September 2012 Moms

Kids getting out of bed ?

So the inevitable has finally come and L is in a toddler bed. Telling her evey night she couldn't climb out stopped working  :((

She is staying in bed pretty well at night, but has anyone had success keeping them in bed in the morning? Since she can get out easily now, when she first wakes up she is getting up and going to the door, whereas before she would roll over and sleep for an extra hour.

Will this pass? Did anyone have success with a wake-up clock? Would she get it at this age?

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
Kid #2 - maybe???
Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
#11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh

Re: Kids getting out of bed ?

• DD stays in her bed (normally wakes on her own between 7&8) if she has a few books or her violet doll.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We have had no luck in this area. Maya moved to her toddler bed at 3 and, since then, she runs to our bed every morning as soon as she wakes up. She doesn't get up hideously early (around 6:30) so I haven't really tried anything to stop her. Even though I'd like later on the weekend, keeping with a daily routine works best for us and that's our weekday time, so it's unfortunately also our weekday time.

I don't think Ethan would understand the ok to wake clock. I guess there would be no harm in trying.
  • Loading the player...
  • We have had no luck in this area. Maya moved to her toddler bed at 3 and, since then, she runs to our bed every morning as soon as she wakes up. She doesn't get up hideously early (around 6:30) so I haven't really tried anything to stop her. Even though I'd like later on the weekend, keeping with a daily routine works best for us and that's our weekday time, so it's unfortunately also our weekday time. I don't think Ethan would understand the ok to wake clock. I guess there would be no harm in trying.
    Luckily, she can't open her door yet, though she nearly has it. I have child door knob covers, so those will go on when she figures it out. So she isn't coming into our room, but she is putting her mouth to the bottom of the door and yelling. 

For some unknown reason, my kid wakes up nearly an hour earlier on the weekends. If she oculd just maintain the status quo I would be thrilled...

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
  • M&M gets out of bed on her own. Occasionally she wakes up during the night and gets up on her own in the morning. We have the door knob cover on the inside of her door so she can't open it. She usually will knock on the door and call out to us when she's up and sometimes she will just start playing with her toys.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Considering DS still rises at the crack of dawn, I have no solutions. A wake-up clock didn't work for him. When he was younger, we gated his room so he wouldn't wander. But that only really works until PTing. And I think I'd have a hard time reasoning with DD at this age (crib for lyfe; I hope she has no ideas of climbing out anytime soon). Hopefully, she's just testing out her new-found ability to explore and will soon realize sleep is better than wandering in the morning.

• I have no suggestions on keeping her in bed, but as others have mentioned we have the child door knob cover on the inside of his door; which works well  We only have them three places in the house (inside his room, the basement door and the linen closet door as that is where I keep my medications) and he has not been able to open the door.  

Also, if there was something for her to play with would she stay in her room until you came for her?

my read shelf:
    Sara (smb+jab)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)  

BFP 8/23/11 natural m/c 9/7/11 @ 6w BFP 1/16/2012 C-section 9/16/2012 Health baby boy!
  • hmp1hmp1 member
    I just looked up when I bought James' OK to Wake clock. It was 3 months after his second birthday and he got it right away. But, he was still in his crib so it was used to say he couldn't call out for us until his bunny woke up. He still uses it today. It doesn't work all the time, as he was in my bed at 4am last night but for the most part he says "I stayed in bed until bunny woke up!" and then he gets a star on his good behavior chart for being a good sleeper.

This is the one he has.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• hmp1hmp1 member
    melody921 said:
    Considering DS still rises at the crack of dawn, I have no solutions. A wake-up clock didn't work for him. When he was younger, we gated his room so he wouldn't wander. But that only really works until PTing. And I think I'd have a hard time reasoning with DD at this age (crib for lyfe; I hope she has no ideas of climbing out anytime soon). Hopefully, she's just testing out her new-found ability to explore and will soon realize sleep is better than wandering in the morning.
    James is still locked in his room at night (childproof knob on the inside). It isn't an issue at all with PT. He never really goes to the bathroom in the middle of the night and the few times he has, he just calls out to us that he has to go potty.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• hmp1hmp1 member
    Leo is still in his crib, but he has a basket at the end with books and toys. He plays quietly every morning until I come get him, and after naps. Maybe make her a basket of things she can do if she wakes up before you come get her (or before the OK to Wake Clock says she can get up). 

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• We have had no luck in this area. Maya moved to her toddler bed at 3 and, since then, she runs to our bed every morning as soon as she wakes up. She doesn't get up hideously early (around 6:30) so I haven't really tried anything to stop her. Even though I'd like later on the weekend, keeping with a daily routine works best for us and that's our weekday time, so it's unfortunately also our weekday time. I don't think Ethan would understand the ok to wake clock. I guess there would be no harm in trying.
    Luckily, she can't open her door yet, though she nearly has it. I have child door knob covers, so those will go on when she figures it out. So she isn't coming into our room, but she is putting her mouth to the bottom of the door and yelling. 

For some unknown reason, my kid wakes up nearly an hour earlier on the weekends. If she oculd just maintain the status quo I would be thrilled...
    this made me LOL. 

Def MOTY advice here-- Jasper is still in his crib as of now, but has been getting up at 630 lately, which is when I'm in the middle of nursing Briar. He doesn't wake up nicely, but rather starts screaming bloody murder, so it's really lovely. For the past few weeks I've had H bring my iPad into Jasper's room before he goes to work. It keeps him busy while I finish up nursing and most times keeps him fairly quiet until I can get in there and get him. 

Does she have a toy or something like that that she doesn't get to play with much? Perhaps dropping it in her room while she sleeps so she can wake up and play for a bit?
  • DD doesn't have toys and books in her room, other than the lovies/stuffed animal/doll she sleeps with, so we let her get up and have free access to her room.  It honestly hasn't been an issue in the morning because DD2 wakes up before Sophia does, but it's a bigger issue for us at naptime.

Right now Sophia still has trouble opening the door, but when she can, we'll just put one of the babyproofing doorknob covers on her door.  She can play quietly in her room until the appropriate time to get up.  So far it works for us- I'm hoping it keeps working!
  • hmp1 said:
    melody921 said:
    Considering DS still rises at the crack of dawn, I have no solutions. A wake-up clock didn't work for him. When he was younger, we gated his room so he wouldn't wander. But that only really works until PTing. And I think I'd have a hard time reasoning with DD at this age (crib for lyfe; I hope she has no ideas of climbing out anytime soon). Hopefully, she's just testing out her new-found ability to explore and will soon realize sleep is better than wandering in the morning.
    James is still locked in his room at night (childproof knob on the inside). It isn't an issue at all with PT. He never really goes to the bathroom in the middle of the night and the few times he has, he just calls out to us that he has to go potty.
    We still do this with Brody as well.  When he has to go to the bathroom, he yells for us and we go get him.  It's never been a problem for PT'ing.

Like others said - are there things that will keep her occupied in her room so she can play quietly?  Brody is allowed books and stuffed animals in his room.  When he wakes up and doesn't have to go to the bathroom right away, he'll usually browse a book for a little bit.

And now I'm thinking about starting the wake-up clock earlier, because even though DS1 understood, he just stopped caring about the bunny after a few months.  Maybe if we start it earlier, it would become more of a habit.  When Brody stopped caring, we'd ask him if the bunny was awake?  He'd say "no, but the sun is!"

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• There is still a bunch of stuff in her room. Her bed is loaded with stuffeds and she has access to toys. Occupying her is not an issue, keeping her in her room is not an issue. It is getting her to stay in bed and sleep more. The crib was great when she didn't try to get out because she would just roll over and go back to sleep, now that she can easily get out, she is getting out. Once she is out of bed, there is no going back to sleep. 

I am just hanging on to threads here. I didn't want to pull the front off her bed, but DH did it while we were at Little Gym on Satuday after climbing out twice in the MOTN and again Sat morning.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
  • DS made the transition to a toddler bed a few weeks ago and is doing really well at it, except he too just hops out of bed whenever he wakes up. Since he's decided 5:30 AM is wake-up time, DH and I have been wracking our brains to figure out a solution. I don't want to lock him in his room in case he'd start feeling like it was a punishment, but I really don't think he'd understand a wake-up clock. I'm just crossing my fingers that it works itself out before baby #2 gets here in January. 
  • hmp1hmp1 member
    DS made the transition to a toddler bed a few weeks ago and is doing really well at it, except he too just hops out of bed whenever he wakes up. Since he's decided 5:30 AM is wake-up time, DH and I have been wracking our brains to figure out a solution. I don't want to lock him in his room in case he'd start feeling like it was a punishment, but I really don't think he'd understand a wake-up clock. I'm just crossing my fingers that it works itself out before baby #2 gets here in January. 
    This has never been a problem for us. We explain that he has to stay in bed until morning so he can stay healthy and grow. We have other doors with child locks on them and have told him it is to keep him safe so he makes the connection of the locks with safety not punishment. He also never got timeout in his room so his room was never used for punishment either.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• hmp1 said:
    DS made the transition to a toddler bed a few weeks ago and is doing really well at it, except he too just hops out of bed whenever he wakes up. Since he's decided 5:30 AM is wake-up time, DH and I have been wracking our brains to figure out a solution. I don't want to lock him in his room in case he'd start feeling like it was a punishment, but I really don't think he'd understand a wake-up clock. I'm just crossing my fingers that it works itself out before baby #2 gets here in January. 
    This has never been a problem for us. We explain that he has to stay in bed until morning so he can stay healthy and grow. We have other doors with child locks on them and have told him it is to keep him safe so he makes the connection of the locks with safety not punishment. He also never got timeout in his room so his room was never used for punishment either.
    Ditto to all of this.  I know others have used a baby gate instead of a lock, which again, I think the child generally associates with safety vs. punishment.  Just another suggestion.

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"