October 2012 Moms

NBR - Building A Home?

Hi, we are thinking of buying land to build a home. There is nothing out there we like and can't find the land we want in the school district we want.

DH is all about buying and building but I'm reluctant, it actually stresses me out.  Anyone build? Stressful? 1st time building? DS is a handful right now, I'm not sure I could handle the stress of building a house, work and DS's temper tantrums and sleepless nights
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: NBR - Building A Home?

• Wow!  Thank you NeedUtonite so many things to think about and lots of great questions we didn't think of. 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We just started the building process. We adore the guy we are workin with. He is very flexible and we are doing our research on every little part. I was reluctant to build too, bc DH and I work very differently. I can see something like it and say go. DH needs to compare it and think about it. It's going to be a rough few months!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We built our first house and will never build again. Although a late stage spec is not out of our possibilities. Too many hidden cost, builder problems. @NeedUtonite‌ that was a great post to summarize it all.
    Hey I just met you, and you're my baby. This is your family, we're kind of crazy...Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie - (tl9S)Lilypie - (zrx8)imageimageimage
  • Just wanted to say good luck i soo want a second home by the water and thought of getting land to build a cottage.
    A gurl has got to dream right:)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We are thinking about doing prefab.
  • nealbl said:

We just started the building process. We adore the guy we are workin with. He is very flexible and we are doing our research on every little part. I was reluctant to build too, bc DH and I work very differently. I can see something like it and say go. DH needs to compare it and think about it. It's going to be a rough few months!

Oh noooo, your hubby must be a green personality? :) Haha! Have you ever done True Colors or Real Colors? If he's a green you'll have to be very patient while he mulls everything over! I'm married to a green so I can empathize. :)

• We built our first home, but my husband and his father are in the construction business and had a lot of contacts. That being send we decided to buy an older home for our second home and flip it. There is just so much value in the older homes. The are much better built and usually just need some updating.

It reminds me of a show on TLC where they compare using the same money to refinish their current house vs buying a new house. You may want to sit down with paper and make a list of your must have. Then compare the cost between your two options. Location is always the most important!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"