Baby Showers

Probably not having a shower...

And I'm okay with that. I'm pretty shy and a homebody. I was walking around BRU with a girl I work with and when I told her she said, "You aren't having one? Why? You have to have one!" Now, obviously, I know I don't have to, but here's my situation. DH and I have been on a tight budget since we got married, so we don't really go out or have couples we hang out with. We both have a few really good friends rather than a large group and we like it that way. My close girlfriends are spread out in different states, except one close one who is about 15 minutes from me.

My family is also in many different states. My mom and dad are close to me, but they don't get along and I know I couldn't have my stepmom at a shower with my mom. I've had 2 people offer to throw me a shower already and I'm only 9 weeks, so I feel very honored and would love to have one, but I have no one to invite. Lol I have read through this board and based on etiquette, none of my friends or family are appropriate to invite and I don't want to seem gift grabby by inviting people I don't hang out with on a regular basis to a shower. People keep saying, "You'll get a lot at your showers" assuming I'm having one. Would you just politely turn down offers as they come? Does it sound pathetic to explain I don't have people to invite? How would you handle this/what would you say?

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Probably not having a shower...

• If it makes you feel better, I don't even want a shower knowing the stupid family drama that will ensue.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks, ladies! I'll see what happens. I'm happy either way. I'm just excited to be having a baby. We fully expect to purchase everything, but will set up a registry, as a pp said, for completion discounts and in case anyone asks. Thanks for your thoughts!

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Like PP, my shower also only had 8 guests. It was awesome! My family is overseas and we were living in a new town at that time, so not too many people to invite. It was just girls from work and it was tons of fun, stress free, and I enjoyed it.
  • I would likely create a registery (for my own use) but if friends or family asked I would direct them towards it. Registeries often offer completion coupons for unpurchased items so this would be useful for your tight budget.
    This makes the most sense in your situation.  Even if no one asks you what you need/want for the baby, the completion coupons are fantastic.  I'm not having a shower for my second child but just for the coupons (and to keep track of the items I do need to buy for baby #2), I have a private registry.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Maybe instead of a big shower let someone host a baby brunch and invite the couple of people you feel comfortable with? Then it could be as small as you want it and could be fun and intimate. However, you could also go the way of the registry.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"