3rd Trimester
Options

Mother in Law issue. Needing advice.

So my MIL and I are VERY different people. It's pretty hard for us to see eye to eye on much, and I feel like our values are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Throughout my ten years of dating/marriage to her son, I've shrugged a lot of things off, and just kept my mouth shut, but I have more worries these days because in ten short weeks I'll be delivering her first grandchild.

I want to know if I'm hormonal, and over-reacting, or – if not – how would people suggest I deal with this situation?

I worry she's a bit neglectful and careless with kids. I know babies aren't made of glass, but I worry about her injuring my child. Let me give you a background.

When I met my husband, his family always joked about how injured he was as a baby and child. He has about seven scars, and he got all of them when he was a baby/toddler/little child. His mom told me he would get them from tripping over his sister, falling into tables, etc. He required stitches a few times, and had a black eye in his kindergarten photo. I didn't think much of it until I realized he's not a clumsy adult. He's never had any kind of injury as a teen or grown up.

Then I saw my MIL play with a cousin's baby, and she was tossing it around with very little awareness of space. She ended up hitting the baby's head off a table. Furthermore, that same visit, I noticed that she neglects to feed her cat. I had to fill the cat's water, and it drank for the longest time. Her fish tank is filthy, and she refuses to walk her puppy, so she just puts in in the back yard. But then she wont clean up the poop, and jokes that her back yard has “landmines”. Sure enough, there's poop every three steps. She's quite overweight, and I worry that her weight problem means she just neglects a lot of things. I imagine my little one falling down a flight of stairs because she'd put it on the floor and then just sit down at her computer.

I know she loves us, and loves this baby, but I worry she's absent-minded and careless. It's not that I don't want her to see and hold the baby, I just don't want her to look after our child without me there. I can see this being an issue, because I plan on having my Mom/Stepdad as well as my FIL (they're divorced ) look after our kids without us present.

To give you an example of her bad decision making, I'll tell you this one story. Last year, she proudly told me about her trip to Cuba with other divorced girlfriends. She said she met a sexy young man in his 20s (she's 53) and he wanted to go back to her room for sex. They planned a time, but he never showed. She saw him again, he apologized, and invited her to his home about 45 min away from the resort (again, she proudly told me it was for sex). It took her girlfriends actively stopping her from going with this young stranger - in a foreign country - to a secondary location. I'm all for older women having sex lives, but this is crazy, right?!?

I feel like her choices will worry me. I kind of want to have a talk with my hubby about her, and how I want to put stricter restrictions on her than the other parents. Is that fair???

Thanks in advance.

Re: Mother in Law issue. Needing advice.

• Options
    Totally fair. Good to know that these sort of cuts and stitches happen to kids in general, definitely makes me think less of that aspect of my worry.

I gave a few examples, but I should clarify, I'm not judging based on SOLE examples, but more using them as examples of things I've started to notice are recurring.

I'm sorry if I came off critical of her weight. I do worry for her weight because she has health issues, and I hope that she can take better care of herself. I mentioned the weight because I do notice it deters her from doing things that would be helpful and beneficial sometimes. I would like her to be healthier for herself and family is all.

True, the sex thing is OT. I do worry for her judgement though, that's all I meant. And she has been meeting people online for sex, so I just wish there was a way to talk to her about safety in general. Safety when it comes to both herself and family. She doesn't really listen to other people though, she just does what she wants. That's why I thought it might be a convo with my hubby.

I am getting the sense that I should hold off on a talk with my hubby for now though, cross any sort of bridge when we get there. That sounds good. I will try and just put it out of my mind for now. Take things a day at a time!

Thanks for everyone's input!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I understand where you're coming from.  The whole stranger in Cuba thing is a little horrifying- very poor decision making there on her part.

I do think, however, that you could be overreacting slightly and let me tell you why.  A couple weeks ago I was obsessed with my in-law's annoying, untrained dog.  I was absolutely convinced that the dog was going to bite the baby when she starts toddling around.  Long story short there, the dog will be fine as long as she doesn't get cornered.  But for that week it was nearly all I could think about and I was trying to find a way to tell my in laws that they had to get the dog some socialization and training (even without my obsessive thoughts, that would be an excellent idea for them) or I wasn't going to trust the dog around the baby.
    A couple weeks later I am still annoyed by the dog, and will keep a close eye on her during visits until she gets used to the baby, but I'm not worried about it.
    Is my worry about the dog as important as your worry about leaving your baby with an unattentive grandma?  No, but I think that crazy preggo hormones can make us obsess over things and blow them out of proportion and that's the example that I've experienced.

As far as your hubs being all bruised up as a kid- some kids are just that way.  I managed to knock out not one, but TWO of my baby teeth in separate incidents (tripped on a shoelace, kicked in the face on the playground), break my arm, get road rash bad enough it was xrayed, and a multitude of other injuries.  Some of us are just 'bruisers' as some people call them.

My advice would be to sit back and watch for a little while during family visits and worry about unsupervised visits later.
  • Options
    I understand where you are coming from in the worries about cleanliness. My own mom is a hoarder and won't be having the baby over unless the house is cleaned up. (my rule) If you are concerned after observing their interactions then don't allow them to be alone. I would avoid bringing it up unless you see her treat the baby badly. 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm not being sarcastic, it's good for me to hear all this advice and input. This is our first, and I'm thinking my anxiety might be higher than I realize.

I feel like because she's been nasty and unfair to me in the past, I might be focusing on the negatives and preparing myself for her to be a bad grandma. But you're right, that hasn't happened yet, and maybe I will have nothing to worry about!

This has helped set my mind at ease. I will definitely not think on it right now, and only consider a talk if something happens in the future.
  • Options
    Justabean3Justabean3 member
    edited August 2014
    JuliaB317 said:

Thanks everyone. I'm not being sarcastic, it's good for me to hear all this advice and input. This is our first, and I'm thinking my anxiety might be higher than I realize.

I feel like because she's been nasty and unfair to me in the past, I might be focusing on the negatives and preparing myself for her to be a bad grandma. But you're right, that hasn't happened yet, and maybe I will have nothing to worry about!

This has helped set my mind at ease. I will definitely not think on it right now, and only consider a talk if something happens in the future.

I think you might be blinded by your own hate which I totally get. I say give her a chance because I swear the people I least think will suprise me with my kids do. I mean that super nice
  • Options
    I totally understand where you are coming from with your MIL bc I struggle with similar issues with mine. Add in hoarder and chain smoker. My husband and I are thankfully on the same page about our child going anywhere near her house. After she chained smoked in her house while I was over in the 1st tri I have stopped going over myself. It's just not a safe environment. I will probably let her watch our LO at our house bc it is an environment that is somewhat controlled. But it will be on OUR terms with OUR rules (no smoking and do not take the baby in your car) What really upsets me is that my husband has told her why we haven't been over and why we will make restrictions on her time spent with our child and she just makes excuses and blames others... It's so frustrating.
  • Options
    I really like this thread. Me and my MIL don't see eye-to-eye on many things when it comes to parenting... But that doesn't mean she can't babysit every once in a while! I'm not asking her to raise my child, but I'm asking her to be a grandma. I think the same goes for this situation. Your baby won't always be in her care, and when the baby is and an accident happens (or in my case, she lets the toddler/child do something they aren't normally allowed to do or whatever), don't over-react! Know that things happen and you can't always prevent them. But be aware. If you are concerned, don't ignore it either. And who knows? She did raise a son that you fell in love with, so she did do something right. Give her that. She knows something that you might not, and you may find yourself asking her for advice or help at some point.
    ~~~My baby girl is due November 4th, 2014~~~
  • Options
    Give her a chance to surprise you, however always trust your mommy instincts because I found mine to be right 100% of the time.
  • Options

1) As someone that has genuine reasons to dislike her in laws, I get it. It is hard to separate real issues that should be concerning from issues that are really just nitpicking. My DD is almost 3 and I still find myself having to examine things closely to determine if something is really and issue or if it is something I am making an issue because of my dislike.

2) The woman is an adult and can have as much sex with other adults as she wants. I say good for her.

3) Give her a chance. Maybe you will decide the baby cannot be around her alone, or maybe you will be surprised. And toddlers are clumsy. My kid falls all the time.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I totally understand your concerns because none of my in-laws are attentive with kids in the least. We went on a family trip this summer, and they all were okay with a 2-year old being in a full-sized pool without supervision simply because he was sitting in an inflatable toy. Enough said! 

However, I agree with PPs that you should wait and see how she does with your baby before you start laying down rules and/or stressing too much about her interactions with your child. Even if your husband wasn't a clumsy child, he could have been a child who played really hard with his little buddies and got pretty banged up in the process. Even though she didn't seem to be too gentle with a cousin's baby, you may find that she acts differently when she's dealing with her own grandchild. 

With that said, I don't think your concerns are insane and should be totally ignored, as you seem to have plenty of other reasons that you may be worried about her carelessness. Keep those feelings in the back of your mind and remember that you don't have to leave your child with her unattended if you and your husband aren't comfortable with that. She also doesn't have to be made aware every time your family watches your baby. 

I understand your feelings because I am also a FTM and tend to be a "worrier," but try to keep in mind that we are learning as we go as new parents. Why stress yourself over a potential problem when it may not even be an issue? Good luck! :) 
  • Options
    I would say this is something you should definitely keep your husband in the loop about.  You are both your child's parents, not her.  She doesn't need to know that you are deliberately not leaving your baby with her, or the specific reasons.

I have quite a few people who I do not leave my daughter alone with, and none of them know.  I just try to be vague if they ask to take her to the park or on an outing, and that has worked for me!

Also, if you just wait until something happens, you may see that she really doesn't want to babysit or be left alone with your baby!  It sounds like she is having fun with her own life and possibly happy to be past the childcare stage of her life!
  • Options

First, I would say trust your husband.  I'm sure he loves him mother, but adult children also, at least most of the time, know their parents.  He knows if any accidents that happened to him or siblings or other children when he was younger occurred due to true neglect OR just kids being kids.  If you trust your husband, you have to trust he would not put your child in a situation where he, himself, is hesitant or worried about LOs well-being.

Ditto others - according to my H and everyone I know - I'm a total chopper mom with DS.  I feel like I've become much more laid back personally, but despite me feeling like I'm over-aware of where he is, what he's doing - he has a mark, bump, scratch, etc. everyday.  I've been two steps behind him and he's run, tripped, and banged himself up.  At school, he's managed to hit the same exact spot on his left eyebrow at least 5 times, one time I had to take him for stitches.  Kids are kids - even if you're right next to them they find a way to get some sort of injury.

You don't have to leave your child with anyone alone, whether you are comfortable or not.  There is a lot of anxiety as a FT mom, it does get better with time.  I love my MIL, my ILs are way more laid back than I am though.  However my MIL watches and interacts with DS like a hawk, because I do.  See if MIL follows your lead.  It will be a while before you'd want to leave a newborn with anyone so you can cross that bridge when you get to it and see how she does while you are around.

The one-night stand story is just odd for a MIL to tell you - but I would think she must be incredibly open/honest with you to share that type of a story?  Maybe that means she's not the type to hide things from you which can be a bonus - what you see is what you get.  Your poor H if he had to listen to this story about his mom!

• Options
    I would talk to your husband and make sure you're on the same page BEFORE it becomes an issue.  My MIL will never watch our children, and that is something both DH and I agree on and have for a long time, long before kids were even in the picture.

I have to say that the fact that she tOLD you about meeting this young man for sex and that she's been meeting people online for sex is the most bizarre thing in the world to me.  I would never ever ever in a hundred thousand years want to hear that information from my mother or MIL or aunt or anybody "of that generation" that was related to me, and I'm totally skeeved out that she'd tell you that. Does your husband know that stuff too? I would think that alone right there is a red flag that something isn't quite right in the head, and should set off some warning bells for both you and your husband.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Just don't worry about that right now, wait and take things as they come.  If she asks you to leave your child in her home without your supervision you don't have to do it, but you neither have to put restrictions on her, just be creative in saying "no". 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    It's definitely your choice to leave baby with your MIL or not. Mine doesn't watch our DD, me and my husband talked about why and we both agreed who we were comfortable with and who we weren't.
    As a recovering anorexic/bulimic, overweight doesn't mean unhealthy just like skinny doesn't mean healthy.
  • Options
    I am in the same boat with my mother in law. She is a terrible mother and in my opinion being a grandmother is something you earn not just a right. She is a chain smoker and heavy drinker and I do not feel comfortable with even the idea of her being alone with my daughter. Trust your instincts as a mother. If you aren't comfortable with it don't do it. No one can say what is right or wrong in this situation. I hope this helps.
  • Options
    You know this woman better than anyone on here. If she gives you bad vibes about leaving your kid alone with her, then don't. You absolutely don't have to. 
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"