couple tablespoons of baking soda in the water. Sit in the tub for 10-15 min, twice a day. Helps balance the PH levels, helps with itchiness!
  • It's probably too late now, but cranberry juice will not help a yeast infection.  It's quite common for us pregnant gals to get a yeast infection because it's hard to keep dry in there when you're sweatier and hotter than normal.  :)  You can use Monistat from the drug store.  Get the regular 7 day treatment.  Do not get the medication that's set up for 3 or 5 days because the medicine will be stronger to knock it out faster but it's safer to use the 7 day for women who are expecting.  Hope you're getting better.  :)
  • Monistat 7 is good, if you aren't allergic. Monistat 1 is super-powerful, and not the best if you're pregnant.

Cranberry juice is for UTI's, which you don't have, so that won't do much except taste cranberry-ish. 

Hope you feel better soon.
    imageimage
  • CoCoMama8515CoCoMama8515 member
    edited September 2014
    My OBGYN said the same thing...since her office and my pharmacy are BSing on the Flagyl. SMH Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Yogurt on your vagina is supposto help according to my grandma (no idea how this came in up convo) until you can get medication...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"