December 2014 Moms
Options

Anyone On Strict Meal Plan?

Doctor suggested I maintain my weight and I'm willing to do that or even safely drop some weight. I was a vegan for nearly 2 years before I met my partner and I would always exercise, loved biking. I want to start a healthy meal plan for myself and the baby but I want to make sure it is safe, also start exercising. I've just been walking but it isn't enough for me.
Any suggestions?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    I will definitely ask in my next appointment, thank you!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Doctor suggested I maintain my weight and I'm willing to do that or even safely drop some weight. I was a vegan for nearly 2 years before I met my partner and I would always exercise, loved biking. I want to start a healthy meal plan for myself and the baby but I want to make sure it is safe, also start exercising. I've just been walking but it isn't enough for me. Any suggestions?
    Welcome and congrats!  

I would recommend talking to your OB they know your medical situation and what would be "safe" more than a group of internet strangers. 

Test
  • Options
    The RN at my OB's office gave me quite a few ideas on my first visit. I second the OB. Why should you not gain weight BTW. Just curious.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I will ask my OB!
    Just wanted to read a few experiences.
  • Options
    What did they suggest you?
    He wants me to be at my fit weight once I deliver. He's big on weight lol
  • Options
    Doctor suggested I maintain my weight and I'm willing to do that or even safely drop some weight. I was a vegan for nearly 2 years before I met my partner and I would always exercise, loved biking. I want to start a healthy meal plan for myself and the baby but I want to make sure it is safe, also start exercising. I've just been walking but it isn't enough for me. Any suggestions?
    I will ask my OB! Just wanted to read a few experiences.
    What did they suggest you? He wants me to be at my fit weight once I deliver. He's big on weight lol
    Just putting these together. 

Test
  • Options
    What did they suggest you? He wants me to be at my fit weight once I deliver. He's big on weight lol
    Umm.. maybe you need a second opinion or be sure to have regular appointments with a nutritionist to make sure you aren't causing more harm than good.  

Test
  • Options
    You're right. He said it was just the best thing for me and the baby, that's the only reason why I'm trying to see if others are doing anything similar.
  • Options

Did you ask him why he didn't want you to gain weight? That seems like very outdated and unsafe advice. Your baby needs you to gain weight. Consider that the baby, the placenta, your uterus, increase in blood volume, and fluid levels will all weigh quite a bit. How could it be healthy to not gain any weight or lose weight? The recommended weight gain is 25-35 pounds for a reason.

It's okay to question your doctor if his/her advice seems archaic and unhealthy for your baby. I think you'll be hard up to find another person in your situation that can give you advice on not gaining weight. I think most women would tell you to find a new doctor.

BabyFruit Ticker

ttc #2 since 2004 Me (35): Stage 3 Endo, DH (34): High DNA Frag

IVF/ICSI #2: April 2014: BFP!!!!!!

ET of 2 great quality embryos. + BFP on 9dp5dt. Beta #1 (10dp5dt): 257, Beta #2 (14dp5dt): 1561,

Beta #3 (21dp5d5): 8,172. Wow. It seems this is actually working. Shocked beyond belief.

1st u/s @6w5d: Baby A hb 124, Baby B hb 127 (Both measuring perfectly!)

Lost baby A. Praying that baby B stays healthy. Baby B hb 175 at 11 weeks

It's a GIRL!!!

imageimageimage

My Blog

• Options
    I surprised as well. I've gained about 13 pounds and am 22 weeks. But he said he wants me to be at my ideal weight once I deliver my baby, so said to maintain my weight. I was also wondering how is that possible if I still need 17 weeks, like you said about the placenta, uterus and baby growing. I didn't really like that but he's the only doctor I now know that does planned c-sections. The one I was with before retired. So I'm going to see how my next appointment goes, depending on that, I'm planning to make a decision on keeping him as a doctor.
  • Options
    Im confused on what your Dr. Means by "fit" or "ideal" weight?
    T: 10/04/06 L: 4/22/09 Baby: EDD: 1/30/14 MMC & D&C: 7/3/13
    Baby 2: EDD: 8/06/14 CP: 11/13

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    He said the weight I'm suppose to be due to my height. I was close to being a little above my weight when I got pregnant and he says if I come out of the hospital once I deliver then I will only drop a max of 20 pounds. So he wants me to weight about 130-135 lbs being 5'5"
  • Options
    I would definitely talk to a nutritionist or see if they have one on staff at the doctor's office who can offer a meal plan.  Being pregnant is so tricky when it come to food.  Yes, you want to be healthy but following a strict diet may backfire if you aren't working with a nutritionist. 

• Options
    bowlwomanbowlwoman member
    edited August 2014
    This sounds over the top to me, to be honest. I'm a very plus-sized woman and even I have license to gain 15 pounds over the course of my pregnancy, the weight of the baby, placenta, blood, etc. ONLY larger moms have been given this advice AFAIK. Most women are recommended to gain 25-35 pounds because the extra weight goes to the maternal stores (breasts and hips) to provide a nourishment pool when breast feeding.

I would definitely get a second opinion about this, because it goes against every source of information I know about weight gain in pregnancy (this is my third over the last 8 years).

And I'm on a "strict meal plan" due to bring diabetic, but it's related to carb amounts only. I'm still supposed to consume 2200 calories per day.
    BabyFruit Ticker       
    DD1 - 8 years
    DD2 - 6 years
    BFP3 - 3/31/14, Harmony Test 6/5/14 - It's a BOY!

• Options

He said the weight I'm suppose to be due to my height. I was close to being a little above my weight when I got pregnant and he says if I come out of the hospital once I deliver then I will only drop a max of 20 pounds. So he wants me to weight about 130-135 lbs being 5'5"

I would get a second opinion.
    T: 10/04/06 L: 4/22/09 Baby: EDD: 1/30/14 MMC & D&C: 7/3/13
    Baby 2: EDD: 8/06/14 CP: 11/13

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    RayRay007RayRay007 member
    edited August 2014
    chicorojo said:
    I would get a second opinion.
    Yep. This is ridiculous. If anything , you should be at your ideal weight plus the recommended weight gain for healthy, normal weight women of 25-35 lbs. 

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    CandEChicagoCandEChicago member
    edited August 2014
    Putting these together

You're right. He said it was just the best thing for me and the baby, that's the only reason why I'm trying to see if others are doing anything similar.
    I surprised as well. I've gained about 13 pounds and am 22 weeks. But he said he wants me to be at my ideal weight once I deliver my baby, so said to maintain my weight. I was also wondering how is that possible if I still need 17 weeks, like you said about the placenta, uterus and baby growing. I didn't really like that but he's the only doctor I now know that does planned c-sections. The one I was with before retired. So I'm going to see how my next appointment goes, depending on that, I'm planning to make a decision on keeping him as a doctor.

Test
  • Options
    I think part of the process of you deciding if you want to keep him as a doctor is that you get a second opinion and see what other doctor's are recommending and offering. 

Test
  • Options
    Cheekers2010Cheekers2010 member
    edited August 2014

I'm sorry but this is not right. I realize I am not a doctor or nutritionist. And I don't know what weight you started at. But, a healthy NON-PREGNANT bmi for a woman who is 5'5" is up to about 145 lbs (bmi of 25). That's when you're not pregnant. When pregnant you need to gain additional weight to account for extra blood volume, placenta, baby, uterus plus fat stores, etc. As pp's have mentioned that's typically 25-35 lbs for a normal size (which it sounds like you are) woman. Many women gain much more because that's just what their bodies do during pregnancy. I would be running as fast as I could to another doctor. Frankly I find it very upsetting that your doctor is trying to get you to maintain or lose. OMG.

eta: you don't mention if you have any health conditions that would affect how much you should gain. Obviously that can be a factor.
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • Options
    Yea....that's ridiculous. I would side eye the shit out of that doctor and get a second opinion. You're pregnant - you are supposed to gain some weight. His ideals seem way off.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Read a book and ignore your doctor.

I'm not hungry, I'm HUUUNNNNNGGGRRRRRYYYY! NOW!

Dec 2014 Dec Siggy, Free For All

Big E- 2008

Miss M- 2011

Baby Z- 2012

Baby Smoosh, Due Dec 2014

• Options
    I'd def get a second opinion. Nothing you are saying makes sense at all. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Favorite Teen Crush: Zach Morris

My special Little Lady
  • Options

Wow! I've never heard a doctor say this! Nearly every woman will gain weight during pregnancy and I would see a different doctor if I were you!

• Options
    Find a different doctor.

I lost weight during my second and fourth pregnancies, but I was heavier and losing weight or gaining very little is more common in women who are heavier at the start of their pregnancy.

But if you're of normal weight then gaining weight, 25-35 lbs, is not an issue at all. Your doctor's stance on weight gain is erroneous, and it would be in your best interest to look for another provider.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• Options

Unless you are very overweight or obese, you should expect to gain weight during pregnancy. 

As for the bolded, are you planning an elective c-section?  I would run far away from this guy if he's offering up non-medically indicated c-sections.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Thing 1: 6/2012 Thing 2: Due 12/2014
  • Options
    Undereating hurts the baby. Overeating hurts the mom. You have to gain some weight. Also as a reformed vegetarian of 14 years I would consider eating at least seafood if not meat during your pregnancy. I had two kids during that 14 year period and added seafood to one of those pregnancies, I'm really glad I did. Its now 8 years after my youngest and I'm a full fledged meat eater, pregnant with baby 3 and man I feel the health benefit of healthy lean animal proteins.
    Good for you for seeking information if what your doctor is saying seems a bit off, which it does!
  • Options

Unless you are very overweight or obese, you should expect to gain weight during pregnancy. 

As for the bolded, are you planning an elective c-section?  I would run far away from this guy if he's offering up non-medically indicated c-sections.
    I was just about to post this. I was reading through the posts very surprised that no one had pointed it out yet. Judging by the fact that she seems to want a planned c-section...I think any advice here is falling on deaf ears...or mud.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
  • Options
    I wasn't touching the planned c-section. Figured it was poorly written on her part or there might be a medical condition she was not mentioning. Besides there is still a chance the LO will voluntarily come before the elective c-section.

OP - you do know recovery time is longer after a c-section? They might even have you on work out restrictions making it longer for you to loose baby weight.

Test
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Yeah, either MUD or someone with weight-gain issues. I can't believe a credible doctor these days would actually say something like that. Think of the potential lawsuit.
    BabyFruit Ticker       
    DD1 - 8 years
    DD2 - 6 years
    BFP3 - 3/31/14, Harmony Test 6/5/14 - It's a BOY!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"