March 2015 Moms
Options

To see or not to see?

edited August 2014 in March 2015 Moms
Yesterday my husband brought up the idea of waiting, and not finding out the sex this time. At first I was like WHAT?!? How could I wait, now I'm thinking it might be fun. We found out the first time. What is everyone thinking of doing? Can you handle the anticipation?

Re: To see or not to see?

• Options
    daizedoodaizedoo member
    edited August 2014
    We both want to find out. Better preparation, colors, names, etc.

ETA: Also, I hate surprises :\">

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't want to know until it's born.
  • Options
    Sex, not gender.  You can't find that out for at least a few years.

With our son we were Team Green.  It was fun.  Mostly listening to other people complain that we weren't finding out because THEY wanted to find out.  This time around we're going to find out.   DH wants to find out so I figured I'd let him have his way.  

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options
    janda426 said:
    We're paying money to go to one of those boutique ultrasound places to find out early. Yup, I'm one of those people lol
    How much do those typically cost?

• Options
    JCWhitey said:
    Sex, not gender.  You can't find that out for at least a few years.

With our son we were Team Green.  It was fun.  Mostly listening to other people complain that we weren't finding out because THEY wanted to find out.  This time around we're going to find out.   DH wants to find out so I figured I'd let him have his way.  

Sorry, sex :) I don't want to wait at all, but he seemed like he really did. So maybe I'll cave and let him have his way.
  • Options
    janda426 said:
    We're paying money to go to one of those boutique ultrasound places to find out early. Yup, I'm one of those people lol
    Yeah I really wanted to go do one of those 3d/4d ultrasounds this times around.there's a school here where you can get them done by students practicing for $20! Which is so much better then the usual $150-$200
  • Options
    My friend just had her baby about a week ago. The whole time they told her she was having a girl. She delivered a beautiful healthy baby boy. She had to go by all new stuff now cause she was prepared for a girl.

I guess I see the appeal to wait - because what if they're wrong

Me: 30
    Hubs: 31
    Married: 05/04/2013
    BFP#1: Natural Loss; 8/12/14
    BFP#2: D&C 3/7/15

Chart Stalk:

• Options
    daizedoo said:

janda426 said:

How much do those typically cost?

We're paying $75 for ours but I've seen it high as $150
  • Options
    The boutiques here I town are crazy expensive. They have 3d/4d going for like $250.

I just want a gender scan, as that's going to cost $90.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We did an elective u/s with Jonah. They said he was a girl. :-/ We'll find out this time as well but, it will either be through genetic testing or 20 week anatomy scan.
  • Options
    Haha, yeah I had a friend who was told girl at THREE u/s.  15, 20, and 30 weeks.  She had a son.  All I can think is that he was really, really shy.  So that's a possibility, too.  I'd never fully bank on and u/s to tell me the sex, although someone who is well trained won't make mistakes like that very often.

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options
    We are team green
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BFP 8/28/07, M/C 11/10/07

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

My BFP Chart|DIY obsessed

• Options
    janda426 said:
    I did this with DD and will probably do it again.
    imageimageimage
      imageimage
    image   image

August Siggy Challenge Photobomb
  • Options
    shelbell1028shelbell1028 member
    edited August 2014
    I reeeeallly want to find out but I gave DH my word that if we had # 3 that we would wait. It's going to be very, very hard for me!!!

image imageimage

Always in my heart: BFP 9/6/12 - M/C 9/25/12
  • Options
    We found out last time because DH really wanted to. This time we will probably be team green because I would rather wait.
    This is me as well.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Options
    I have to know everything I can. We'll find out in 2w when we get the panorama test results back!
    TTC #1 June 2010
    1/3/11 S/A - Count 45; Motility 32; Morph 4.3 - 2/10/11 - S/A Count 17mil; Motility 39; Morph 7.9
    1/5/11 Femara Cycle #1 = BFN  2/4/11 Femara Cycle #2 = BFP: 3/4/11 - Starting Progesterone suppositories 
    Beta#1 15DPO = 108; Beta#2 17DPO = 179; Beta#3 18DPO = 259; Beta 4# 20DPO =659!!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    TTC#2 Pulled goalie 5/12, PPAF 3/13, BFP 6/27 Beta 15DPO=248! 
    Dx Severe Hydrocephalus and severe Dandy Walker Cyst.   Stillborn 10/19/13
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    TTC#3 - (No preventing, TTC+progesterone starting 12/13)
    4/7/14 CD3 BW - FSH 5.6; AMH 0.469 - 4/11/14 S/A Count 35, Motility 47, Morph 1.5
    4/16/14 - Cycle 6 - Natural IUI - Beta 12DPIUI = 3; Beta 13DPIUI=4.  15DPIUI=6. 17DPIU=4. Chemical Pregnancy  
    TTC #4
    5/5/14 Dx MTHFR homozygous A1298C, Benched 1 cycle HSG 5/14 both tubes open w/scarring on the left   
    5/28/14 Starting clomid 6/8/14 IUI #2 1 dominant follicle 31mm Beta 11DPIUI =4, 15DPIUI = 74, 17DPIUI = 165 
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    How early can you get one of those 3d u/s and expect somewhat reliable results? There's no way I can wait until the birth! It's killing me waiting for 20 weeks already.
  • Options
    My H wants to know and in on the fence. So if anything, he will find out and keep it a secret. However, I can't see myself NOT knowing, so I'll probably find out. But I work in a newborn nursery and I see it all the time when they are wrong. I'd be scared of that.
    Me(29), DH (29)
    Married December 2011     TTC#1 Since November 2013
    Dec. 2013... BFP! 12/31/13... Natural M/C 1/29/14 (8 weeks)
    July 2014...BFP!... 17dpo beta 581...19dpo beta 1419!!.. stick baby, stick!
    EDD: 3/20/15.. It's a boy!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    augustpetalsaugustpetals member
    edited August 2014
    We had enough of a surprise with the pregnancy that I'm not sure DH and I could wait to find out the gender! We already plan on doing either grays or tans for the nursery, so if it turns out to to be the other way around we won't be unprepared! Plus love the idea of doing a gender reveal cake with family and friends :) any reason to eat cake!
  • Options
    We will probably go to one of those 3D places to find out early. We are going with gender neutral for a lot of our more expensive items anyway, but I just want to know. I'm hoping my mom will be in town, but for the rest of the family I will send out these little scratchers I found on etsy and a reveal cake for work.
  • Options
    We found out with DD and DS because I really wanted to know, but DH has always wanted it to be a surprise, so I think we will be team green this pregnancy.  I would still rather find out, but I feel much less strongly about it than I did with my first two (I don't know, maybe it helps I already have one of each, so I have zero preference re: boy vs. girl and feel prepared either way), so waiting will be easier this time than it would have been with them.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Options
    If we had one of each I might consider waiting. But I have zero patience and hate surprises so unlikely lol. Though I had a dream last night where I was able to pop my belly off and could see inside if I held it up to the light. Found out it was a boy and was devastated. Maybe I should take that as a sign!
  • Options
    As for techs being wrong, I've always been told that usually happens when they don't see something. If they don't see a penis they say girl, even though they didn't see the "hamburger bun" a girl would have. I always ask to see the goods myself before believing lol
  • Options
    I hate surprises. I read the ends of books before I read the beginning and middle. We will find out at the 20 week anatomy scan.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure we'll find out at the 20 wk ultrasound. If it's a boy we'll want to start getting some boy clothes and be prepared.

• Options
    We will find out at the A/S. 

• Options
    maybe it's stupid to put trust in this, and I am very skeptical, but last year my mother took me to see a psychic when I was all upset thinking I would never have children of my own. When my SO and I sat down with this lady she told us we would have 3 kids, the first would be a girl followed by 2 boys. I didn't believe her because dr.s told me I wouldn't have kids. Now I'm pregnant and I'm DYING to find out if she was right. And weirdly anyone who knows about this pregnancy says girl! So I want to find out ASAP! lol

M & N: 05.27.2012 <3 
    Natural M/C: 08.27.13 at 8 weeks
    BFP: 07.02.14 ! 
    Baby #1 EDD: 03.11.15 

image image image

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    We're going to wait until birth to find out the sex. I've always wanted it that way and my husband is warming up to the idea of the surprise being at the birth rather than halfway through the pregnancy. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I was Team Green with DD and could happily do it again.  I LOVED that delivery room 'It's a!' moment.  But DH wants to find out and this is his first, so I'm deferring to him this time around.

Piper, 4/10/10
    Connor, 3/16/15
    Morgan, EDD 9/22/16

• Options
    DH and I are way too type A to wait.... I hope to find out as soon as I can! I kind of like the idea of a sex reveal cake, but that might be just an excuse to eat cake.

image  image

TTC #1 May 2014

BFP 7/4/14 ~ EDD 3/17/15

My Chart

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    We've decided to let LO decide, which means that if we go into the AS and he/she shows us the goods, we'll know. If LO is shy, we'll wait.
  • Options
    I'm hoping to wait to find out! My sister tried this and the nurse gave them the u/s picture that had arrow, girl! If by chance we find out, I'm not telling anyone because if it's a boy, everyone will know his name as it is family tradition.

BFP: 7/11/2014. ~  EDD: 3/20/2015~  M/C: 8/29/2014 @ 11w
  • Options
    We're still undecided. DH wants to know, I want to try to be team green, and we can't decide. He said he was told "the sex of an unborn child is the last great mystery we experience in life" so he is starting to lean towards team green, too. I think when we tell our kids, we'll ask them if we should find out or wait, and weigh that too. 
  • Options
    @gdamore11 The thing is, while you CAN go in and get those as early as you want (note that sex organs aren't fully visible until 13-14 weeks) you may want to wait if you plan to actually do the 3D part of the ultrasound.  Fetuses don't really start looking like babies until 18 weeks.  There's a layer of skin over the eyes and ears, webbed hands and feet, etc.  The reason most doctors wait until 18-20 weeks for the a/s is because that's the point when they can start to see how development is really going.  So, yeah, it's up to you, but there's a reason people wait until a bit later to do 3D or  just pay to have a sex organ scan and not do 3D that early.

• Options
    mandi195 said:

We're still undecided. DH wants to know, I want to try to be team green, and we can't decide. He said he was told "the sex of an unborn child is the last great mystery we experience in life" so he is starting to lean towards team green, too. I think when we tell our kids, we'll ask them if we should find out or wait, and weigh that too. 

I feel the same as you...it would be an amazing surprise! My SO says he needs to know. He already has a son, so if it's a boy he won't be worried. If it's a girl he said he needs time to "mentally prepare". I think he's just being silly.
  • Options
    njxonjxo member
    I'm 8 weeks pregnant with our first child and my partner wants to wait until birth but I really want to find out asap. He is pushing it so I've decided to let him have this one and wait till birth but it's going to be tough! I'd like to know.
  • Options
    I cannot wait to find out!! If I had the money I would totally do the genetic testing right away!!! But I can't justify it!!! So I'm impatiently waiting till 20 weeks!!! 10 to go!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"