Breastfeeding

Why does it hurt so much the first 6 weeks?

For me the first 6 weeks were torture, as far as my nipples being in so much pain!  After the 6 weeks were up it was totally fine,  it was as if my nipples had to get use to a baby breastfeeding. i asked so many other moms, and no one told me the experienced pain.  I new my baby was latching on right. She latched on immedately after birth, so that wasn't the issue.  Is this normal? I'm pregnant with my second and wondering if there is anything i can to help with the pain?

Re: Why does it hurt so much the first 6 weeks?

• im positive, had a lactation nurse and everything a few of them.
  • My boobs always hurt the first 6 weeks with all 3 of my kids. I think it's like anything. If you take up the uneven bars in gymnastics, you're going to develop painful callouses on your hands until they get used to it. I think some people have more sensitive skin, or their LO has a more aggressive sucking action, etc. I wouldn't suggest any old wives tales to help you prepare your breasts. I would just go into it knowing it does get better. GL!

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• Loading the player...
  • I had terrible pain with my first for almost 5 weeks with cracks and bleeding and finally mastitis!! So i exclusively pumped for another six months and the formula. With my second i was determined to BF so i asked for tips to all mums in my group and what worked for me was chanhing positions, silverette silver cups worn 24/7 and most important i tried to live it as a pleasure and not as i had to do it no matter what and it worked! I got the support of family and mum's friend that helped me have some time for myself, even just ten minutes for a walk around the block!
  • thank you, what are silverette silver cups? @knottie30597254

• i think its a sensitization issue - your nipples just get used to it but will hurt the first few weeks.  i remember the intense pain for about 3 weeks after LO birth

TTC#2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our little IVF miracle born 5/7/2014
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • They are 2 small cups made of silver that all italian mums wear 24/7 and they breastfeed for long time! They told me that silver is has natural healing and antiinflammatory properties and is a natural antibiotic/ antifungal so not only it helps with soreness ot also prevents infections and heals cracks that in my case with my first child were horrible! I was skeptik at first but because they are natural i thought to give it a try because with my first i tried everything else i found at the pharmacy! And they worked! And you can also send them back and grt a charm with the silver they are made of!
  • I had a pretty similar experience to you.  Everyone kept telling me if it hurt, we had a bad latch.  I had several LCs evaluate his latch & it was fine.  I think it just took 6-7 weeks for my body to get used to nursing.  I also had a few days to a week of soreness each time he got a new tooth.  Almost like his latch changed & my boobs had to get used to the new latch.  IDK if there really is anything you can do to prepare for nursing #2.  Other than having things like Soothies, lanolin or nipple cream, and hot/cold pads on hand to help.  That and just knowing more about what to expect this time.  Maybe you'll go into it thinking it will be bad & you'll be pleasantly surprised when it's not!

image imageimageimage

• I know, everyone talks about the delivery being painful, but no one tells you how much breastfeeding hurts. I am going to look into those silver cups Knottie30597254 was talking about. Maybe I can find them online before I have my next kid.
    TTC 12/2009 Me: 32 – Thyroid issues (on Levothroid)
    IUIs 1-3 with Clomid + Ovidrel + Gonal-F, BFNs
    12/11 went to a new RE and DH had another SA and was diagnosed with Varicoceles
    2/12 DH had Varicocele Repair
    BFP- expecting 08/19/13
    Daughter born 8/17/13
  • Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC 12/2009 Me: 32 – Thyroid issues (on Levothroid)
    IUIs 1-3 with Clomid + Ovidrel + Gonal-F, BFNs
    12/11 went to a new RE and DH had another SA and was diagnosed with Varicoceles
    2/12 DH had Varicocele Repair
    BFP- expecting 08/19/13
    Daughter born 8/17/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"