Breastfeeding

Anyone nursing a 2-2.5+ year old?

Did you ever think you'd still be nursing?  
Do you have an age in mind for weaning?

I can't believe I'm still nursing my 2.5yr old.  She actually weaned for 2 months and then started asking to nurse again.  I thought about weaning her now since she just started school, but I want her to be able to have some good antibodies for all of the crud that goes around at the beginning of the school year.  Then, it will be winter and I don't want to wean her during flu season.  Basically, it looks like we will keep nursing until she's over 3...which sounds so weird to me in theory.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Re: Anyone nursing a 2-2.5+ year old?

• My daughter will be 2 next week and she shows no signs of weaning. I didn't anticipate BFing this long, but it's like many parenting decisions in that I didn't know what would happen until it did! I'm not sure when we'll wean.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i'm still nursing my 2-year-old DS. my initial naive goal (i say naive because it was my goal while still pregnant) was 2 years. once i was actually BFing, i figured i'd go to 1 year at minimum, then see how it went. of course, it was so much easier when i didn't have to pump anymore that there was really no reason to quit!

i don't have an age in mind for weaning. we would like another child, sooner rather than later, though. i know some toddlers wean when mom gets pregnant again. i do feel a little guilty about another pregnancy cutting of DS before he's ready, although i am open to nursing while pregnant/tandem nursing. i seriously feel like DS would never just wean of his own accord.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm nursing a 2.5yo and am 14 weeks pregnant. No signs of stopping which is fine by me. It's just morning and night now and easy to skip sessions when she visits the grandparents. My OB said that if she were going to self wean due to pregnancy she would've already done it. So we will see how long it continues. I definitely think there's still benefits to her nursing so I have no plans to make her stop in the near future. I know my body will provide for the baby and my milk will change to colostrum toward the end of pregnancy. I don't have an issue with tandem nursing. So it'll be interesting to see where it all goes.
  • My DS is 29 mo and we're still nursing. I never thought I'd be nursing a 2-yr old but there's never been a reason to stop, so here we are. I have no plans ATM about weaning. I kind of take it day by day.
  • Yep, still nursing my almost 2 year old here too.  I never thought I would make it this far, but I'm glad we have.  I really think nursing him has had HUGE benefits to both of us well past age 1.  That being said, I'm at the point where if he decided to self wean tomorrow, I wouldn't be too sad about it.  I'd probably shed tears for a day or two and then do a happy dance that I get my body back.  I'm not going to force him to wean anytime soon either though. It's easier to keep nursing than to wean at this point I think. 

image imageimageimage

• My DS turns 3 in December and is still nursing 2x a day. I am tandem nursing him and my 6 month old DS2. I was always open to BFing to age 2, but wasn't sure we'd keep going this long. I hope to wean him by not long after his 3rd birthday, or before. I guess we'll see, I'm not even sure how to go about it at this point!
        image  image

• My oldest is 30 months and still nursing. (Tandem nursing 15 months.)
    Tied the knot 2007 | Baby #1 2012 | Baby #2 2013 | Baby #3 EDD 4/2015
  • DS is 30 months and we are still BF. A couple of months ago it seemed like he was barely getting any milk, and I hoped it was a sign he was weaning, but he picked up again. We're still at 3 times a day. 

I got a BFP recently, and I really don't want to be far along with a pregnancy and still BF. I don't know how I would keep up with the nutritional demands of both, not to mention it's going to get uncomfortable. I'm hoping there's truth to the stories that pregnancy changes BM and he'll self wean.
    Just an FYI, but my OB said that most children who self-wean due to changes to milk during pregnancy do so in the first few weeks. It's the hormonal changes in those weeks that affect the milk and cause the self-weaning. If you are not comfortable with tandem nursing your toddler and newborn, you should wean your toddler at least 3 mos before you deliver.

My 2.5yo is still going strong. I'm 15 weeks pregnant. I'm fine with tandem nursing so I have no plans to wean her.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"