Babies: 0 - 3 Months

baby blues and being a new mom

I had my first baby the beginning of this month. He is healthy and precious. Since I got home from the hospital I have felt lost and as if I can't do this. I am told this feeling goes away...and I am feeling better but I still have days I just want to cry! Any advice ? I find my problem is calming my baby when he cries - it breaks my heart to see him upset and I wish I could calm him down :-(

Re: baby blues and being a new mom

• I think baby blues are normal, and I hit a spell of them myself this week. Be on the lookout if that feeling persists for two weeks or longer or if you don't also have moments of joy along the way. Tell your doctor if that happens.

As for the crying, I just try to remind myself that it's baby's way of communicating. Try to hear it as "hey, mom, I need your help with something" rather that "wah! I am so sad!"

CafeMom Tickers

January PAL siggie challenge; Good advice:

• flclflcl member
    The beginning is really hard.  Just remember that these first couple of weeks/months are all about survival (not just baby's but yours too).  It's totally normal to feel the baby blues and it's also totally normal to be fumbling in the beginning trying to learn what it is that baby needs.  For the most part, most babies either want to sleep, be fed, changed or snuggled.  I found that my little guy was only content being held for the first month or so.  Just make sure that you're honest about your feelings at your upcoming doctor apps (OB and pedi).  Both offices were really on top of screening moms for PPD.  As crazy as it sounds, try to enjoy this time as much as you can... it'll be over in a flash!
  • Loading the player...
  • the advice i got was everytime baby cries go through the checklist: diaper, hungry, cuddle, burp. if none workits ok baby just needs to cry. that doesnt mean to let LO CIO just that you dont need to worry you're doing something wrong, i heard that NB 's crying helps to get rid of the mucous fromthe womb as well. the first couple of weeks are the hardest. you will get the hang of it and feel more confident as time goes by. especially once LO starts developing a routine. it keeps getting better and better. dont worry, youre doing your best and doing a great job. side note take unsolicited advice with a grain of salt, everyone has a different opinion on everything, :-) hang in there it gets better :-)
  • Thank you all so much ♡ I will hang in there, I know this will pass...just having a hard time seeing the big picture at this time. But this week has gone better than last week, so I have to focus on that. I appreciate that I can ask questions and vent on here:-) again, thanks u sooooooo much!
  • I found this article a while back and it really hit home with how I felt those first few months of motherhood. I think it was comforting to know I wasn't the only person with some of these feelings and that maybe it was normal! Here it is....

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5519562

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Wow, great article! Thank you for sharing♡ I will save it! Very comforting to know I'm not alone with this feeling! It's scary....but will get better I'm positive:-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"