December 2014 Moms

Group B Strep?

Hi, I just found out that I tested positive for GBS. I'm currently a day shy of 20 weeks, has anyone else been though this and what should I expect? Thanks for the input!

Re: Group B Strep?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RN536 said:
    It's pretty common. I tested positive with my other kids. You get antibiotics before birth so if your water breaks at home get yourself to the hospital ASSP for antibiotics. Otherwise nothing else to do.
    This exactly.

Pregnancy Ticker

Joanna (30) Michael (31) 
    Twin sons born June 2009 after 1 Year ART, 
    Anthony and Brandon 6/25/09 
    Trying for #3 for 2 years
    IUI #10- BFP! m/c 2/23/2014 

• Loading the player...
  • With ds#1 I tested neg, with #2 I was positive. They just give you antibiotics while in labor.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Me too. All it means is that you will receive antibiotics in labor (typically Penicillin unless you are allergic, then there are other options) to protect baby from the bacteria, and they'll be keeping a slightly closer eye on baby after delivery for any related signs of infection (infection is rare if mom gets proper antibiotic treatment in labor).
    BFP #1 - 2/1/09-mc 2/5/09 @4wks
    BFP #2 - 6/24/09-mc 7/25/09 @8wks
    6/09 Dx w/PCOS--Metformin & Progesterone
    8/09 Dx w/Compound Hetero MTHFR--Neevo, Metanx & BA
    BFP #3 - 1/11/10 - DD1 born 9/16/10 @39w4d, 8lbs 14oz & 20in.
    Heparin from BFP to 34wks.
    BFP #4 - 10/4/11 - DD2 born 6/2/12 @38w1d, 8lbs 11oz & 21in.
    Same med protocol as last time, but heparin continued until delivery.
    BFP #5 - 3/30/14, EDC 12/10/14!!

Beta #1-76 (12dpo), Beta #2-238 (14dpo)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Wow, they tested you early! I was first tested at 31 weeks last time due to threatened ptl. It was positive but they said they would test every 4 weeks until delivery just in case it came back negative. All it means is that you will need antibiotics during labor. My doctor wanted to get in two rounds of iv antibiotics during labor. Because you are so early, they may test you again before delivery and if it comes back negative within 4 weeks of delivery, no antibiotics needed. This is my experience anyway.

DS 06/2013

DD 12/2014

• It's odd they're testing you so early (unless it's a urine result?). GBS status can change throughout pregnancy and typically results are only considered accurate for 5 weeks, which is why testing is often done at 37 weeks to be accurate when you deliver.
    It's a common bacteria 1/3 of women carry at birth that in rare cases can be passed to the baby, and in rare cases of those cases, can cause infection in the baby. So they take it seriously because the complications can be serious for that very small percentage of babies.
    Worth a talk with your Dr about what it means and what they'll want you to do differently... It always drives me nuts that's often not explained ahead of time before running the tests.
  • I don't know why they would test you now. The results are only valid for 6 weeks. You will need to be retested anyways... Most places around here take a swab at your 36 week appointment.
  • I tested positive for DD. They just gave me 2 doses of iv antibiotics while I was in labor.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers >Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Mine was a urine culture done at my first prenatal appt...came back positive (negative for both prior deliveries). My OB said we could still do the culture at 36 weeks if I want to, but usually when it's positive in the urine they treat in labor anyway. That's the experience I have had in treating patients at work too (L&D nurse). Many times the OB's don't even do the 36 week swab if the urine culture is positive.
    BFP #1 - 2/1/09-mc 2/5/09 @4wks
    BFP #2 - 6/24/09-mc 7/25/09 @8wks
    6/09 Dx w/PCOS--Metformin & Progesterone
    8/09 Dx w/Compound Hetero MTHFR--Neevo, Metanx & BA
    BFP #3 - 1/11/10 - DD1 born 9/16/10 @39w4d, 8lbs 14oz & 20in.
    Heparin from BFP to 34wks.
    BFP #4 - 10/4/11 - DD2 born 6/2/12 @38w1d, 8lbs 11oz & 21in.
    Same med protocol as last time, but heparin continued until delivery.
    BFP #5 - 3/30/14, EDC 12/10/14!!

Beta #1-76 (12dpo), Beta #2-238 (14dpo)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Not sure why they tested so early either? I haven't talked to my doctor yet, they just posted it in my personal "test results" email (which I'm not very happy about because then I just worry until they call back lol). I guess I'm a little nervous because I've had a daughter who died of anencephaly, so any abnormal results sends my nerves on high end. Thanks for the feed back ladies!
  • I had it with DS- you get antibiotics. They bother some people (like me, it felt like being stung by multiple wasps every hour or so for the duration of my labor) most people have no problem. I'm with the other posters- get tested again closer to your due date to see if the antibiotics are even needed. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • It's odd that they tested so early. I'd ask to be tested again closer to your due date. If positive, they give you antibiotics in labour. 

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• My coworker had it with her second. She said that is why she was induced so they could give her the antibiotics before she delivered.
  • Meaningless at this point. Here's some info anyways: https://evidencebasedbirth.com/groupbstrep/
    +1.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• I was tested for GBS at my first OB visit of my last pregnancy. My urine came up positive, so they put me on oral antibiotics right away and gave me a second round of antibiotics during labor. GBS is something that was a very big deal 100 years ago, but isn't anything to worry about today. Yay, antibiotics. 
                                   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My sister found out early as well. They just put her on antibiotics and kept an eye on it and everything was fine.

• I have GBS too.  They found it early in my urine, although I didn't have enough that I had a UTI.  I think that for my doctor, if you have it at all during your pregnancy they give you antibiotics during labor, they don't retest at 37 weeks or whenever.  My doctor made it sound like no big deal at all, even if you don't get to the hospital in time to get the 2 doses 4 hours apart, there is low risk of transmission.  They just keep us in the hospital for 48 hours to make sure.  Although most people are in labor for well over 4 hours.

My thinking is that if this is my biggest pregnancy complication, I'm doing great!

D14 December Siggy- Free For all:

Christmas holidays quotes

• I tested positive as well. Found it in my urine, I had to take a course of Amoxicillin and they will give me iv antibiotics when I go into labor.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"