October 2012 Moms
Options

Mirena

blondie42107blondie42107 member
edited August 2014 in October 2012 Moms
I haven't posted on here in a while. I got the Mirena IUD at the end of December last year (I had quit pumping in October and had my annual with my obgyn in November).

All has been fine until this week. Heavier than normal period and super crampy. I just kept thinking something wasn't right. Last night I felt for the strings and they are super low. I'm waiting for my obgyn office to open so I can hopefully be seen this morning.

This is more of a vent, I'm sorry. Has anyone else had this problem? Now I'm wondering if I should avoid getting another one. We are undecided about having a third child.

Re: Mirena

• Options
    I had problem after problem with Mirena. Awful experience. I bled the whole 5 months that I had it. Had strings trimmed twice but they said they couldn't trim any shorter or they wouldn't be able to get it out. My husband could feel them during sex and it was really uncomfortable for both of us. Pitchfork is a good comparison, as @BandEddie‌ has referred to it. 5 months with it in was too long.

I will never get another one.

I wonder if yours could have shifted? I don't know. I'm sure they'll check the placement.
    Logan Jack- 6.1.10 and Emmett Weston- 9.29.12 

• Options
    I know heavier than normal periods are a common side effect until your body "adjusts". But a lot of people shift to no periods on it, eventually. I would definitely have your doc check it to ensure it didn't move.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've had mine for 8 months now. I've pretty much had brown spotting to very light periods since getting it - and mostly its every 29 to 30 days. Normal cycle. I charted for about 4 years (before and after pregnancies, etc).

My H has never felt the strings. Heck if my cervix isn't low enough, half of the time I have a hard time finding them. Something is definitely not right because the strings are RIGHT there however I can't feel the IUD.

My OBGYN is on vacation and is in private practice. I have an appointment scheduled for Tuesday. I was told I should be fine to wait but could opt for primary MD or ER if needed. I haven't seen my primary in forever and I don't think he'd want to touch it. My coworker's sister is an ER nurse and both of them have Mirena IUDs. The RN told me I should be fine unless I'm in pain or soaking a pad every hour. My coworker's friend is a PA at a nearby OBGYN office and gave the same advice.

I'm pretty certain it's either dropped lower in my uterus, which explains why I can feel the strings so easily, or it's attempting an eviction of its own!

I feel like I'm bleeding quite a bit but I've barely had a normal period since getting the IUD. Overall I have really liked it... Until now

• Options
    Update: I forgot to come back and post. When I got in to see my OBGYN, she could see the tip of the plastic just outside my cervix. She advised that I not get another one at this time.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"