April 2013 Moms
Options

Scarlet fever

LO had what looked like a heat rash on Sunday. I uploaded a picture to Facebook and asked my parent friends. The consensus was heat rash.

I called the ped Monday morning because it had spread to her feet and hands and I was just worried. She is cutting a molar so she's also been really fussy. I'm so glad I did because she has scarlet fever. I didn't know that it even existed anymore. Apparently it's related to strep.

She's on antibiotics (her first round ever) and is doing so much better than on Monday. Ped says it will be really mild because we caught it early.

Just wanted to spread the word in case anyone else has a similar situation (rash, crying, refusing to eat).

Re: Scarlet fever

• Options
    Wow good catch. Did they test her for Strep? Throat swab or blood sample? Glad she is on antibiotics and that you called her doctor!
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic!Image and video hosting by TinyPic
               Warner, our early surprise, born March 12, 2013!
            Watching You Grow Everyday, Right Before Our Eyes!
  • Options
    Holy cow! I didn't know scarlet fever was around anymore either. Good on you for calling the doc! Hope LO makes a speedy recovery!
    Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Her throat was red but didn't have the normal signs of strep. The pediatrician said I could get her tested to confirm scarlet fever. I opted not to because it would be a blood test and it takes 2 to 3 days to get the results back. By then she would've been on antibiotics anyway because it's one of those things that is mild if you treat it early. The pediatrician said it was classic scarlet fever and she was 95% certain. I couldn't justify drawing blood, but if the antibiotics didn't work I would have.

She is doing way better. Rash is almost completely gone and she would seem like a healthy little kid to strangers. She's still fussy and not 100% back, but way better than I expected.
  • Options
    Scarlet fever is strep infection gone untreated for a long period of time. A throat culture would have confirmed the diagnosis by grading the infection. I had a level 4 strep infection. One step below scarlet fever. I also had scarlet fever on a separate occurrence. Although I am not a doctor, I'm surprised they diagnosed scarlet fever with no signs of strep and didn't insist on a confirmation. I have asymptomatic strep and my throat still looks lik strep. Scarlet fever is a serious health concern. It can lead to rheumatic fever if left untreated.

At any rate, I hope she feels better quickly!

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• Options
    She did not have strep. Scarlet fever is the same type of bacteria but not necessarily caused by strep. The incubation period is 2-4 days so we think she picked it up running errands.
  • Options
    Strep throat and scarlet fever are caused by one in the same bacteria. Streptococcus pyrogenes.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"