Baby Showers

Grandparents gift at Baby Shower

My sister is throwing my DH and I a coed Baby Shower this weekend. My DH is in the military so we have lived far from our families since we got married. This has made it more difficult for both of our parents to feel included as we prepare for the baby. We are traveling to our hometown for the shower. I wanted to have a gift to give each set of grandparents at the shower to celebrate the first grandchildren for each of them (we are expecting twins). I originally thought of a cute baby frame for them, but since they are both planning to travel to our house after the babies are born I thought that I could give them the frame then with a picture of them with the babies in it. I was hoping you guys may have an idea of a gift to give them to celebrate them becoming grandparents to help them feel more included before the babies arrive.
Thank you for your suggestions.

Re: Grandparents gift at Baby Shower

• @MandJS Thank you for your comment. I understand and agree to a certain extent with what you are saying. I had considered that. Neither grandparents are hosting. I asked my sister (the host) her opinion and she said she thought it was a sweet idea and was trying to help me think of gift ideas.

Our families live over 7 hours away so appointments are not an option. However I would not invite them to that even if it was. I also will not be inviting them to the hospital room either.

We will only be in the area where they live from friday to sunday including driving time. So I would give them the gifts in private, but I am just not sure if that will be feasible. I was not suggesting that I stop the whole shower and have people watch as they open it though. Just a little something to give to them so they feel a little more included.

*I had changed my username a few days ago and I think it just showed up now. Sorry for the confusion. I am the original poster.
  • Hmm... I'm going to be a dissenting voice to the replies so far.

I've been to one or two showers where the MTB gave the grandmothers-to-be a gift, usually a frame, or something that was overtly "grandparent-ish."  I know that the shower is to celebrate the MTB and welcome her to motherhood, but I didn't find this odd at all.  When this has been done, it's always been at a smaller shower where the guests are mostly family and close friends.

If you want to give them a gift, I'd give them the frames and let them worry about taking pictures and getting them printed.  Once you have your twins at home, you won't want that additional task on your shoulders before the grandparents come to visit, trust me.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Loading the player...
  • ccamccam member

I personally took a minute at my shower to thank both my Mom and my MIL for all of their help and support after opening my gifts (I also thanked them each for the shower, but they hosted them, so different than your situation).  I think it meant a lot to them.

If you're looking for a gift to give to them after the shower, Etsy has a lot of customizable jewelry that would be a good option.  For Mother's Day one year, I gave both grandmothers a necklace which said "nana" / "nonna" on them - they love them and still wear them everyday.   

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"