September 2012 Moms

Holocaust shirt?

Um, I look at this and see a sheriff's star. Am I not sensitive enough, or are people blowing this out of proportion?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Holocaust shirt?

• It def reminds me of the holocaust stuff I've seen.
  • I see how it can remind people of it, but when I see it I just thought of a sheriff badge.
                                     http://www.pinterest.com/kate2904/
  • Loading the player...
  • I can see similarities.  My mind probally would not have gone there without the article title though.

imageimage 

• harti09 said:
    My grandfather is a Holocaust survivor. At first glance, I definitely see the similarities. I wouldn't buy that for my kid. I think it's best that it was pulled.

I realize that wasn't the intent of the company. I don't think I'd charge headquarters over it, but yeah, I wouldn't purchase it. 

All of this!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Kissty said:
    I can see similarities.  My mind probally would not have gone there without the article title though.
    This is where I am. I don't think I would have thought it at all without the headline.

• I think it's a terrible shirt and while I'd like to think it wasn't on purpose I can't help but wonder if slyly it was. That shirt probably had to get approved through a lot of people before released to the market and I'm surprised they wouldn't have thought something about it beforehand.

This also is the same company that released handbags with swastikas on them...so there's that.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• hmp1hmp1 member
    I love Zara and believe it was a not thought through product. I only thought sheriff badge when I saw it. But regardless, the Star of David is a positive Jewish symbol. While the placement might be reminiscent of the German patches, I don't know any Jewish people ashamed to wear the Star of David. So even if this was made and marketed as a Star of David, I would see it as a be free to show your star or be supportive of the Jews if you are not. A take back the symbol thing, as we are clearly not living in Nazi Germany and get to choose what we wear. And a Nazi would not be caught dead in anything like this. But, yeah, sheriff's badge.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Yeah, I think Star of David on a solid color shirt, fine. Solid color shirt without the Start of David, fine. Stripes paired with the Star of David, not fine.

• hmp1hmp1 member
    edited August 2014
    cheeseandrice said: hmp1 said: I love Zara and believe it was a not thought through product. I only thought sheriff badge when I saw it. But regardless, the Star of David is a positive Jewish symbol. While the placement might be reminiscent of the German patches, I don't know any Jewish people ashamed to wear the Star of David. So even if this was made and marketed as a Star of David, I would see it as a be free to show your star or be supportive of the Jews if you are not. A take back the symbol thing, as we are clearly not living in Nazi Germany and get to choose what we wear. And a Nazi would not be caught dead in anything like this. But, yeah, sheriff's badge.image
    I'm not sure if you're that naive or being deliberately obtuse. So because we're not actively living in the Third Reich, it's impossible for something to reference the Holucost?
    Really? A Gold Star of David patched on a striped shirt? totally not way that could be taken negatively.
    and LOL at the company who used swastikas also being YEAH! TAKE BACK THE SYMBOL!

effing quote box
    I didn't say that it is impossible for something to represent the Holucost. I said I saw a sheriff badge, mainly because of the circles on top of each point, as the original question was phrased and that I believe Zara did not intend for this to be anything but a sheriff shirt. But think that even if a company did make such a shirt, it doesn't
    have to be seen as a hate move. I have zero problem with the shirt being removed from the shelves, never did I say they should have kept them. Obviously many people found it in poor taste and insensitive so they absolutely made the right decision.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Bluebird2318Bluebird2318 member
    edited August 2014
    I don't know if I would have made that connection without it being suggested to me first, but I can see it, and definitely get why it was removed. If it weren't for the stripes I don't think it would have been an issue though. The star itself looks more like a sheriff star than the Star of David. Like PP said, it does surprise me that no one caught it before it was manufactured...
    March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"