Trying to Get Pregnant

Experience with chemical pregnancy? *update in OP*

mamablue85mamablue85 member
edited August 2014 in Trying to Get Pregnant
Hi all, I just want to start by saying, if you've had a chemical pregnancy and it was traumatic or difficult, please don't read this post as it is not my intention to upset anyone. I think I may be experiencing a chemical pregnancy and as I've never had one before, I am looking for insight on the timing of positive hpt to loss. I tested positive with a FRER at 11dpo, one with SMU with a faint line and then at 12dpo with a still faint, but stronger line from previous morning. I showed DH first test, but not second. On dpo13 (today), DH asked me to take digital (guess he wanted to see the word pop up) and test read not pregnant. Thinking it was slightly odd but perhaps test was not as sensitive, I took another FRER and it was a BFN. I tested with another FRER, also BFN (this was SMU by the time I took the second test.) Needless to say, i am concerned. three negative tests after two positives seems like a chemical. I'm not spotting at all, and I wondered, if it is a chemical, when should I expect to bleed? Is it going to be more painful than a period? If you've taken the time to read this post, thank you -- and can offer some insight, even if it is anecdotal, I would appreciate it. Note: I'm going to wait until Saturday to test again (if I can) I have a long day tomorrow and I'm not sure I can handle seeing a BFN in the morning.

Update: Hi everyone, POAS this morning (8/23) and another BFN. So bummed. I'm CD 34, of 28-29 typical cycle (although i did O a day later than usual this month) No cramps or signs of AF even though she is a couple of days late... I'm sort of past the being sad phase, I just want to move past this and I don't feel like I can until AF shows up. I read (on the internet SOITMUSTBETRUE) that most women with chemical pg bleed around week 5, which would be 6 more days. I just hope she rears her ugly head before then. (never thought I would say that.)

All the responses on this board made me feel less alone and gave me some closure about what has happened this cycle. I will probably take a break from temping and TTC this cycle, as it's become psychologically draining for me, I think I need to focus on something else until I can get back to feeling positive about TTC. I probably won't post for a while, but I'll definitely be lurking. Best of luck to everyone.
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Re: Experience with chemical pregnancy? *update in OP*

• It may be bc it was SMU or it may be because you are in fact having a chemical. If it is the second, I am so sorry.
    During my CP my FRER would never get darker and I was never able to turn a digi. My bleeding started when my period was expected to start. Unfortunately time will tell what exactly is going on. Hugs for you during this limbo period.
    **May 2015 Siggy **imageFav Holiday Movie
    "Meet me in St. Louis"
    imageimageimage
    photo 8d082fa1-60bf-4c58-9505-dc8820557700.jpg
    Anniversary
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm so sorry for your loss. I had a chemical pregnancy earlier this year, but I didn't actually start bleeding for a few weeks after I found out. For me it was definitely more painful than a regular period, but everyone is different. Good luck! 

TTC since 7/13    
    BFP 1/19/14 | EDD 9/24/14 | MC 2/3/14 at 7 wks
    BFP 11/29/14 *Please be our Rainbow Baby!!*
  • Loading the player...
  • No experience, but I just wanted to send hugs your way.  ((hugs))

BabyFruit Ticker
  • With my CP I had my first positive at 11 DPO.  The tests got darker each day, even turned a digi positive, then after 14 DPO the tests were getting lighter.  I started bleeding at 4w4d (18 DPO).

My bleeding was heavier the first couple days and I had some periods of painful cramps.  My doctor advised me not to use tampons.

I'm not sure how long your normal LP is, but if you don't start bleeding within the next few days and tests are still negative, I would probably contact your doctor about your situation.
  • postablationpostablation member
    edited August 2014
    I'm so sorry you're going through this. I have no experience but I'm sending T&P your way.

Edit spelling
  • I also had a CP. I only got faint lines then I got negative ones. Then a couple weeks later I started bleeding also. I really hope it's just the test not as sensitive as the first ones you took!

• I'm sorry you are going through this.  I had a similar experience as the ladies here explained.  I got a positive test at 12dpo (Tuesday).  The lines got darker the next day and I got pregnant on a digital.  The following morning (Thursday) the line appeared lighter and lighter the day after.  Finally Saturday, the lines were super faint and the digital said not pregnant.  I started bleeding the following Tuesday at 4w4d and got a negative test that day.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1: 7/10/2012 .... DS Born: 2/26/2013
    TTC #2: 5/2014
    BFP #2: 7/8/2014 .... MC at 4w4d
    BFP #3: 9/14/2014...EDD 5/30/2015

Little Sister is on the way!
  • I had a cp too and the lines just never got very dark. I think I knew within a day or two it would be a cp, because the lines got stronger faster with my daughter. They were still there, but super light, when I started bleeding. For me it was a bit lighter than a regular period actually, and I didn't have cramps or any other symptoms.
  • I'm so sorry you're in limbo right now.

I had a CP at the beginning of the month. I turned FRERs at 12dpo, and a digi at 13dpo. At 17dpo I started spotting. At 18dpo I had light/medium bleeding, but could still turn a digi.

At 19dpo I had blood work done and it was positive, but my beta level was only 32 (should have been at least 1400).

That's just my experience. Best of luck to you.
  • thank you all for your support and for sharing your experiences with me. I've been pretty down, but it's a comfort to know I'm not alone. I'll keep you posted and who knows, maybe have good news to share in a few days. Thanks again.
  • I've never had a CP but know the feeling of being in limbo from both my MC's -- it fucking SUCKS. I'm sorry you're dealing with this & I'm hoping for the best. 
    Number One: Born 06.16.2009
    BFP: 01.17.2014 / MC 02.05.2014
    BFP: 03.08.2014 / MMC: 05.07.2014
    Dx: Gestational Trophoblastic Disease
    Currently on the bench. [Chart]

• I'm so sorry you're going through this.  I had a positive Wondfo and FRER 11 DPO, and a super squinter on the Wondfo at 12 DPO.  The lines kept getting lighter and lighter, and then by 14 DPO, AF came.  It was stronger than usual.  Hope this isn't the case for you :(

BabyFetus Ticker

imageimage
  • Hello
    I'm so sorry! I think I'm in the same boat... Last couple days I've had faint lines! Hope it's just the tests and you get nice dark pink lines. FX!
  • I am sorry that you are going through this stressful time. GL and I hope it is not a CP
    BabyFruit Ticker

image      image

• I've had 2 CPs.  One just shy of 6 weeks/less than a week after the positive test (I tested because I was late - it was under bad circumstances), one at 4 weeks and some change (period was two days late).  My period began before a negative with either.

I'm sorry you're going through this regardless.
    DS born 12/2012
    Little Squeaker due 6/2015
  • Hi, I am so sorry you are going through this. I just had a CP last cycle so I know how you must be feeling.  I had a real squinter test at 14DPO and it was a little more obvious at 16DPO. I got a definite line with a FRER on 17DPO. Then I tested at 21DPO and it was negative. Started bleeding at what would have been 5 weeks 1 day for me.  The really bad thing was I started having really bad headaches and feeling really nauseous after I started bleeding which lasted for 3 days. I did not have much cramping at all though.  I really hope that you turn a positive test when you test again.  It really sucks to go through this.  
    January Siggy Challenge: You had one job

Married on 9/24/2011

Parents to 2 furbabies: Nelly and Hurley

DS born 2/14/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks to everyone who took time to respond. The waiting in limbo is the worst. If it is a cp, I just hope af shows up sooner than later. 5-6 weeks would break my heart. (& I'm already pretty sad about it.)
  • I didn't know anything about chemical pregnancies until I started reading about them here. Now, I think I may have had one. A couple of months ago I was feeling really off and decided to take a pregnancy as I wasn't on birth control (not trying, but not avoiding)It was digital and it read "pregnant". I immediately took an ept and it was negative.

That was a couple of days before my period was due. I just attributed to a faulty test. My cramps that month were worse than usual. But my bleeding was pretty much normal.

Sorry you are going through this and sending you good wishes.

animated gifs photo: TGIF unnamed-1.gif
  • I don't know much about it, other than that I know it would be an enormous disappointment.  So sorry and hope better news comes soon for you.

image  image
  • So sorry you're dealing with this.  This just happened to me a couple days ago in a very similar way, so I know how anxious you must be feeling.  Also, like the advice I got from several ladies on this board, please know that IF it is a CP it was not because of anything you did (if it's going to happen, it's going to happen) and however you feel/the roller coaster of emotions you may experience are all normal.  Feel whatever you need t feel.  For me, my period was a couple days late and then the bleeding started.  It wasn't any heavier than my typical periods, but I had a lot of cramps.  Sending lots of dark line thoughts and prayers your way! 
    August 2015 Siggy - Favorite Mean Girl(s) - Cinderella's step sisters
  • Thanks to everyone who took time to respond. The waiting in limbo is the worst. If it is a cp, I just hope af shows up sooner than later. 5-6 weeks would break my heart. (& I'm already pretty sad about it.)
    That is how I felt too. But I started bleeding the day after I got my negative. It really sucked but was a relief to know for sure. I was (am) really sad too and time has definitely helped me. 
    January Siggy Challenge: You had one job

Married on 9/24/2011

Parents to 2 furbabies: Nelly and Hurley

DS born 2/14/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm so sorry you are going through this. ((Hugs))

With my CP I got a squinter at 13dpo and faint positives at 14dpo and 15dpo (all FRER). I tried a digital at 16dpo and it was negative. I started cramping and spotting that day. I called my doctor and they had me come in to draw my betas. The results came back negative (below 5 hcg). I continued to spot for a couple of days then started to bleed at 18dpo. My cramps were worse than normal and the bleeding was heavier than normal for the first few hours.

Me: 34; DH: 38; SD: 9
    TTC #1 since November 2013

BFP #1: 2/4/14--EDD 10/14/14--CP 2/8/14

BFP #2: 3/1/14--EDD 11/15/14--MMC at 12w6d (baby stopped developing at 11w4d)
    D&C 5/13/14; Retained Tissue Found: Cytotec 5/30/14; 2nd D&C 6/20/14

BFP #3: 12/13/14--EDD 8/27/15--MMC at 7 weeks (no fetal pole and measuring 1 1/2 weeks behind)--Cytotec 1/9/15

January 2015: Off to RE for RPL testing

Image and video hosting by TinyPicAugust 4

• My experience aligns with what has been shared, just my ts and ps for you.
  • I am so sorry you are going through this! Did you test again today?

With my CP I turned .88 walmart tests positive 2 days in a row, then a digi. But I was getting my betas monitored and they weren't rising at the rate they should. I think most digis say they turn positive when the HCG level is 50 or greater, according to my betas I turned it before then. 

If you want you can always call your Dr. to get your betas drawn. The Dr. probably wont even see you, you just go to the lab for the bloodwork and the nurse calls with the results. It is the best way to know if you levels are rising or falling before a CP is confirmed by your period. 
  • I'm so sorry you are going through this.  Thinking of you and hoping for good results.
    *DS born at 31 weeks due to pPROM- November 2010-our little miracle! 

*TFAS since May 2014 
    *Early miscarriage-Sept 2014

• I had a chemical pregnancy in March. I suspected I was pregnant because I had spotting around 6 DPO and never have before (I know, you're normal until you're not) - but that is what prompted me to start testing early. I got a very faint pos on a FRER at 11 DPO, then a very faint again at 12 DPO. But, I was still spotting (but it was brown), so I was concerned and called my OB. They did a blood draw and my beta at 12 DPO was just 11. They wanted me to come back at 14 DPO, but that morning I began cramping and bleeding (like a normal period). So, mine was really early at exactly 4 weeks. 

I'm so sorry you're going through this! If it is a CP, I hope you get your period ASAP - that is the only thing that made it tolerable for me, was there was little waiting time.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Me: 37 DH: 38 
    BFP #1 3/17/11 - DS born 12/4/11
    TFAS Dec 2013
    BFP #2 - 3/23/14 - CP 3/26/14
    BFP #3 - 8/20/14 - Natural Miscarriage 9/22/14
    BFP #4 - 1/28/15 - DS2 born 10/13/15
    Surprise BFP# 5 - 9/2/16 - Due 5/13/17

• I do not have any personal experience to speak of but, wanted to send positivity and hugs your way.
    "S15 January Siggy Challange - Happy Dance"
    Jimmy Fallon Dance

Married: 10/4/2013
    TTC Since September 2014
    BFP 11/30/2014 ~ EDD 8/13/2015 ~ CP 12/5/2014
    BFP #2 12/30/2014 ~ EDD 9/13/2015 Stick bean stick!
  • S/o CPs, I think I'm having my second in a row right now :(

IUD out in June, one cp in July. I just got a super light frer and wondfo yesterday afternoon on cd 35. I tested again with fmu this morning and it's a bit lighter. I feel like af is imminent.

I'm thinking we'll take next cycle off to let things regulate after the iud.
  • No experience, but I have every finger crossed that things work out just fine and you're reporting back happy news.
    "She had a lively, playful disposition, which delighted in anything ridiculous"
    - Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

• First, I'm so sorry that you're going through this. I hope you are taking care of yourself.

I had a CP in July. I took a wondfro 10dpo (Saturday) and got a squinter, same with 11dpo (wondfro and frer). Monday I had an invalid test,Tuesday another squinter- my lines never got darker. That last test day my beta was 7, Thursday it was down to 5. I started to bleed on Friday.
    Honestly, if I didn't know that I had been pregnant, I wouldn't have thought anything about it, other than that my LP was a couple days longer than normal. I suppose it was slightly heavier, but since my lap all my periods have been heavier. I had slightly more cramping, but maybe I just noticed it more?

Emotionally, I'm still dealing with it. I have issues of feeling like I shouldn't be so upset because other people have had worse (not just w/ loss, other aspects of life). I'm afraid other people qualify what loss is, that a CP doesn't count or something, luckily no one has said that to me. As so many wonderful bumpies told me, it's okay to take your time with this, to grieve a loss.

****Loss in Sig****
    3T Sig Challenge: New Year's Resolutions

"Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less."

Marie Curie

Married 2010, together since 2006. TTC for #1 since March 2012, actively charting since November 2013
    March 2014 - HSG left tube blocked, right tube partially blocked bilaterial partial obstruction; onward to the RE in April
    May 1, 2014 - Lap surgery and chromopertubation; Dr removed a bit of endo, but everything looks healthy & tubes are clear!
    May 2014- First medicated cycle, 2.5mg femara+TI; BFN
    June 2014- 2.5mg femara + hCG + IUI
    on 6/18= BFP on 6/28!; C/P on 7/3
    July 2014- 2.5mg femara + IUI #2 on 7/18. Starting progesterone 7/23, bfn
    August 2014- 2.5mg femara + hCG + IUI # 3 on 8/15. BFN
    Tx break
    IVF #1 -
    12/1 - TOT & SIS- RE found a polyp
    12/15 - Hysterscopic surgery to remove the polyp; additional polyps found and removed

12/29- Good baseline u/s, 12 antral follies
    12/30- Started stimming
    1/10 - ER: 17 retrieved, 14 fertilized!
      My Ovulation Chart - No data,  just meds
  • I don't have any advice to offer.  I'm sorry you are going through this.

• Sorry for your loss . We went through this last week . We had two positive HPT and starting spotting followed by heavy bleeding with clots . To the ED we went and HCG was low. Told to take a HPT again in a few days . This one said negative . It stinks . Reading post from others had helped.
  • I just saw your post and I am so sorry that you are going through this uncertainty. You are in my thoughts. Much love, gal.

Visit The Nest!image Visit The Nest!

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." - Eleanor Roosevelt

• bump for update
  • I am sorry for your loss.
    Me: 37                                               
    DH: 45
    BFP #1 3/19/14  EDD 11/29/14 MMC D&C 4/24/14
    BFP #2  12/4/14 Beta #1 218 at 12dpo Beta #2 1055 at 16dpo
    Saw heartbeat 12/29.  Please be a rainbow.
    imagerainbows

All welcome                                   

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I'm so sorry :( AF came for me 4 days later than it was supposed to after my CP.  Hope you have closure soon.

BabyFetus Ticker

imageimage
  • I'm so sorry for your loss. Take some time and please come back when you're ready.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Little O- 2/25/12
    BFP 2/28/14 MMC 14W2D D&C 5/07/14

• I'm sorry for your loss.
    Number One: Born 06.16.2009
    BFP: 01.17.2014 / MC 02.05.2014
    BFP: 03.08.2014 / MMC: 05.07.2014
    Dx: Gestational Trophoblastic Disease
    Currently on the bench. [Chart]

• Aww reading your update just breaks my heart for you. I'm sorry that you're going through this.
    The first day May 2007 <3  The yes day April 2012 <3 The best day Nov 2013

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"