Working Moms

Fitness ideas...

So I was curious if any of you take time to workout at home that own treadmills? I workout 3-4x a week at work gym or gym near home, but I am having a hard time always fitting it in , as DH works evenings and I can't send kids to gym daycare after school and daycare, they are tired. S I am thinking of biting the financial cost and getting a treadmill.....is it worth it? I love running amd it's my man cardio at the gym. What advice do you have with home gym equipment! Thanks
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Fitness ideas...

• We use our a lot. I find I use it more if we hold each other accountable. For example, "hey, I've got the dishes. You go run". Setting up a structured time to use it is key.

We found ours half off on Amazon w Prime shipping.
  • Figure out what features you use at the gym and what you dont need. Skipping features you don't even use will save money.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have been debating buying one too because I was having a really hard time fitting working out in.  Work just opened a small gym at the office where I work three days a week so I am holding off as I have been going there twice a week and the gym by my house one to two times but I am still thinking about having one at home.  I feel like I can do a lot more with a tredmill vs. an ellpitical because I like to do circuit type training and switch between fast running to a walk/job etc... The options out there are so overwhelming that I will more than likely pull the trigger LOL
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • If you are consistently using a treadmill at a gym, I think it can be a good investment. Usually you can get a decent one for about the cost of a years gym membership.  A lot of people by them and don't use them, but I think it generally people that don't exercise, and think that if they had it in their home they would.

We have one, DH uses it 1-2x a week during crappy weather. I use it 1-2x a year. Since he has to maintain a certain weight for work, it was probably a pretty decent investment. 

DD Nov 2010 ~ DS June 2012
  • I agree with pp that if you already use it at the gym, but don't have time to make it to the gym anymore, then it seems worth the investment.  I would just make sure that you can find time to actually use it at home.  I try to fit in work outs at home (mostly using DVD's like T25/P90X ect) but by the time my LO goes to bed I am way too tired.  And working out in the morning doesn't always work because I BF and depending how much she eats at night I am too full in the morning to work out.  So once the stars align, I get my workouts in. 
  • I have one and use it all the time.  It was a great investment for me and is a real sanity saver.  If you like to run, it is awesome to have a treadmill at home.  Ours is in our rec room downstairs so I get on it after the kids are in bed, watch some Netflix, and go.  It is awesome.

I also mix in some workout DVDs to get some variety, but I am on the treadmill 3-4x a week.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love having a treadmill at home. I've been doing a lot of outside walking in the nice weather, but it's nice to be able to go straight to the basement to exercise when it's cold or dark out, and I can still get my workout in when DH is away for work and I'm home with DD. I've never been a going to the gym person, but I'm good with routine and having my own treadmill is so freaking convenient that it works for me.

I got a middle of the road treadmill without many fancy features and it worked fine for me.

imageimageimage
  • We have one.  I used it consistently 3-4 times per week for a while during the winder.  I would hop on around 5:40am and run for about 30 mins.  I did get bored with it after a while, and turned more to 30-day shred type of circuit workouts for the 30 mins. 

But I've been awful about it lately.

Ditto PPs - if you love to run, get one, but to me it's soooo boring after a while.  I'd actually much prefer an elliptical (and so would my knees), but DH insisted on the treadmill (which he never uses).
  • I agree with the previous posters about finding one on craigslist. You can save yourself quite a bit of money that way. 
    My gym is right next to work, so I usually run a few miles on the treadmill 2-3 times per week on my lunch hour. Otherwise, I don't know when I'd fit a workout in minus the occasional run or hike I do on the weekends. If I did not have my gym close by, I would totally be looking for a treadmill on craigslist. Not sure where I'd fit it though :)
  • I have a few HIIT routines that I downloaded onto my phone.  They are specifically for the treadmill and the variations keep it from getting too boring.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"