November 2014 Moms

Eff you leg cramp! :( vent post

I am no stranger to a "Charlie horse," but at 5 AM this morning I was woken up with what I'm pretty sure is the worst one I've ever experience.

It's now 4pm and it's still painful! I can hardly walk on it. I've eaten a banana, been keeping hydrated, stretched, SO massaged, I took a warm Epsom salt bath, kept/keeping my extremely swollen feet propped up and a heating pad under the calf.

I wasn't feeling the baby be very active this morning, she's always been active first thing in the morning and it just worried me. My feet have been swollen but never THIS swollen and with the pain in my calf and not really being able to walk, I was really freaking worried.

This is my first pregnancy and I wasn't sure how normal this is so...
I call my OB's office and their office is open at 8 am (I've been to an appointment at 8am) but their phone lines don't open until 8:30! I finally get through and they don't have a triage nurse or MA to answer any questions. Instead I get transferred to my OB's assistants voicemail and three and a half hours later I get a phone call back. It's annoying because my OB always says if I ever feel like something's not right call the office. Well this is the first time I've called with any concern.

Thankfully my baby has been active since then and one side of my body isn't more swollen than the other. Nothing says welcome to your first day of the third trimester like shitty day and a cramp from hell! :(

Re: Eff you leg cramp! :( vent post

• SharSharxSharSharx member
    edited September 2014
  • I knew they came with the pregnancy territory but oh man this is not what I thought would be an all day thing! I felt like I was getting enough potassium in my diet but it appears I could be wrong.
  • Loading the player...
  • Tums are a well stocked item in our home SO uses them frequently. Thank you for sharing I will try this!
  • SharSharxSharSharx member
    edited September 2014
  • This only happens to me when I'm pregnant, but this time (my second preg) I'm even getting them in my feet! What the heck :(

& of course, I got on in my right foot while reading this. Darn it!! I'm going to have to try the calcium suggestion!!
  • I get leg cramps almost every night. What you are describing (due to the duration) could be a blood clot. Does it feel warm to the touch? Not trying to freak you out but leg cramps should not last hours on end. I'd call your dr. Back immediately if it's still bugging you. Also do not massage it. If it's a clot you don't want to dislodge it.

I immediately thought it could be a blood clot but it is not warm touch. The doctors office told me to keep monitoring the swelling. I had blood work done last week and asked if it could be a blood clot. Nurse told me if the swelling on one side becomes greater than the other I should go to the ER. I haven't had a weird spasm since this morning but the muscle feels so tense and sore. Heating pad helps a but when I walk on it's very uncomfortable.
  • Banana before bed has worked wonders for me!
  • You know, I saw this post yesterday and thought to myself, hey I haven't woken up with a leg cramp in a couple of weeks, sweet!  Guess who woke up twice last night with a cramp in both legs??  Son of a... so now both of my legs are sore.  I even had a banana yesterday afternoon and a sweet potato for dinner.  I'll try the Tums!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC since Sept 2011, Unexplained IF
    Oct 12 - Jan 14: 3 clomid/TI cycles, 2 hysteroscopies, 2 IUIs, 1 BFP (MMC @ 12w), 2 more IUIs
    Feb 14: Gonal-f + IUI #5 = BFP! (EDD 11/4/14)
    Baby boy arrived 11/13/14!

• Ok ladies- I feel the pain. I get these awful cramps in my BUTT and thigh and feet random times during the day or night! The ob said to stretch leg with toes pointed up every morning and night. Also, she said to eat more magnesium and potassium. So I do all these things and still get em...
  • I have gotten leg cramps with this pregnancy and my last. The only thing that seems to help is walking around the room immediately when it happens. Sometimes my affected leg will be sore for days after. I eat a banana practically every day with breakfast and pop tums like they're candy and still get them! Hang in there! At least we're in the final stretch!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"