Breastfeeding

Mastitis - How long - Pain?

Good morning ladies,

I have had Mastitis for a couple weeks now.

I have been on antibiotics for a few days but the pain is still excruciating.

When do you typically start to feel better? Should I call the doctor and let her know I am still hurting?

TIA

Re: Mastitis - How long - Pain?

• the pain should subside within 24-72 hours of starting antibiotics. if you have any lumps from blocked ducts it might take a week before they're completely gone. if it's been more than a few days, i'd definitely call the doctor.

do you have shooting pains when you nurse, or any redness or flaking on your nipples? do you think it's possible you could also have thrush? i had both at the same time and it was brutal.
  • vvvvvfee said:

do you have shooting pains when you nurse, or any redness or flaking on your nipples? do you think it's possible you could also have thrush? i had both at the same time and it was brutal.
    This is EXACTLY what I have! Why wouldn't the doctor notice this when she looked at me :(
  • Loading the player...
  • i'd definitely call or go back and explain your additional symptoms to the doctor. you can get mastitis via the thrush- bacteria can get in where the skin is affected if you have little cuts or sores. when i had both i was on oral antibiotics and oral antifungals concurrently. 

i'd also try to take steps to treat the thrush at home-- take baths with a cupful of vinegar, and use a diluted vinegar rinse on your nipples after feedings. try to let things air out as much as possible. wash your bras in hot water with a cupful of vinegar. try to avoid refined carbohydrates and sugar. take a probiotic supplement. eat lots of yogurt and fermented foods. you can take advil for the pain. watch your LOs mouth for white patches- if he/she has thrush in his/her mouth, you'd want to treat that as well (pediatrician can prescribe antifungal liquid drops).

hope you feel better soon!
  • Hi! With my first i had 2 mastitis but the pain would decrease after 24/48 hours of starting antibiotics! Is NOT normal to have pain for so long! Try also to heal your nipples if they are still cracked for me Silverette worked like magic! Good luck! :D
  • Thank you ladies
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"