August 2014 Moms
Options

C section advice for Sept Mamma!

Hi ladies! Visiting from September 14! My c section is scheduled for Sept 2nd due to baby being breeched. Any advice for me from those of you who currently experienced a c section? Thanks in advance and congrats on all of your babies!

Re: C section advice for Sept Mamma!

• Options
    I'm a week out from my c/s and I can completely corroborate staying on top of pain meds. I wake up in the night when I get off schedule.

Also, use a pad over the incision to keep it dry. This is really important if you get the belly flap after having the surgery.

Lastly, sleeping still sucks, but it gets better by the day. I can't sleep in any position other than on my back and getting up at any point is super hard. I sometimes have to wake DH to help me up. But like I said, is getting better daily.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I second wearing a pad to cover up the incision site. Also, do not, I repeat, DO NOT wear tight jeans. That will hurt like a mofo, yo. I wore yoga pants and sweat pants. I'm also 3 weeks pp.

imageimage

BabyFetus Ticker ETA: I'm on iPad/iPhone
  • Options
    I'm a FTM and had a c-section so I had no idea what to expect. I'm 2 weeks pp today!
    I had an anxiety attack that my epi wouldn't kick in before they started the c-section. Rest assured they make sure that you are completely numb before doing anything.
    I had a catheter for 14 hours after surgery. They help you to the bathroom the first few times to make sure you have your legs are working again.
    They push on your belly every couple hours to make sure your uterus is going down. It hurts but the meds help.
    Even while you are still on the epi meds try to move in your bed. My best friends mom called it the "wiggle" to help get you loosened up just a little before the meds wear off. Promise even just a little movement will help you get up and move a little better. Once you can walk even going back and forth to the bathroom is exercise, and do it often. Your bladder won't remember what full actually feels like Lol
    OH and shave the day before c-section. If you don't they do it for you with no shaving cream it might leave a rash if you have sensitive skin. I planned on doing this then my scheduled became an emergency and I didn't have time and Im still recovering from the razor burn!
    They gave me staples during the close up and took them out 72 hours later just before I left the hospital. Getting them taken out is no big deal and doesn't hurt. You have numb never endings and still have pain meds ;)
    I can say 2 weeks after I am off my pain meds, still sore and taking it easy. I have gone to the grocery store and the pedi today alone. The incision is not so bad its actually below my bikini line.
    It IS surgery remember that. :)
  • Options
    PS sorry so long and good luck!!!
  • Options
    Stay on top of your pain meds and take a stool softener, both before and after surgery. Also, be prepared for the gas pains, as, to me, they were the hardest part and I wasn't expecting them. Try to walk as soon as possible after surgery, but also remember to take it easy when you get home.

I'm 2 weeks postpartum and went off my pain meds two days ago. I'm now just taking ibuprofen when my incision site gets a bit too sore. I'm able to sit up on my own and go back and forth to the bathroom and around the house, but standing up for an extended period of time (like while taking a shower) is exhausting to me and always leads to increased bleeding/soreness. I guess it'll just take time, but now that the gas pains and constipation are behind me (knock on wood), the worst appears to be over.
    I'm being featured in a new pregnancy/motherhood blog during the month of October, so if you ever wanted to know more about my pregnancy, birth, and motherhood experiences than anyone ever should, check out my posts in the link below! :)

• Options
    5 days pp. take gas relief and stool softener every day, ask for both in the hospital if it isn't offered. And keep up with all of your pain meds as the rest of the ladies have said. I really haven't found recovery to be too terrible but I have been taking it relatively easy. Good luck!
                             imageimageimage
              Emma June 8/22/2014
  • Options
    13 days pp and my recovery has been easy. I was off prescription meds at 4 days pp but still take ibuprofen. Rest but don't stay stationary- I think my restlessness has made my recovery considerably easier than what others are feeling. Stool softeners are essential, and it wouldn't hurt you to continue the gas meds when you go home. Walk the halls in the hospital before you go home (a few times!) so you can see what you're dealing with before you go home.
  • Options
    Getting out of bed is the hardest part-just know that it gets easier EVERY time you do it. My DH literally pulled me up and helped me down into bed (and the toilet) at least 15 times... I moved a lot the first 2 days bc ha d to travel to the NICU to BF. Also, the greatest pain I felt pp was when I had to pee. I held it in too long while bfing. Don't hold it in. Urinate frequently!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Dog tickers Teacher 2007 * Wife 2011 * Proud A14 Momma * Seattle, WA
  • Options
    Get a belly bandit. They gave me something similar at the hospital after my c section, which was poorly made and not as comfy as the belly bandit.
  • Options
    Invest in some granny panties. My normal undies rubbed my incision so I had to send DH out to fetch some. Also, be prepared to go home weighing the same as when you went in. They gave me A LOT of fluids.
  • Options

Invest in some granny panties. My normal undies rubbed my incision so I had to send DH out to fetch some. Also, be prepared to go home weighing the same as when you went in. They gave me A LOT of fluids.

This!! I had minimal swelling my entire pregnancy until after my c section when I could only fit into my flip flops!
  • Options
    I second the advice about peeing frequently. A full bladder places a lot of unnecessary pressure on your incision site. You'll feel much better if you go often!

Also, stock up on the mesh underpants the hospital gives you. Some people hate them, but I loved them and found they were much more comfortable than even the disposable underwear I had purchased for this exact purpose.
    I'm being featured in a new pregnancy/motherhood blog during the month of October, so if you ever wanted to know more about my pregnancy, birth, and motherhood experiences than anyone ever should, check out my posts in the link below! :)

• Options
    I had a c/s 9 days ago for the same reason. During the operation it sometimes felt as though it was hard to breathe- just remember you CAN breathe, take deep breaths, close your eyes. I was also REALLY shakey immediately after DD was delivered, while still on the operating table which made me scared to do skin-to-skin so my DH did it instead :) this was the first surgery I'd ever had, so the post op pain was new to me. As everyone else has said take your pain meds! I let my nurse know that I wanted them offered to me on schedule, not "as needed". A nice hot shower on day 2 at the hospital made me feel a lot better also. STOOL SOFTENERS are important too :)
    I also agree with PP who suggested figuring out where you'll sleep once you get home. It was way to hard to get in and out if our bed, so I set up on the couch with lots of support pillows.

I admit the first week was rough but today I feel pretty darn good. It gets better- remember millions of moms have gone through this and you can to!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Make sure you bring a pillow or boppy for the ride home. Having a pillow over your stomach to hold helps with the bumps and turns while in the car.And definitely take the stool softeners and laxative. Do it while in the hospital, don't wait until you get home.

IVF #1: 4-11-11= Transferred 1 beautiful blastocyst I named "Nugget"
    5 Snowbabies! Beta#1 4/21= BFP! 226; Beta#2 4/25= 944
    DS born 12/14/11

Baby #2 FET Nov/Dec 2013

12/13 Beta#1=BFP 349; 12/16 Beta#2=1,089. First ultrasound 12/26. DS#2 born 8/8/14
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
    ~~PAIF/SAIF Always Welcome~~

• Options
    If you start to feel nauseous during surgery ask them to put an alcohol square on the tip of your nose. Totally worked for me!

And ditto everyone else. You got great tips.

• Options
    I agree with much of the advice but would like to emphasize the stool softeners. I alternated my pain medications and that definitely kept the pain very manageable. Get up and walk around when you can but don't overdo the stairs at home. If I could do it over again, I would keep hospital visitors to immediate family only. I seriously got no rest in the hospital, and combined with baby blues that was pretty awful.
  • Options
    Definitely speak up if you start to feel nauseous, painful or short of breath.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    I am only 5 days pp and agree with everyone's comments about keeping up with pain meds and not being too sedentary. I too am a busybody so I'm doing very well getting around. My c/s was an emergency so I hadn't researched or prepared myself. During the surgery, you have to keep both arms out to the side crucifixion style and wear an oxygen mask. That really caused anxiety for me and I was very cold that my jaw started to hurt from my teeth chattering. The doctors and my DH keep talking to me to keep me calm which helped. Also, it only took about 5 min to deliver the baby but about 50 for them to sew me up. That felt like an eternity. DH didn't feel comfortable with skin to skin but he held DD and brought her close for me to focus on her while I was still in surgery. Good luck!
  • Options
    Get to loving the mesh panties they give you... Feels way better than fabric. Take all they give you. Ask to have your hands free and about skin to skin or just post - birth policies so you know what you're in for. I had a nurse at my head the whole time (w/ DH) telling me that everything in feeling is fine. She helped me focus and alleviated fear. If you don't get that, definitely request it. Good luck!
    TTC #1 since August 2011 w/ unexplained IF
    09/12-11/13: 3 TIs, 3 IUIs, ICSI/PGS IVF & 2 FETs
    08/14: Our little miracle has FINALLY arrived - 3 years after we started trying!
  • Options
    Thank you so much for all of the advice and stories you have shared! I am starting to feel better and my anxiety levels are going down! I am excited to meet my little one in a few short days! I learned a lot from all of your advice : )
  • Options
    Pain meds and stool softeners will be your new BFFs. Stay on your med schedule and ask for them when they are earliest allowed. Im 4 weeks post CS and still taking heavy ibuprofen. I am likely overdoing some activities during the day, but for the first few weeks, take IT EASY and ask for help! It will hurt to get moving shortly after surgery but the blood flow is so important to healing. Not only do you have to worry about YOU after surgery but your focus is obviously on baby and feeding, etc. I brought my Boppy to the hospital and I definitely could not have fed LO without it.

FYI I also had a freak out on the surgery table when my spinal was taking too long and I was feeling everything. I mean everything. They will not operate until you are numb. My blood pressure went sky high and they gave me meds and oxygen to bring it down which took about 30 seconds. I wore the mask the entire procedure. I laid on the table with hubby next to my head and told him this was the most comfortable I have ever felt :))))) (spread eagle, numb from the waist down… and I didn't care!) lol. You will be fine.
  • Options
    Lots of good stuff here... drugs... check.... something to help you poop without feeling like you are going to die... check.... warning about gas pain (take anti-gas stuff)... check.... granny panties... check... use the boppy for nursing and when you cough/laugh... check..... learn how to get out of bed without using your abs.... check. 
    Good luck! 
    "There is more to us than we know. Perhaps, if we are made to see it just once, for the rest of our lives we will be unwilling to settle for less." - Kurt Hahn, Founder of Outward Bound

• Options

If you start to feel nauseous during surgery ask them to put an alcohol square on the tip of your nose. Totally worked for me!

And ditto everyone else. You got great tips.

I completely forgot about this and I threw up a ton! I even got vomit in my eye. :-& Even worse, the nurse didn't wipe my mouth completely after the last episode so I had dried vom on my face in recovery that my husband has to clean up. ( my hands were strapped down for the surgery, and I was shaking so badly, I wouldn't have been able to clean up alone anyway.)
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    When you're in the moment, remind yourself that it only lasts about an hour and ten minutes. That helped me. Also, I mentally checked out. Like, when they told me they needed to take me back, I went outside my head as best I could. Overall, it sucks in the moment, but it really is discomfort (tugging and pulling) vs. pain while it's going on, and it's over really quickly compared to vaginal births. Good luck! You'll do great.
  • Options
    I wish I would've shaved my lady-bits (or had DH do it) before going in for surgery since it was awkward having a nurse do it for me

Also, I think someone mentioned it but I wanted to emphasize the belly compression band helps recovery a lot! My first c/s they gave it to me automatically but this time I had to ask for it

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Do not deny the pain meds. Don't. Stay on top of it. Stay active but don't wear yourself out. It's okay to feel frustrated with not being able to do more but you deserve to rest and should.
  • Options
    Is there a compression band in particular that people would recommend? I was going to purchase one before my surgery, but couldn't find one on amazon that had universally positive reviews. That being said, anecdotal experiences would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"