December 2014 Moms
Options

STM's - Breastfeeding/Pumping logistics?

I'm sure I am over thinking or maybe not thinking at all, but can you STM's help me out with the logistics of BF/Pumping exclusively. I've read that baby needs to eat every 2 hours or so and that BF can take roughly 45min. So do you feed 2 hours from when they stopped eating? And how/when would there be time to pump if you want milk available for your DH to help with feedings?! At what point do you start pumping (i.e. after 1st month, 2nd?) and how does the timeline of how often you feed change (i.e. every 2hrs for 4 weeks, then move to every 3? 4?) So many questions. 

Clearly getting info I won't need for another 5 months is more important than working ........ 
:D

Re: STM's - Breastfeeding/Pumping logistics?

• Options
    Oh wow, thank you SO much for this @twolittledogs!!! Such great info! It's nice to have some form of reference to know what to expect. 
  • Options
    I was always told not to pump until your supply regulates as it can cause painful oversupply issues. If I remember correctly it takes about a month for your milk to regulate.

I only pumped with my first since I was in school. I pumped in the mornings on one side while he was eating on the other. Then I pumped for whatever nursing session he missed.

As far as feeding schedule, you need to feed every 2 hrs (from the time they finished) until they are back up to their birth weight. After that I wouldn't worry about a schedule so much, but to feed on demand and listen to their cues. Some will still want to eat every 2 hrs some will go longer.
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Its best to BF on demand, that might be every 1hr - 3hr.  It goes by the start of one feeding to the start next. Not all babies take 45 min to feed and the time usually decreases as they get older and more efficient.  There really isn't a timeline when babies can go longer between feedings.  As they get older, you might get 4 hours but then a growth spurt hits and you cluster feed every hour.

Unless you are going back to work right away, you shouldn't start pumping until 6 weeks or so when your supply is established. When you do pump, do it after you BF.  You may only get an oz or 2 but you can combine milk from multiple sessions.  I hating pumping so if I was home I fed baby.  That meant I did all MOTN feedings but it was better than pumping. If you do have YH bottle feed, you will need to pump to make up for that feeding.

The Breastfeeding board is very helpful.  Also check out kellymom.com.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Thing 1: 6/2012 Thing 2: Due 12/2014
  • Options
    I found a pretty good "Timeline" on pintrest, but as @twolittledogs‌ mentioned it will have you all jacked up. Remember every mom and baby are different so try to only use it as point of reference not bible.

This will be my third baby and am committed to BF. With my first I was young and frustrated and it didn't happen. With my second I did it for 4 months along with supplementing formula. It seemed that I didn't produce enough. Now 11 years later I look back and I wasn't eating or hydrating enough to produce enough. I'm really excited to go all in with this LO.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I really want to BF and am going to try my very best. Fingers crossed it works out. I am still purchasing/registering for a couple bottles to have on hand, just in case. Although a friend of mine suggested that having them available in the first 6 weeks might encourage me to give up sooner. Now I'm going between wanting to be prepared and not giving myself an "easy out". I mean, worse case DH could run to the store I suppose. Not like we live in the middle of nowhere. 
  • Options
    I breastfed on demand, which, for my girls, was about every 75-90 minutes due to issues with GER. I pumped after my supply was established with my first, with the idea that I'd have breast milk ready if/when I'd introduce a bottle. She never took to the bottle so it was pretty futile. So she and my second daughter were exclusively breastfed. I never pumped with my second daughter.

I pumped part-full time and nursed with my youngest. I pumped until he was about 5.5 months. We struggled with breastfeeding due to challenges with his posterior and anterior tongue tie which made milk transfer pretty much impossible. So until the tongue ties were clipped I pumped full time, and even after I had to continue pumping because he had a disorganized suck and I was dealing with a dysfunctional letdown on my right side. I pumped every three hours during the day in the beginning, and then every four to five in the evening. I used a hospital grade pump to help build my supply and a lot of various galactagogues. It was a huge struggle, and I hated pumping (due to the letdown issues on the one side).

I did nurse him at night when his suck started getting stronger, and then at 5.5 months I stopped pumping and returned him to the breast. When I exclusively breastfeed, from the tap, they nursed until they were done or fell asleep. Repeat about 90 minutes later (sometimes much less, like in my son's case, he nursed 17 times a day in the early weeks due to insufficient milk transfer). I didn't do schedules, and I typically nursed from one side for one feeding, and the other for the next.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• Options
    First of all, do not stress about the timing. In fact, disregard it completely. It will completely mind fuck you. If the baby is hungry, nurse it.

Pumping should not start until 6 weeks. Much sooner and you risk building an oversupply which is horrible to deal with.

Yes, both of these things!

The first two weeks you should just focus on feeding when baby is hungry and sleeping when you can between feedings. For me the first few weeks were the hardest of my life (recovering from surgery and learning how to breastfeed.) But don't worry. You will be so tired you won't remember any of it anyway. And it only gets easier! You and baby will find your rhythm and over time the feedings get further apart and you'll gain your confidence as a mom. 

I started pumping way too early with my daughter because I was so paranoid she wasn't eating enough that I ended up with enough breastmilk in my freezer to feed an army. Not to mention some very unnecessarily sore boobs.

• Options
    Pumping should not start until 6 weeks. Much sooner and you risk building an oversupply which is horrible to deal with.

Unless you're having trouble establishing a supply (like me) in which case, it helped to pump after each feeding to encourage milk production

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    PP's have done a dang good job so I won't repeat everything.  I nursed DS every 2 hours (beginning of feed time to beginning of the next) until he got back up to his birth weight and then on demand. The LC told me to wake him up every 2 hours and nurse so that's what I did--I will not be doing that this time.  I will let the baby sleep and then feed when she is ready.  

As far as pumping, I'd definitely wait until 6 weeks.  I used a hand pump just a handful of times to try and build up my stash which was a big mistake.  I had oversupply issues and then ended up getting a clogged duct...all from pumping just a few times!  

And ditto PP's that if it seems like the baby is attached to your boob for those first few weeks, that doesn't mean they aren't getting enough.  I was convinced that something was wrong, but it is completely normal and expected.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    This is all incredibly helpful! Thank you ladies!!!
  • Options
    Lots of great advice above. I'll add that having DH help with feedings is good in theory but for me it meant nothing bc I knew id still have to get up to pump. I may as well have baby on breast. What helped more was taking naps while DH watched baby when she wasn't eating.

I'm all for positive reinforcement so it kinda goes against my personality so say this...but expect it to be the hardest thing you've ever done. Read, prepare, meet LLC, and hopefully you'll be one of those mamas that says "oh yeah! Bf'ing was so easy. Baby latched right away, slept though the night, I had wonderful supply..." But on off chance that's not the case you won't feel so overwhelmed when it's difficult.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
  • Options
    This was an awesome read! Thanks for all the good advice. I also want to EBF and I have a good resource since my mom is a LC, but sometimes that just gets weird. 

Nathaniel Richard born 12/20/14
    Dating 7/2/2004 * Married 8/16/2008
  • Options
    Lots of great info above!

I just want to add that the pump is never as efficient as baby at getting milk out of the breast. So nursing is always the best way to increase supply, and how much you pump is not always a good indicator of how much you're producing. 

Also, read as much as you can, take a class, line up contact info for a few LCs, join a FB group now, look for other in person groups to attend after baby arrives, etc. I really feel preparation, education, and support are all critical for success!

D14 November Siggy Challenge - How I Feel 3rd Tri:
    imageimageimageimage

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I personally found that loading up the DVR or having a Netflix show available for the middle of the night feedings was good for me. It at least kept my mind on something other than how many times a night I was up feeding the baby. :)

I didn't pump much at all with the girls, just enough to have some frozen milk on hand if DH and I decided to go out for a few hours and we had a babysitter. With this one I'm working, but 100% from home, so I'm not sure how we're going to handle daycare yet. I'm hoping to be able to nurse as needed while working, so if I can, then I'll probably pump just the same, to have some milk on hand for date night. If not, then I'll have to figure out the logistics of pumping a lot more.
    BabyFruit Ticker       
    DD1 - 8 years
    DD2 - 6 years
    BFP3 - 3/31/14, Harmony Test 6/5/14 - It's a BOY!

• Options
    Although a friend of mine suggested that having them available in the first 6 weeks might encourage me to give up sooner. Now I'm going between wanting to be prepared and not giving myself an "easy out". I mean, worse case DH could run to the store I suppose. Not like we live in the middle of nowhere. 
    DH have been worrying about this.  We really don't want to buy a lot of things we don't need but want to be prepared (FTM here).  Especially items related to BFing and sleeping (since so many people say that it depends on the LO).  Our plan is to buy the minimum, but do all of our research about items/brands etc, and set up a registry/wish list on Amazon with the things we'd want IF we need them.  That way, we can just hit the "purchase" button as soon as we think we need them. 
  • Options
    This is my 3rd baby but i've never tried breastfeeding.  I really want to do it this time but i feel so overwhelmed and unknowledgeable about it.  I signed up for a class.  Do you guys think the classes are helpful?

When do you switch sides?  How do you know that they are done, do they just turn their head? How do you know if they are getting enough?  See, so many questions that are probably dumb
    @-)
    Audrey- December 2009
    Owen- April 2011
    Olivia- Due December 24th
  • Options
    @Prinycesa07 I think most of these things should be covered in your class and the links that twolittledogs provided above are SUPER helpful I think. Lots of info. 
  • Options
    Great info all the way through. Common themes I wholeheartedly agree with, don't stress and listen to your body and your baby's!
    Logistical piece with obamacare in effect, most health insurances have to cover breast pumps as durable goods so get a prescription from your doc or midwife and have it filled at a pharmacy or baby store that does durable goods! Woot woot.
  • Options
    I know nothing about BFing either but I am thinking about taking a free informational class at BRU with DH for the basics.  Also, as PPs have said, look into your insurance paying for the breast pump.  I just checked it out today and 90% of the cost is covered with no deductible!
    Married my best friend 7/2/11 - Furbaby born 7/9/11 and brought into our home 9/1/11

BFP#1:   2/2/13 ~ exact m/c date unknown but around 3/20 at 10 weeks ~ diagnosed with PMP ~ D&C on 4/5 ~ TTA for at least 1 year due to PMP ~ cleared to TTC 1/14

BFP#2:   2/7/14 ~ m/c 2/20/14 ~ possibly due to chemical pregnancy ~ TG no D&C is needed 

Surprise BFP#3:  4/4/14 ~ super duper extra happy (and nervous) about this one - EDD 12/9/14!!!

John Joseph was born on 12/12/14 at 7 lbs. 11 oz.  He is the most beautiful rainbow baby we could have wished for!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"