November 2014 Moms
Options

nbr How many hours per week do you work?

belmont1785belmont1785 member
edited August 2014 in November 2014 Moms
Struggling with the thought of working 50 hours a week (plus a one hour commute each way) and wanted to see what others work.

nbr How many hours per week do you work? 236 votes

40 hours or under (short commute 30 min or less)
38% 90 votes
40 hours or under (long commute 30 min or more)
16% 39 votes
more than 40 hours (short commute)
23% 55 votes
more than 40 hours (long commute)
12% 29 votes
none of the above... please explain
9% 23 votes

Re: nbr How many hours per week do you work?

• Options
    I work 40 hours a week and my commute is 45 minutes (one way)
  • Options
    I picked "more than 40 hours (short commute)".  I work from home so, no commute.  Because of this I am sure I work more than 40 hours, but when my husband is home, no working.  So it feels like 40.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    40 hours, Mon-Th (4 10s).  My commute is about 20 minutes in the am, 30 going home.

I don't think I'll be able to maintain this schedule when LO comes, at least night right away.  Will probably do 4 9s and then a half day on friday?

• Options
    I never work less than 40 hours per work, but there are times of the year that are busier so I'm required to put in OT. Luckily, my commute is only about 15 miles and takes me about 30 minutes. I keep wanting to look for a new job, but the closeness gets me every time!

• Options
    I chose none of the above because it really depends on the week and I haven't ever really kept track.

Technically, I am to report to school by 8:40 and I can leave at 3:20.  Most normal days, I'm in by 8 and I'll stay until 4:30.  Sometimes, it's different.  I usually go into school for an hour or two on Sunday to get ready for the week and I'll also bring work home two or three times a week.  The two weeks before report card time (four times a year), my workload is greatly increased, trying to get all of my marking done, my grades calculated and my comments written.  Then, there are parent-teacher conferences twice a year that I'm required to attend in the evening, a meet the teacher night in the fall, an incoming new student parent night in the spring, I'm required to chaperone at least one dance per year, awards night in the spring and graduation.  Plus, an extra curriculars I've signed up to mentor.
  • Options
    I work 40 hrs a week and my commute is anywhere from 1.5 to 1.75 hrs each way...not including those lovely train delays..
    ~Nov14 Moms November Siggy Challenge: CELEBRATION!! ~

Anniversary

• Options
    I work about 50 hours a week. I work in a residential treatment center for substance abuse, so I am required to work one weekend day. I also teach a driving under the influence class one day per week after my regular shift. My commute is exactly 7 minutes.
  • Options
    My typical week is 40 hours, but we have a busy period where it can be up to 50 hours.  But I get comp time, so I can take those extra hours off another time.  My commute would be just under 30 minutes, except that if you include the daycare stop, it's more like 45. 

• Options
    I work 17.5 hours a week as a salaried teacher so that doesn't count any work that I do at home.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    40 hrs with a 15-20 minute commute. Though sometimes I have to work extra. (And we don't get comp time or overtime. :( )
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    40 hrs with a 40-60 min commute. I used to work a lot longer thinking it would help my career but learned it doesn't matter.
    Bfp #1: 2/20/2014 Baby girl born on 11/3/2014
    Anniversary

nov 2014 

• Options
    I'm all over the place. On paper I work 40 hours a week, 5/8s ... but that is rarely the case. I split time between the office, WFH, and the field so my commute can be from walking downstairs to 1/2 hr to 4 hours to 12 hours or anywhere in between, just depending which site I visit or where a meeting is on a given day (or week).
    My job is task oriented as opposed to time oriented, so if it takes me three hours to finish up, fkn-A! If it takes me thirteen... oh, well. It usually balances out. Eventually. The long days can suck, but the overall flexibility makes up for it in the long run.
  • Options
    I'm struggling because I love my job. I work in asset protection for a major retailer. I have had this terribly crappy commute for 2 years. Really the only complaint I have about my job is commute and the fact that its 50 hours plus. Well DH's job just announced that they are moving his location to practically RIGHT next door to my work! We can finally move closer!!!! However, we had just decided after MONTHS of discussion that my in laws would do daycare for us. And they live only 6 blocks from where we live now. We cannot afford full time daycare near my work and the waiting lists here are long (as in before you get pregnant you secure daycare). I feel completely stuck. Ugh.
  • Options
    Full time in my field is 30 hours a week, but after baby I will be 12-15 hours a week with a 10 minute commute.
  • Options
    I probably work 40 - 50 hours a week and my commute is only about 30 mins... my confession is that since about a month after my BFP I have been taking a cab to and from work instead of catching the subway. It's more expensive but I really just can't deal with the subway when pregnant!!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers  image

• Options

40 hours a week generally with the odd extra couple hours thrown in there. My commute is 3-40 minutes one way.

The commute is a big reason I'm considering looking for a new job after mat leave. I feel like it's too far to be from LO, but we'll see. I may come back part time and then it wouldn't be so bad. Luckily I have a year to figure it out.

• Options
    kstirtonkstirton member
    edited August 2014
    I work M-F 7am-4pm w/ a 20 minute commute give or take. Could be better, could be worse. Def wouldn't like an hour + drive time to tack on to the already 8 hours I'm away ...

• Options
    I "officially" work 37.5 hours a week (HS teacher) with a 20 minute commute each way, but in reality it's closer to 60+ hours per week.  However, I just spent the past 2 years creating a new vocational education program from scratch, so writing curriculum and creating all the materials to go along with it (handouts, readings, lectures, labs, projects, quizzes, tests, etc.) takes A LOT of extra time.  This year I actually get to reteach my curriculum for the first time, so I anticipate a lot less time working at home.
    Baby girl N born 10/29/14!

**Follow your heart, but take your brain with you**

• Options
    @aragosta  - I was thinking the same thing! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I voted "more than 40 hours (long commute)"

I'm a teacher and even though the hours the kids are at school are 8:40-3:20, I'm always in the building by 7am and most days don't leave before 4. That doesn't count the extra meetings, committees, conferences, grading, lesson planning, etc that I do outside of my actual school day. I've told DH a million times that if I actually got paid for the hours I work, we'd be a lot better off financially!

My commute is 50 minutes in the morning and then anywhere from an hour to hour and a half on a typical afternoon. It's been as bad as 3 hours in the afternoon though during winter with the snow.

LO will be going to daycare near where I work, but I'm not looking forward to long, snowy car rides with her...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I answered other because it depends on the week. I currently work my normal job >40 hours a week with a long commute. I'm a professor but sometimes work offsite in a physicians office. If I'm at the doctor's office, my commute is around 30-40 minutes. Days I'm at the university it is at least an hour commute.

I also teach at the gym 1 hour per week.

I also work at a pharmacy approximately every other weekend.

I also teach in our weekend program at the university but this depends on the month the number of hours.
  • Options
    I work a lot. Minimum 50 hrs/week, 60 hours is average, but regularly work more than 60 hours. I work at least some on most weekends and work while on "vacation." I generally work from home on weekends though. My commute is about 20 minutes each way. My DH works the same amount as I do, lately he is working more than 60/ week, which sucks since lately ive been able to head home before 8pm, while he has been working past midnight.

This amount of work isn't really sustainable with a baby so we are thinking about what post-maternity leave will look like for us. I can go part-time and probably work around 40 hours/week. At least, that is my goal.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I picked SS as I am a SAHW until little one gets here, then a SAHM for about a year (possibly) and longer if I like it, if not I will go back to teaching.
  • Options
    I work approximately 50-55 hours a week during slow months, 60 hours a week during reset months, and 70-80 hours a week November and December (but not this year!).
  • Options
    SAHM. Before DS I was a teacher, so at least 40 (I also coached cheer, so games and practices were crazy)
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

• Options
    40 hours a week. 15 min commute. I work at 5 am and weekends though which is super draining.
    My prince

My princess

Name my baby!
  • Options
    My firm does a 9-80 work schedule so I work 44hrs one wk (9hrs M-Th, 8 hours Fri) then 36hrs the next wk (9hrs M-Th,off Fri).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I'm required to work 40 hours a week but during our busy season (Febish-Juneish) I have been putting in 50+ hours.  And my commute is about 4-6 minutes depending on how I hit the light.  I could walk to work if I didn't have such a bad back.
  • Options
    ElinJElinJ member
    edited August 2014
    I work 20-25 hours a week right now (but sometimes work 40 hours). My commute is >2 miles. Pretty fantastic.

When I had my first child I went back to work after 12 weeks, and right back into 40 hours a week. Same commute. I was SO THANKFUL for my short commute, because I hated working 40 hours a week. It was really hard to devote quality time to my son when I got home 1.5 hours before his bedtime. I felt guilty if we ate frozen food for dinner. And I was always exhausted from washing bottles, prepping pump bag, bottles, my lunch, etc etc for the next day. The morning grind 5x a week SUCKS as well.

I literally cannot imagine working 50 hours a week and having a child, I'd be miserable. Unless MAYBE, if I was making tons of money and had someone clean my house 2x a week and a healthy personal chef service that fully prepares your meals for the week and leaves them in your fridge <- this exists in my city. If every household worry was accounted for, I could maybe do it. But in reality that's never happening for me. So I'm stuck with all the household duties (my husband does a lot, but usually it's only whatever I ask him to do). However I am also not a morning person. AT ALL. So I'm not the type to get up at 5am everyday to get a bunch of household stuff done before my kid wakes up.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I was working a .59 health care schedule, so it was around 23hrs a weeks with a 15 minute commute.

However, my boss is an evil woman who thinks pregnancy is a disability and a condition you can't recover from!

So, the stress of her trying to get rid of me, slowed baby down, and my doc now has me off work on stress leave.

Now I am getting paid to stay home.
  • Options
    I picked SS: I work 8 hours a week, about 20-25 minutes away, and picking under 40 hours a week seemed misleading ;). I don't know how you women who work over 40 hrs do it! I don't think there is any job I could like doing in order to work that much.
  • Options
    I probably work 45-50 hours a week. Really just depends on how busy I am since I'm in sales. My commute is only about 10 min so it's really not so bad. I CAN work less if I feel like it too. I'm just a bit of a workaholic.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I work approximately 40+ hours/week with an hour commute each way. It really depends however, as I work in child welfare and everything is driven by crises.
    The paperwork is probably the biggest time drain. The emotional toll doesn't help either. My OB has mentioned stress leave, but things don't feel unmanageable to me. Explaining to other people though sometimes makes their eyes bug out.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    50 hour work week (and like a few oh you with no OT or comp time) gotta love being management!

35 min commute.
  • Options
    24 hours on site with a 25 minute commute. 8-16 hours from home
    Mom to Carter, Kendall, Kiersten and Baby O #4

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We also have thought of living somewhere in the middle @lissydee. Problem is it really wouldn't solve our problem because as it is now, we live in North metro, both of our jobs will be in South metro, so if we move to the middle we would still have to drive 20 min north to drop baby girl off, and then turn around and drive the 1 hour south to get to work.

I have been keeping my eyes out for a new job that would allow me to work less hours. As much as I love my job, I have been starting to get burnt out majorly. My company has recently made some major budget cuts, and while my job is safe, they've been piling on extra work because of it. I'm trying not to worry about it until I absolutely have to. But I am so jealous of all of you working 40 or less and short commute!!
  • Options
    more than 40hours very short commute. Been taking on ot for unpaid maternity leave:-) gotta save up for the holidays
  • Options
    @zengal-yup but I like being busy! Somehow (knock on wood!) it seems to work out, and DH has a much more predictable schedule. It honestly depends on the time of  the year how busy I am.
  • Options
    I answered other because it is highly variable depending on the time of the year. October and April are evil and I probably work ~70 hr./week during those months but June/July/August can be closer to ~35,

I have never lived more than 3 mi from where I worked and I have walked to work since 2003. I have found the walking to be a great stress relief for me and I am anxious about being able to continue that once the baby is here.

TTC #1 since 12/2010 DH: MFI, cancer survivor Me: Resected septate uterus, lap treated mild endo, tubes open, ovulate on own, autoimmune disease 3 Failed IUI's (2/2012, 4/2012, 6/2012) 
    IVF #1 August 2012. BFP! Beta #1 56.7 Beta #2 150 One baby, one heartbeat on 9/20/12! no h/b @7w6d. dandc @8w0d
    FET #1 December 2012, BFN
    FET #2 February 2013, no embies survived thaw
    IVF #2, BFP #2, Loss #2 March 2013, Scar tissue discovered, RPL testing,
    IVF #3, BFP #3, Loss #3 (twins) September 2013
    Hostile ute, moving onto Gestational Carrier!

GC/FET #1 of 1 5AA blast and 1 compacted blast, February 2014, BFP #4 on 3/1/2014!
    6w u/s 1 bean with h/b of 145 bpm, 8w u/s 187 bpm
    EDD 11/7/14. Please, please, please stick little one!

Praying unceasingly for a miracle. ALL welcome!

• Options
    I'm at 55hrs per wk on avg and occasional nights/wknds in addition. About a 25 min commute. Doctors don't have good hours. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"